Tent fires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesican

Reaction score
A few months back the subject of tent fires came up and I had mentioned where a man had perished in one here at Soldotna park two years ago.&nbsp; Someone tried googling it and came up with nothing so I tried as well and found nothing.&nbsp; Well, after feeling like an idiot, I thought perhaps I dreamt it; but, prior to my excursion to the Denali Hwy, I had to have my windshield repaired.&nbsp; There's this "homeless" guy who stands in the Fred Meyers entrance with a sign for windshield chip repair so I stopped to have him fix mine.&nbsp; HE is the guy who had the tent fire.&nbsp; Though he didn't perish in the fire he was severely burned and showed me the scars.&nbsp; He said he's been living in a tent here on the Peninsula (it got 30 below this winter) for the past 10 years.&nbsp; He lost everything in the fire so went to his 2nd spot near homer which had been robbed.&nbsp;He&nbsp;had also been robbed of his origianl chip repair kit this spring.&nbsp; The communites here in Soldotna and Homer heard of his plight and&nbsp;collected enough money to replace&nbsp;his dwelling and his kit.&nbsp; He lives somewhere in the woods in town, but&nbsp;he tells me that he can tell no one, otherwise he may be kicked out.&nbsp;<br />&nbsp; I&nbsp;felt the need to clear&nbsp;this up since I miss spoke earlier.&nbsp; Apparently talk of his demise was a town rumor.&nbsp; He&nbsp;did say&nbsp;they kicked him out of the hospital after 3 days which greatly surprised me given the horrid scars and being homeless with no way to care for them and prevent infection.&nbsp; Gives me little faith in the hospital here.<br />Rae<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;<br />&nbsp;

Hospitals and Doctors are major players in the Matrix... There is only one thing motivating them and it is not your well being, its your money... The Matrix just sucks...

Gypsydreamer, you can rant all you want, I saw his scars.&nbsp; Did the hosptial kick him out or did he leave AMA, that I do not know.&nbsp; He is psychologically off and an alcoholic so going against medical advice is a high probability.&nbsp; <br /><br />However, when my 2nd child died inutero at 16 weeks and I went into hypovolemic shock from loss of blood and had an emergency D&amp;C at 10pm, they sent me home the next morning before noon still unable to walk from lack of strength.&nbsp; I had no insurance at the time.&nbsp; They knew they were unable to&nbsp;collect the cost of the ER&nbsp;and surgery&nbsp;and wanted to not create further expense which I was unable to pay.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't think a hospital does everything perfect and most of the time they are very professional when one has insurance, medicare, medicaid, etc.&nbsp; But, when one has none, its a different story.<br /><br />Rae&nbsp;

Thank you Gypsydreamer.&nbsp; Gandhi was a wise man and more need to follow his understanding.&nbsp; <br /><br />At the time when I lost my child, I was naive, scared, weak, and busy going back to college and raising my daughter.&nbsp;&nbsp; Standing up for others was always easy for me, standing up for myself has been a different story.&nbsp; I felt guilty not being able to pay and never realized what they did was wrong.&nbsp; Life has gone on and I'm hoping the effects of that loss only made me a better person for those whose lives I touch.&nbsp; There have been other tragedies in my life that were life changing as well.&nbsp; Working as a home health and hospice nurse for the past seven years has spent me even though its been a labor of love.&nbsp; I'm ready for the vandwelling life.&nbsp; The people on here are my mentors.<br /><br />Rae

Hospitals have for regulatory bodies:

1) Local and state hospital laws
2) Federal laws (like FDA)
3) The Joint Commiision (regulatory body - but voluntary)
4) Specific doctors, nurses, med techs professional accreditation and licenses

VA Hospitals have in addition
5) OIG - office inspector general
6) Congressional requests - must be answered
7) OSHA, NFPA, etc regulatory agencies that can enforce laws
8) EPA to enforce polution laws
9) Freedom of Information act - balanced against HIPPAA Patient privacy act.

<span id="post_message_1274795132">Life has gone on and I'm hoping the effects of that loss only made me a better person for those whose lives I touch.&nbsp; There have been other tragedies in my life that were life changing as well.</span>
<br /><br />So awesome you women have the souls to be nurses...I think that of Katie too...even though she is a retired nurse.<br /><br />You make such a difference to those of us who need you...<br /><br />bri

Gypsy - thanks for that. I wasn't a human nurse, but a nurses none-the-less.

Gypsy thx for your kind care of those in need. <br />IF 3/4 of the patient were unfunded then the system is broken.<br />Vote appropiately. We will either figure out how to fix it like the rest of the free world or go to rationed care and&nbsp;euthanasia.<br />You the people must decide which.