Late night intruder

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no human intruders. just animals that can be more worrisome than alot of humans tho LOL

I did walk into another's awning area thinking it was my camper. They had the exact same camper as we did and their truck color was the same as our truck....wild...and I walked right around the end and straight into a few people under their awning and I stopped....I know I had a what the hell look on my face and they gave me back that....wow what do YOU want look at me waiting for some talk....of course minute I said wrong camper and told them we are just down the way and almost exact we all had a good laugh :) it wasn't at night or anything creepy or sneaky but yes, people can mistake campsites sometimes.

Glad you handled your situation TZ! Late night creepers ain't cool but crap happens definitely.

Wow RoamerRv238, I would have been embarrassed but I do see the humor in your situation. Earlier that day we did get asked by a woman who was there with her daughter if they could cut through our site and had no problem with that. We generally don't mind if people ask to cut through and usually say go ahead but do admittably have different reactions to those who feel entitled. Our dogs are not the friendliest towards strangers and having people sneak through or just walk up is a liability and could result in somebody being bit which is the last thing we want to happen to anyone. Our dogs are good with kids though.

Keep in mind that most people out camping did not go there to see you. Very few legit reasons to be in your site.

In my experience as a camp host, most intrusions into someone's site were for theft. Then I would hear about the intrusion and the missing item.

For that reason it is reasonable to secure the perimeter of your site with the way you set up: tarps and clotheslines will work even when it is crowded. Also, hide the cooler. Coolers and all the food are a frequent theft item, and it's not yogi bear doing it.

Trails usually have a public access point and it is reasonable to ask people traipsing through to stay on the trail. That is just good camper ettiquette. "Stay on trail" is one of those signs we have all seen.
-crofter

TravelingZombies said:
Wow RoamerRv238, I would have been embarrassed but I do see the humor in your situation. Earlier that day we did get asked by a woman who was there with her daughter if they could cut through our site and had no problem with that. 
yes it is a nice day when people ask :)   We have that dog situation also and I get what you are saying.  
Worse site I ever booked was at a Jellystone campground, (for my little kid then) and it was on the tubing river and our site was right at the path to the river for getting in and out easy for tubing and omg the amt of people that walked under our awning, crashed into my clothesline and more was insane.....I mean 'there was a path!' yet no one could stay on it, everyone got off that path and ALL around my rv....drove me batty HAHA  Couldn't wait to leave that trip actually, very over it by the end of those few days.

RoamerRV428:

I am so with you re people cutting thru your campsite. A friend who knows how territorial I am suggested I get a roll of orange plastic construction fencing and enclose my car and tents, LOL. Actually, I thought it sounded like a good idea :)

thats good GJ.....what we did was angle stuff....angled the truck just right, then we moved that ratty ol' picnic table the sites give ya to block another path and more.....made an obstacle course to 'veer the tubers' in another direction, most times it worked, other times people ignored it and STILL would just totally blow off any space manners ya know....but I never would think the crime tape HAHA

GypsyJan said:
RoamerRV428:

I am so with you re people cutting thru your campsite. A friend who knows how territorial I am suggested I get a roll of orange plastic construction fencing and enclose my car and tents, LOL. Actually, I thought it sounded like a good idea :)
I have seen the lightweight dog panels used to enclose a site. As host I allowed it and stayed at the perimeter myself while transacting business with the campers. The orange colored stuff though is just not pretty.
-crofter

Just get a roll of yellow crime scene tape and make a chalk outline of someone inside it and guess will find another way to go.

So, it's okay for you to sneak into their campsite, but not the other way around?

Last night I watched "The ghost and the darkness" true story of lion attacks at a construction site in Africa circa 1896.

Now I have the heebie jeebies about lions even though I live on a completely different continent, and other than the rare lion at the zoo cage malfunction there is like zero chance of seeing their beady eyes and big teeth on the loose anywhere in North America.

So what was the purpose of scary movies again?
-crofter

crofter said:
So what was the purpose of scary movies again?
-crofter
...Scary movies and intruders in the dark AND the woods ... OMG
This movie has it all.

JRRNeiklot said:
So, it's okay for you to sneak into their campsite, but not the other way around?
When someone is using a chainsaw to cut wood to build a fire, yes. That way if they were to cause a forest fire the authorities would know who to charge.
Just drove from Washington to Montana and the skies are filled with smoke. Don't break the rules, regulations or laws then you don't have to worry about getting caught.I pick up garbage that's not mine that I find in other areas than my campsite so since it's not in my site, should I just leave it for others to deal with it.

As a retired solider, I spent many years defending the constitution and belive in the rights of people. When I am traveling, I have an expectation that I may do so without interferance of others. Whether I am staying at a paid camp site, on BLM lands for free, or staying in a WalMart parking lot......any spot I am in is my space at that moment in time. I have the right to be there and anyone entering that space should have proper justification. If I am sitting on a park bench and 3 other people walk up and want to sit down, and there is not enough room....what gives them the right to push me out? Why should I get up and move? Because its a public bench and everyone has the right to us it?? The same applies when I am staying some place. If I am there first and someone tries to push in, there is going to be a problem......and that problem does not end with me leaving.

As far as recording people in public places, I believe that I don't have an expectation of privacy and understand that someone may be recording me. Recording me is not the same as entering my space. If I see someone breaking the rules, I will report them. As a society, we live by the established rules and laws. No one has the right to live outside these rules and we owe it to each member of the society to report them. I often record people speeding and sending it to the local authorites. It will not hold up in court, but the people are on notice they are being watched. When we let illegal things happen, we reinforce the idea that crimals can do what they want.

TravelingZombies said:
Just drove from Washington to Montana and the skies are filled with smoke. Don't break the rules, regulations or laws then you don't have to worry about getting caught.
I'm pretty sure sneaking into someone else's campsite and filming them without their permission is against the rules.

I don't suggest you try that at mine.  If you think they are doing something they shouldn't, alert the authorities, vigilantism is a good way to get killed.

I'm pretty sure my 1st amendment trump's someone else's lawlessness. If you're building fires in the forest during a state wide burn ban and I'm around, say cheese for the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.