Late night intruder

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
We just got back to home base from being in the mountains for vehicle repairs before we leave again on the 13th.
While we were camping we had other people camping in the site down from us and on their last day there they were using a chainsaw to cut some logs to have a fire. We're currently in a statewide burn ban because of wildfires. I went to their site all stealth like and video taped their vehicles and license plates then snuck down and took video of their fire in case things went south.
They then started yelling and screaming and playing electric guitar at around 1130 pm.
Later that night one of them tried sneaking into our campsite and I called out from the tent and said wrong site buddy, nothing here but attack dogs and firearms which escalated his departure back to whence he came and the rest of the night the group was quiet and all left early the next morning.
Have you had a late night intruder and how did you handle it?

Only a skunk....I went in the camper.
That's kind of scary...it's good that you were awake!

I don't camp around other people generally and when I do and they bother me I move beyond walking distance or weapons range. Someone comes into my camp unannounced they generally are encouraged to leave immediately. It doesn't matter what time it is. Never enter a camp unannounced.

Two Weeks ago I had a porcupine chewing on my runningboards where the fiberglass parts are I had to chase him away three times. The porkies will eat just about anything. even your brake lines.

You should show your video to the ranger. Usually illegal to run a chainsaw during a fire ban due to sparks from sawing. Big fines for that.
-crofter

Definitely, I emailed it to them today. I'm sure they'll be contacted by rangers soon. We've had other spots we used to camp at burn down because of careless campers.

If I had emailed something like that to rangers, those perps can find you if you are still there. Time to move on, in my opinion.

The absence of law enforcement does NOT automatically result in the deputization of anybody. Folks need to stop watching reruns of the Lone Ranger and put away the white hat.

Disobeying a rule/law/regulation/code..etc etc does not equate to carelessness. These people weren't felling trees nor did they set the forest on fire.

Anybody skulking about my camp in the middle of the night taking pictures of me and my property is going to be limping away with a couple less teeth.

Curious how you could identify WHO was in your camp considering you were in your tent?

A few months back, 2am, parked on a paved street. About a dozen kids drove up, parked, didn't think anything about my van. They were drinking beers, smashing the bottles in the street, throwing a football around. At some point I'd feel people stepping up on my rear bumper and I think someone smashed what sounded like the top to a porcelain toilet tank. And the football hit the van a few times. I obviously couldn't sleep, so I had it and hopped in the drive seat and just drove off to find somewhere else. Boy, you should have seen their faces when the rig started up. Looking back, I maybe should have confronted them, or definitely called the police. But this wasn't my turf, and I was semi-illegally stealth camping, so that is that. Now I have front and rear dash cams to catch these occurrences on video so I don't have to judge the scenario just by sound.

desert_sailing said:
The absence of law enforcement does NOT automatically result in the deputization of anybody. Folks need to stop watching reruns of the Lone Ranger and put away the white hat.

Disobeying a rule/law/regulation/code..etc etc does not equate to carelessness. These people weren't felling trees nor did they set the forest on fire.

Anybody skulking about my camp in the middle of the night taking pictures of me and my property is going to be limping away with a couple less teeth.

Curious how you could identify WHO was in your camp considering you were in your tent?
I was able to identify them as they passed by through the screen on door and had them on an earlier video of the group around the campfire. Burn bans are in place for a reason and should always be obeyed, no campfire signs were posted everywhere and rangers were patrolling area but not after 5pm.

I have never had a human late night intruder into my campsites...that i know of.

I'm curious as to what LEGAL rights a person has to create a "no trespassing" zone while on public land?

Does simply setting up camp give LEGAL rights to x- amount of sq feet of PUBLIC land?

I'm not disputing that we all have varying levels of what we feel is socially acceptable when it comes to personal space... but what are the LEGAL boundaries?

There is a huge difference between MY campsite and THE campsite particularly in a court of law.

I know at the BLM long term visitor area in Quartzsite it’s 15 feet…. I’m pretty sure you can’t post a no trespassing sign however.

Occupying a campsite is not much different than renting an apartment. Once a campsite is occupied it is the responsibility of the camper to clean and maintain said site and as far as legal regulations in the state of Washington you have a reasonable right to privacy and the right to defend what's yours.

Easiest thing to do is load up and move. Might not be fair but really that’s probably about it.

TravelingZombies said:
Occupying a campsite is not much different than renting an apartment. Once a campsite is occupied it is the responsibility of the camper to clean and maintain said site and as far as legal regulations in the state of Washington you have a reasonable right to privacy and the right to defend what's yours.
There is NO legal right of privacy when in the public.
Do you believe filming people while skulking about was a violation of privacy??!!.. 
I actually just got off the phone with the BLM office with the Tucannon district.. and they laughed when I told them about this situation. (I'm also a Washington resident)

Cammalu is correct that shelters need to be spaced out but there is no requirement that persons are required to stay that distance...ONLY the placement of the shelter.. AND it does not apply to ALL regions.

Indeed every agency has different rules..the Corps of Engineers, the NPS, BLM, the NFS... all are different.

Anybody referring to a section of publicly owned land as THEIRS.. has rude awakening coming.

Regardless of which  side of the coin..the problem with many people using the public's land is that they feel it is THEIRS simply because they "claimed" it.

Somebody lurking in the dark, on the periphery of my camp hiding themselves and filming my wife or children... is going to need an ambulance... just saying.

I used to do first amendment audits and am very up to date on filming in public areas as described by the Department of Homeland Security declassified memo regarding filming rights in public places.
I do get your point however on public lands and trespassing however not an excuse to simply go into another person's campsite without invitation if for nothing else but common courtesy and respect.

TravelingZombies said:
not an excuse to simply go into another person's campsite  without invitation
 I am certain a person, drunk or sober  stumbling about in the middle of the night can easily become disoriented while in a " wilderness" camp area.

I have done it myself and have had it happen to myself. It should be expected when engaging these activities.

I actually think it is one of the fun things about camping. It's not like they were/ are prowlers.  They weren't hiding in the darkness filming anyone.

He was using his phone as a flashlight and he was close enough for me to see his main screen in either picture or video mode. The trail he came down leads to river and access to other sites is blocked. He was also barefoot as to walk quietly. Phone in one hand, shoes in other

TravelingZombies said:
He was using his phone as a flashlight and he was close enough for me to see his main screen in either picture or video mode. The trail he came down leads to river and access to other sites is blocked. He was also barefoot as to walk quietly. Phone in one hand, shoes in other
This is interesting. 

He came down a trail that leads to the river. 
I would definitely suggest NOT putting up a camp along a trail that others will be using to access features such as a river. 

Yikes... I can't imagine walking in a wilderness camp area without shoes..  soo many pokeys... ouch ouch.. not very stealth.

I'd imagine most folks would use their phones as flashlights when coming down a dark trail to the river.

Camp site selection is critical. Chosen incorrectly the remedy is often to either move endure or confront.

Hope you find your perfect spot!

Status
Not open for further replies.