Temperatures and birds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcameraguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in the pre-planning stages of my vandwelling rig and a big potential issue is my three parrots:  How to house them and keep them cool/warm with the ever changing weather in the northeast region of the us.  I did some research and came to an article talking about ideal temperatures for pet birds.  

The issue with birds is not so much temperature extremes but sudden temperature spikes.  So If I were to attempt to live in a van, I'd need to find away to ensure temperatures don't change too quickly.  I believe with insulation and venting I can keep the temp from rising/dropping too fast.  If anyone has had experience with this I'd love to hear ideas.  

Below is the link to the article for anyone with Pet birds:

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-care/ideal-temperatures-for-birds.aspx

I will consult my vet on this and use this information as a guideline when building my rig.

Peace, 

Felix

Cold shouldn't be a problem, just add heat, but heat might be. If you drive with the AC on, then stop, the temps could jump really fast.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Cold shouldn't be a problem, just add heat, but heat might be. If you drive with the AC on, then stop, the temps could jump really fast.
Bob

Bob! first, I have to say a big THANK YOU for your book.  I really dig your perspective on life!  

So I'm fine driving with out ac.  Windows open is my preference.  If I was able to do that in Florida I'm certain I can handle it in the north east.  A great tip.  Peace!

When using our Class C, we take our Senegal Parrot.  She loves the feel of the road while in her travel/sleeping cage; and, once we are camping (usually with hook ups), she especially enjoys her perch with views out the 3 back windows.  In addition to avoiding sudden temperature extremes, we also keep her away from drafts and wind.   On chilly nights it helps that her perch in the cage is up high since warm air rises.  Also, we keep her flight feathers clipped so she can't fly out if she gets spooked while the door is open.  I look forward to hearing how it goes with your fids.

Suanne

20121127_133413_Birdie.jpg

elcameraguy said:
So I'm fine driving with out ac.  Windows open is my preference.  If I was able to do that in Florida I'm certain I can handle it in the north east.  A great tip.  Peace!

I don't think that Bob was referring to your ability to adjust to temp differences, but to your bird's ability to adjust.
I have two personal experiences with traveling with birds to share. Like you I had parakeets. The first time we lived off grid in E. Oregon. Temps to 0 F occurred during the winter. My parakeet could adjust by growing feathers and extra down because we were stationary and she was able to adjust with the seasons. We then left for a three year working tour of the Pacific Northwest and stayed in Western Washington, Oregon and N. CA mainly on the coast. Temps there are much more moderate and Phoebe adjusted just fine. She lived to a ripe old age.

The second time, I lived inland, in N Ca. Had to live in a van for a summer after university to hunt for work. I decided to take her to a family member to babysit for the summer until I got settled. It was a 4-5 hour drive. We left at dawn. By 11:00, she was dead due to unseasonably warm temps. It didn't matter that I had all the windows open or that I spritzed her with water or that I protected her cage with a shade guard or that we parked under trees and rested often. It was just too hot and stressed her through dehydration adn overheating. I have been a wild bird rehabber since 1986. I HIGHLY suggest that you do not try to travel with birds and live in a van. I know some people with class A's are able to provide protection against temperature extremes because they have a large space, with generators, are plugged into the grid and are there ALL the time.

As you have to work and cannot be there to monitor the temp extremes (where will you park while at work?), I highly suggest that you either stay put for now or rehome them.

I have an African Grey now for the past 12 years here in HI. I will be giving her back to the lady that raised her when I sojourn to the mainland. As I will be traveling everywhere and not able to count on weather extremes, I felt it was the kindest thing to do for her.

Thanks for the perspective.  I appreciate your experience.  My pet birds are my heart and re-homing is an option on the table for me.  My aunt in Florida has a grey (plus a bunch of other animals) so I may end up keeping them there if I need to go the van dwelling route.  The north east region can be brutal for pets in general.  Perhaps I'll have to vandwell on my own.

The thought of leaving my flock behind does tug at my heart, but if I end up in a position of needing to reside in a vehicle perhaps I'm not the best qualified parrot parent in the first place.  I think about that often.  I'd feel good re-homing them so long as I could keep them in the same household.  They're really good as flock.  Lots of playing, preening and very few squabbles.  Thank you for advice!

Peace

elcameraguy said:
Thanks for the perspective.  I appreciate your experience.  My pet birds are my heart and re-homing is an option on the table for me.  My aunt in Florida has a grey (plus a bunch of other animals) so I may end up keeping them there if I need to go the van dwelling route.  The north east region can be brutal for pets in general.  Perhaps I'll have to vandwell on my own.

The thought of leaving my flock behind does tug at my heart, but if I end up in a position of needing to reside in a vehicle perhaps I'm not the best qualified parrot parent in the first place.  I think about that often.  I'd feel good re-homing them so long as I could keep them in the same household.  They're really good as flock.  Lots of playing, preening and very few squabbles.  Thank you for advice!

Peace

I'm wondering how everything turned out for you. I have been traveling with my grey parrot. We started out on this journey from Key West over the holidays. We're out west now. The temperature is fairly comfortable but it's dry. I like it more humid but it's certainly beautiful around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeanne said:
I'm wondering how everything turned out for you. I have been traveling with my grey parrot. We started out on this journey from Key West over the holidays. We're out west now. The temperature is fairly comfortable but it's dry. I like it more humid but it's certainly beautiful around here.

Hi Jeanne,

So I'm still renting a place for now.  I'm in a basement apartment.  I've been having a rough time maintaining a full time job so I've opted out of corporate America.  I'm diggin in deep to make my business work.  But money's tough right now.

I still have my parrots.  I've contacted the local animal shelter and an organization to help with re-homing should I decide to leave my apartment and live in my car to save money.  I don't think it's a good idea for me to drag them with me especially since I'm in the NE and the weather gets jacked up.  My car is a compact.

I almost regret getting them because I think they are the only reason I'm still in a brick-and-mortar place.  I think I would have already started the vandwelling life style.  I wonder if that means they're holding me back?  

Thanks for sharing your story.  My aunt has a grey and he's a wonderful animal.

My DW and I travel with a bird too, but wouldn't dream of leaving it in a van, even a well insulated one, unattended, unless it had a source of reliable electricity and a small window air conditioner (that is not blowing on the bird or causing a draft.) I just returned from a trip to Big Bend NP with our little Sun Conure, Skittles. I've only had her 4 years, but had another Sun conure, Sunny, for 28 years before she died of old age, which about broke my heart. We vacationed all over the US, but this is quite different than full-timing, as we were together most of the time. If we did leave her by herself for a few hours, she was in a well shaded campground with AC or electric heat on, as appropriate and roof vents open or windows cracked for fresh air. Our Aliner is extremely well insulated, BTW. This species is used to warm weather as it is a tropical species adapted to an equatorial climate. Some are not used to warm weather. Temp swings and drafts are harder on small birds, like budgies, finches and such, than larger parrots, but they can kill either. Try to keep them to a minimum if possible.

Here's a pic of Skittles in the Smoky Mountains. BTW she is fully fledged and is a very strong flier. The first thing to teach them is to come when called, then give them controlled free flight time if you want to leave them with the ability for flight, which I believe is what having a bird is all about. You wouldn't buy a dog and cut off it's legs so it couldn't run off, would you? But you must be responsible about it or transfer ownership to someone who can devote the time, care and attention they deserve. I don't think the birds are holding you back; you are just being a responsible pet owner, putting their needs first.

149s50y.jpg

BTW, she is cuddling with me as I type this. We are planning on a fulltime mobile lifestyle in 2 years (in a meduim sized Class A or C.) If I were going to choose to live in a van, it would have to be the Class B type with full amenities and adequate temp regulation, so I know my bird will be enjoying the comforts of home when we stop, as it will be her home too. Skittles loves it in our Aliner. I believe she thinks we are all in a big bird house together so feels safe and secure.

Chip

Skittles is adorable. I hope to get to meet her one day.

In December of 2018 we start our full-time mobile retirement, so there's no telling. I'll be attending most if not all of the RTRs. If you will be too then we can meet up and Skittles can over and say hi - if she's in the mood, of course, as she sort of does what she wants - a free bird. And this bird you cannot change, yeah, yeah, yeah! Sorry I digress. ;)

Chip