Technical Q&A For Renogy Solar Products

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is so much small print in your booklets it is like reading a credit card application. I had to bring out a magnifying glass to find how to hook it up.

How about asking the application in the purchase form? Then explain about things like positive ground so people can tell what to order.

This was not small print, you couldn't buy the system without seeing it and knowing it as a positive ground and that there were options. I've circled it with a highlighter.

It does say you can't put any load to the controller that goes to the vehicle negative ground.

Bob

RenogyCapture.jpg

I said booklets.  The print in the booklet is much smaller than that on the handout sheet. 

BUT, here is what I read when I bought the system. 

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Renogy 100W Mono Starter Kit: 100W Solar Panel+20' Solar Cable+30A PWM Charge Controller+Z Bracket Mounts[/font]

• Easy to use, cool to look at, and sophisticated to use with your RVs, boats, and other outdoor equipements.
  • Comes with PWM 30A charge controller and our unique designed Z brackets so you can charge your battery at ease and mount your panel stable.

Here is the booklet over the handout.

For some reason I am unable to post attachments now.  I was able to 15 minutes ago!

Attachments

• s9.jpg
    s9.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 9
GotSmart said:
There is so much small print in your booklets it is like reading a credit card application.  I had to bring out a magnifying glass to find how to hook it up.  

How about asking the application in the purchase form?  Then explain about things like positive ground so people can tell what to order.

Hey John,

Thanks for letting us know about readability issues. We've recently rebranded and have made a new format for our manuals, the type for our newer booklets shouldn't as difficult to read. Also, another option that might help in regards to readability is looking at the product listing on our site as most of our manuals can be found online at our store in the download section as a pdf, and you can change the size of it to better fit your reading preferences.

Thank you for your suggestion as well! We'll definitely keep in mind and see if it's feasible, at the moment as a temporary measure, we're planning on uploading a chart soon that displays the differences between all of our charge controllers.

All the best,
The Renogy Team

I recently contacted Renogy because of a readability problem with my controler.  

Yesterday I got a call from Charley, the head of sales.  He sent me a shipping label immediately (email) so today the old unit goes back and a different unit will replace it.  

We had a long talk and shared ideas and what is in the works for the future.  

Start getting excited folks, your suggestions are in the hands of the engineering team.  

Be ready for some extremely user friendly improvements.   :D

I will let them make the announcements as they are ready.

I purchased this system end of the year 2013, I don't remember seeing that particular statement, but that's fine, as long as I know it will work, now that I have a better understanding although still novice at best. And as I stated, I plan to upgrade controller at some point.  Next purchase of equipment will be in person so maybe I will know what I don't know,LOL

I  planned to be on road way before this thats why I purchased so long ago.

GotSmart said:
I recently contacted Renogy because of a readability problem with my controler.  

Hey John,

Glad to hear that you and Charlie had a good talk. We definitely have a lot in store for the future, please continue to look forward to it!

All the best,
The Renogy Team

oldogre said:
I purchased this system end of the year 2013, I don't remember seeing that particular statement, but that's fine, as long as I know it will work, now that I have a better understanding although still novice at best. And as I stated, I plan to upgrade controller at some point.  Next purchase of equipment will be in person so maybe I will know what I don't know,LOL

Hey Dan,
If you still have any questions regarding your system, or later on when you upgrade your controller, feel free to contact us and we'll do our best to help you out.

All the best,
The Renogy Team

Renogy said:
Hey Dan,
If you still have any questions regarding your system, or later on when you upgrade your controller, feel free to contact us and we'll do our best to help you out.

All the best,
The Renogy Team

Ok that is great, and you already know how technically challenged I am, LOL

I bought mine in 2013, didn't see that the controller was positive ground in the advertisement, but soon realized after talking with Renogy that it didn't really matter, at least not to me.

Glad Renogy is working to educate and make it easier for us to begin using solar.
I have bought and installed a couple different brands for customers, but I will be recommending Renogy after reading this thread.
Customer service is valuable to me.

Dear Renogy,

I am considering getting one of your 100w flexible panels. However, if I may ask one question...

Is there a difference in current output produced in regards to a flexible panel vs a standard 'glass' panel?

karl said:
Glad Renogy is working to educate and make it easier for us to begin using solar.
I have bought and installed a couple different brands for customers, but I will be recommending Renogy after reading this thread.
Customer service is valuable to me.

Hey Karl,

Thank you so much. If you have any questions or suggestions for us, please feel free to let us know.

All the best,
The Renogy Team

One Awesome Inch said:
Is there a difference in current output produced in regards to a flexible panel vs a standard 'glass' panel?

Hi One Awesome Inch,
Yes, there is a slight difference. The optimum operating current (Imp) for the RNG-100D is 5.29A and the and the Imp for the flexible panel is 5.70A.

All the best,
The Renogy Team

I have a few questions about your panels. I'd call, but I'm still waiting to find out the exact #'s (Amp draw) my CPAP machine requires so I know how little solar I can get away with.

I found a Grape Solar GS-S-160-Fab8 Monocrystalline PV Panel on Amazon, but it's been out of stock for some time.

Q-I: Do you guys make a comparable unit? At 58 x 26 x 1.6 inches, it just fits my required space limitations. I have a tiny little van with other things on the roof, so I'm trying to get as many Watts in as small a space as possible. My hope is to run a 160W panel to a single 12V 80Ah AGM battery.
That way I'd get a 2:1 Watt:Ah ratio for charging.

Q-II: Can I safely drill holes in the frame of the panel without hitting something important? If possible, I'd like to avoid mounting it to a piece of plywood via the z-brackets in favor of something a little more stout. U-bolts straight through the frame (or a bracket on the frame) and around my crossbars, maybe.

Q-III: I've been reading on this site that some of the cheaper charge controllers, like the ones that come in the starter-kits, might not allow the recommended initial higher charge-rates an AGM needs, to reach the battery. If this is true, do you offer an a affordable CC upgrade that would work around this issue?

I'm sure I have other questions, but I stick with these for now.

Thanks!

BigT said:
I have a few questions about your panels.  I'd call, but I'm still waiting to find out the exact #'s (Amp draw) my CPAP machine requires so I know how little solar I can get away with.  

I found a Grape Solar GS-S-160-Fab8 Monocrystalline PV Panel on Amazon, but it's been out of stock for some time.  

Q-I: Do you guys make a comparable unit?  At 58 x 26 x 1.6 inches, it just fits my required space limitations.   I have a tiny little van with other things on the roof, so I'm trying to get as many Watts in as small a space as possible.  My hope is to run a 160W panel to a single 12V 80Ah AGM battery.  
That way I'd get a 2:1 Watt:Ah ratio for charging.  

Q-II: Can I safely drill holes in the frame of the panel without hitting something important?  If possible, I'd like to avoid mounting it to a piece of plywood via the z-brackets in favor of something a little more stout.  U-bolts straight through the frame (or a bracket on the frame) and around my crossbars, maybe.  

Q-III: I've been reading on this site that some of the cheaper charge controllers, like the ones that come in the starter-kits, might not allow the recommended initial higher charge-rates an AGM needs, to reach the battery.  If this is true, do you offer an a affordable CC upgrade that would work around this issue?  

I'm sure I have other questions, but I stick with these for now.  

Thanks!

Hi BigT,

A-I: Currently, we do not have a solar panel that meets those requirements. The dimensions for our 150W solar panels are 39.5 X 39 X 1.4 In and the dimensions for our 100W panels are 47 X 21.3 X 1.4 In.

A-II: Drilling holes in the frame of the panels is perfectly fine, however any modifications to the frame will void the warranty.

A-III: If you wish to purchase a charge controller that has customizable voltage ranges, we would recommend our ViewStar charge controllers.

We hope that helped! Thank you for your questions.

All the best,
The Renogy Team

Renogy said:
A-II: Drilling holes in the frame of the panels is perfectly fine, however any modifications to the frame will void the warranty.

If I can't drill holes in the frame, how do I mount them to anything?   :huh:
What do the z-brackets attach to?  

The Z brackets attach to holes pre-drilled by Renogy for mounting purposes.

I have a 100 watt Renogy panel. I am not mounting it permanently. What type of portable stand do you recommend? I would need something very simple and easy to set up and take down, because I am using the panel when I travel to use when I stop for a day or so to charge my 100 watt deep cycle battery that strictly runs my 12 volt compressor fridge. I don't want to mount the panel to my vehicle or trailer because I want to stay out of the sun with my vehicles. So I need to be able to move the panel around to catch the sun.
I was thinking maybe just a couple aluminum 90 degree angle pieces about the same length or width as the panel attached to the sides with wing nuts to be able to adjust the angle of the panel on the ground.