Gig Job - Storm relief work yard crew

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safitea

Reaction score
Seasonal gig work as hurricane relief yard/kitchen/housekeeping crew :) 

I work in hurricane/storm recovery and we are currently recruiting for this coming hurricane season. Our job entails going to locations, in the Southeastern US, and setting up yards which support the first responders and/or linemen. We need people to work in the yard, helping to set up tents and bunk houses and facilities, people who can drive forklifts and other machinery, people with 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck who can haul large trailers. We need people to work in laundry as well as in the kitchen. There are a variety of jobs available on these yards. Something for everyone! 

We are deployed from anywhere between a few days to a couple months, depending on how bad the storm is and how long we are needed. The conditions are rugged, sometimes we sleep in bunkhouse tents, sometimes we sleep in our vehicles, and sometimes we get hotel rooms. Just depends on the situation at the time. The days are long, but the pay is great! Also, the satisfaction of being part of one of these teams is wonderful, as is the camaraderie. I really enjoy this work and look forward to it every year! Its also nice to get that big paycheck!

If you are interested please private message me through Facebook and I will add you to my chat list for further information and to get you signed up. YOU MUST SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO SIGN UP. I have this posted on several boards and I can not possibly stay organized unless those interested contact me through my private message inbox on Facebook. My name there is Marie McGinnis. 

Here is a link - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010326450781[/SIZE]

Just message me and I will add you to the discussion group. There you will find all sorts of info as well as how to sign up. Once signed up I will get you your badge number and make sure you are on the roster for the upcoming storms. 

Keep in mind that we cover the areas from Florida to N. Carolina to Louisiana, and all in between. Once deployed to a yard you can get up to 14 hrs travel pay so please try to be kind of near these areas.

I look forward to hearing from you. Happy Adventures!!!!

It starts at $17 per hr and we clock 16 hr days on average. Raises are given regularly to those with greater skill sets and those who show that they are dependable and hard workers. You can also make more money if you have a 1/2 or 3/4 ton vehicle and can tow a trailer off the yard after we close it down.

I'd love to sign up for this but, I don't do the whole Facebook thing. I gave it a try when it first came out and next thing I know, I was getting ads about things I mentioned in my Facebook posts. They mine your data and sell it to companies on the internet that will bombard your inbox with Spam ads.

One question, did you respond to the tornados that with through Kentucky and states on both ends of Kentucky last month?

I've got a Ford F150 with a Gemtop steel topper on it and the inside of it has a bed on each side. I've got 12v coolers, even a porta potty if I need it. I carry any equipment and tools under the bunks. I do chainsaw and small engine repair as a hobby.

I'd probably put a deep cycle battery under one of the bunks so I could run a fan or something to keep things cool, led lights, that kind of thing. I've thought about taking one of my bunks out as I'm probably the only one that'll be in there.

I've got rough-in Carpenter skills, AutoCad software and many years of experience drawing floorplans and just about anything else that needs to be drawn.

I'm a Ham radio operator and have an HF radio, 2 meter radio, CB, etc in the cab of my truck with antennas all over the outside for long distance communications.

I've though about putting a couple of solar panels on the top of my topper just for more electric use. Maybe get a decent wi-fi setup antenna that a lot of RV'ers use.

I live in Washington State (Why I still have no idea..) but, if the need is there, I'd love to throw my hat in the ring and help out.

What is the name of the company?

@grumpygrizzly Agreed on fb. To youth fb is a mark of stupidity, which i think is facebook's hilarious karma. Boomer thinks if i'm on facebook, woo I be cool digital person for sure now and kids/grandkids will no longer think i'm a clueless moron. Wrong.

I dislike Facebook too but I'm not afraid of using it to apply for a job. That said, what happened to the group? The link doesn't work anymore.

Although I'm trying to get out of the Southeast, I'm interested none-the-less.