Technical Q&A For Renogy Solar Products

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B&C, some amazon sellers are still selling the ' bendable' renogy 100 watters:
http://www.amazon.com/RENOGY®-Monoc...377184&sr=8-2&keywords=renogy+flexible+panels
But notice they say "Please do not bend these panels!"
I have to wonder if part of the reason these are failing is from them flapping around in the Slipstream at highway speeds.  no matter how tightly they are pulled from the grommets at the 4 corners, it would still have to flex.  Combine that with the lack of air circulation and then there is a  high failure rate.
I have room for 50 more watts.  I really want 50(000) more watts, but I do not want 50 more watts of framed panel.  I am considering this Thin un'bendable' panel and making my own very low profile aluminum frame for it, perhaps with some support underneath and it can fit in front of my Kyocera framed panel.  I know they sell a framed version of the 50 watter, but this would be the unsightly if mounted in the location I have in mind, the only place I could put it.  The OCV specs and VMP specs line up perfectly with my kyocera though, as if it were meant to be.
Mainesail recommends testing these panels immediately on receipt  from Amazon for output as many do not achieve their output claims.
Here's a few threads of interest from the Cruisers forum:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/renogy-flexible-solar-panels-fire-hazard-154144.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ible-solar-panel-possibly-damaged-153556.html

I am wondering if these are truly Renogy panels.  The seller is based in Hong Kong.  I was under the impression they were made here. :huh:

When I checked Amazon yesterday, there was only one set of two used panels that were available and they were from Hong Kong too.  I don't know if I really want the Hong Kong panels.  

I do want the Renogy ones though.  Seems like some people treat them pretty rough and then blame the panel.

I can't say where they are fabricated, but if Renogy says they are having high failure rates with them, then there is a problem. Either it is the users implementation, or quality control or some combination of both.

I don't think one can blame only the end user. 'Bendable' in the product title and "please do not bend" in the description says a Lot.

I'm gonna wait for any extra wattage I might choose to implement.

Mainesail's vast experience and knowledge cannot be discounted as an old grump having a bad day.

SternWake said:
I can't say where they are fabricated, but if Renogy says they are having high failure rates with them, then there is a problem. Either it is the users implementation, or quality control or some combination of both.

Mainesail's vast experience and knowledge  cannot be discounted as an old grump having a bad day.

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]On the two posts you included.  Here is the rough treatment one.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"I have 3 of the 100w semi flexible Renogy [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]solar panels[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif], and while I was hooking them up to test them out, a gust of [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]wind[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif] came and knocked them off the [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]bimini[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif] onto the[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]cockpit[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif] seat before I could get them secured. It wasn't a big drop and the wire caught on the [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]bimini[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif] and lessened the blow a bit, but upon testing the output, two of the [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]panels[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]are putting out about 5A and one is putting out 2.5A."[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The other poster did not have a problem but:  [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"[size=small][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]We just started cruising, left the [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]dock[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 10/1. On 9/30 we had to rent a car and replace half of our [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]solar[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif] array (4 x 100 renogy flexible [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]solar panels[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif] on white plastic). My wife found a thread on Facebook about them catching fire, so we contacted Renogy and they said they would replace them."[/font][/font][/size]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I don't see how either of these affects me.  A dropped panel is probably going to flex more than the 30 degree maximum causing a cracked cell.  And a Facebook thread about them catching fire???  Maybe true, but no circumstances were given and Renogy putting tin foil on the back would concentrate the heat back into the panel leads me to believe the panel itself did not catch on fire.  Doing a Google search on "Renogy panel fire" seems to all point to the same incident.  The panels were mounted over a bimini support that bent them more the the 30 degrees.  My guess from reading is the panel got hot and it was laying on some material (bimini) that caught fire.    [/font][/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=small][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]These things are thin and CAN bend UP TO 30 degrees without damage.  I still think it is people doing stupid things to them and blaming the panels much like people saying their batteries didn't last and are cheap.  [/font][/font][/size]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=small][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]My $0.02 worth[/font][/font][/size]

if the company that sells them and no longer does because of ISSUES, I would wait or go with another option. Renogy has just stated there is a problem so why would you still want one. highdesertranger

I still want one because that is what fits my storage area and use.  There are still a lot of them out there without issues.  I bet they have not all been returned as defective.  I still stand by my battery-cide analogy.  I would think most people would want a free replacement even if they themselves were the cause of the failure.  No one seems to take responsibility for their own actions anymore.  It is always "someone else's fault" is what I see mostly these days (sadly).

that's like going to the store and asking for "that hamburger meat that's been recalled'. highdesertranger

Not quite the same.  One will give you an upset stomach, the other not so much. :p

Why are batteries only warrantied for a few years when they will last many?  They are destroyed by their owners if not properly taken care of and this is how long the battery manufacturers think they can last when abused.  Batteries have also been around a long time so the bean counters know where the sweet spot between replacing a battery under warranty or not is.  Solar is still an infant.

Solar crystals are fragile and if mistreated will crack or break.  Drop a piece of cardboard on edge on the ground and you get bent cardboard.  Lay it down and it does not bend.  Drop a battery and it will crack or break.  Set it down and it does not crack or break.  I think Renogy by trying to take care of their customers by not denying coverage to help build market share has hurt themselves. 

The panels are thin so they can conform to a large radius, not a small one.  Putting them over a bimini support probable bends them more that the 30 degree maximum.  They are not having a problem with the rigid panels because they can't be bent at all. If you bend one of those, they will break too.  All thing have a breaking point.  

I guess is what I am trying to say is, if you take care to treat it like the fragile solar panel it is, there should not be a problem.  Drop a glass on the ground and it will probably break.

SternWake said:
B&C, some amazon sellers are still selling the ' bendable' renogy 100 watters:
http://www.amazon.com/RENOGY®-Monoc...377184&sr=8-2&keywords=renogy+flexible+panels
But notice they say "Please do not bend these panels!"

The link for the Amazon listing does not belong to us, and unfortunately, we are unable to ask Amazon to take it down. Amazon has a feature that allows sellers to sell "similar" products with the same listing content, but again, that listing doesn't belong to us and we'd recommend not buying from it as we can't vouch for authenticity. The best way to ensure you're buying a product from Renogy is by purchasing products that are sold and shipped by us, or fulfilled by Amazon.

In regards to comments about the seemingly hypocritical "bendable" name and the "please don't bend" in the description, for whatever reason, that particular listing is titled wrong. When we first started investigating the issue with the panels, as a precaution, we changed the name to "lightweight" panels and added that note about not bending the panels because we didn't know what was causing the failure.

B and C said:
If Renogy responds and tells me they are leftover old stock...

Brian,

As much as we appreciate your interest in our lightweight panels and while it's true that there are panels not experiencing any failure, until we come out with a new unit that we can guarantee isn't having issues, we don't recommend it. Again, I'm very sorry as I know you were just waiting on the panels to finish up your system.

All the best,
The Renogy Team

If I had room for panels with frames, I would not be trying to get these lightweight panels :dodgy:  I don't want to have to move panels around the inside everytime I move around and there is no room on roof for permanent mount.

Any "best guess" when the new 100w lightweight panels might be available?  I need these (4) before the end of December as I need a few days to get everything connected before heading out.

B and C said:
Any "best guess" when the new 100w lightweight panels might be available? I need these (4) before the end of December as I need a few days to get everything connected before heading out.

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry, but unfortunately, I don't think the lightweight panels will be available by then. We're still testing different designs, not only to remedy this issue with the failure rate but also to improve the panel itself. The new lightweight panels most likely won't be available until next year.

All the best,
The Renogy Team

Hmmm...old Renogy tech thread...gonna try for an answer here anway since it's specifically RENOGY....

I'm am getting ready to put up 2 to 4 100w 12v panels and have narrowed my controller choice down to Renogy Adventurer or Blue Sky Sun Charger for a single pair of GC batts - 220AH.

Please explain why I should buy the renogy product over the competition. Blue Sky has an excellent reputation - no complaints out there about their products.

Also, eco-worthy has what appears to be the same 100W mono or poly panels for $45 less. Please tell me why I should pay more for Renogy panels.
I need the 21x46 size to best use my space.

Thanks!!

How much weight can a 100 watt Renogy panel hold on top of it?
I have an extra panel that I will use when I am parked in the shade. The only place I have to store it when not in use is the upper level of my Class B.  I need more room for storage of my clothing. Can I put soft bags of clothing on top of this panel and if so, how much?    Thank you.

pamerica said:
How much weight can a 100 watt Renogy panel hold on top of it?
I have an extra panel that I will use when I am parked in the shade. The only place I have to store it when not in use is the upper level of my Class B.  I need more room for storage of my clothing. Can I put soft bags of clothing on top of this panel and if so, how much?    Thank you.

I just called Renogy, even on Saturday, and my call was answered.   He said if I place the panel facedown, on foam, for example, no problem with putting maybe 30 pounds of clothing on top of it.  He explained how they come in and get stacked, etc.  Of course you have to be reasonable and careful when you're doing this.  I will be placing my panel on foam, on top of carpeting that is on top of solid flat wood.  It is a secure surface for the panel to be placed facedown.
He was very pleasant and helpful and said if I have anymore questions that they are there. Good experience.