talk me down from this ledge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putts said:
The high-top?
Rawr!
Lovely.

LOL, yes, the long wheelbase high top. It is cavernous inside...

Signed the papers on it this afternoon. Left it there for them to replace the front tires. I'll pick it up tomorrow by riding the motorcycle in and loading it into the back of the van.

My browser is freaking out so I can't post pics normally. Here's a view from inside the mechanic's shop (with window reflections) after I backed it into a spot the first time. I got it lined up neatly and it fits in a normal spot if you back up to near the curb. Independent mechanic gave it a solid "no issues, no red flags" rating.

https://goo.gl/photos/aQr9WYbW2JbtJSmm6

You did your due diligence, that's what matters.  :)

I tried clicking on your photo link and my IPad went crazy with "Google photo get started" so I just shut it off. :(

I've seen a few high top Promaster and also Transits. Carry a window washer's pole, you're gonna need one to clean it (but the standing room is fabulous)...  :D

Just a quick comment regarding financing your vehicle...I just purchased a 2015 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo last month. I have an insanely high FICO score, so obtaining credit is not a problem. Or...so I thought. After my bank PRE APPROVED my loan and gave me a blank check to purchase a vehicle, I found out the day of my shopping that they would NOT finance a commercial vehicle, which is a PANEL VAN. I had asked the banker at the time if purchasing a cargo van would be a problem, and she said it wouldn't. After speaking with the bank manager, I found out it was a problem and had to find financing elsewhere. The dealer I purchased the van from tried Ally and GM Finance and both would not write a loan for a commercial vehicle. All worked out great in the end, I applied online through LIGHTSPEED, A division of SunTrust Bank out of Atlanta. Was approved for a loan in less than 10 minutes, the LOAN is unsecured ( I hold title) and at the lowest rate anyone gave me at 2.9%.

I'm telling you this just so you are aware and check your paperwork before going shopping. As always, Your Mileage may vary....

Ooops...I re-read your post, and you are already aware of restrictions on commercial vehicle loans for personal use. Sorry, didn't mean to beat a dead horse. I didn't edit my comment because I think it would be helpful for others to be aware. Happy motoring!

That's excellent feedback, artsyguy.

I was aware of Suntrust and I assumed they were out of my league. My credit is good but not insanely high (in low-mid 800s); too few credit accounts according to credit karma.

More importantly I lack the liquid assets Suntrust [is reported] to require. I've been dumping my disposable cash into 401k since I paid off my CC debt. If I'd done 50/50 401k and savings or something I might have enough assets to use Suntrust. But the 401k match is "free money" so maybe it's a wash.

This world isn said:
You did your due diligence, that's what matters.  :)

I did as much as I could, I think. There are surely others with better research and negotiating skills but that was the limits of my ability...

This world isn said:
I tried clicking on your photo link and my IPad went crazy with "Google photo get started" so I just shut it off. :(

Mea culpa. Having problems here. Just upload some to Picasa and will post them soon.

This world isn said:
I've seen a few high top Promaster and also Transits. Carry a window washer's pole, you're gonna need one to clean it (but the standing room is fabulous)...  :D

Yeah, I'm 6' and can't reach the roofline from outside the van. I think it's 8'3" or something like that.

The 6'4" interior space should be right for me after I insulate and finish the celing.

Just got it home.  Rode the bike to work today so I could load it into the van and get everything home.  I remembered to carry the tiedown straps.  :)
Raining when I loaded the bike off a dock (rode it into the van).  While I was using the oh-so-plentiful d-rings to secure the bike I slipped on the wet deck and partially dropped the bike.  The right handlebar end punched a hole in a plastic door panel.  I'm not planning on replacing it.  :)
Here are some pics of the PM in my driveway with the bike still loaded.  It is not a small bike but it looks like it;  this thing is a farking barn.

Artsyguy said:
 All worked out great in the end, I applied online through LIGHTSPEED, A division of SunTrust Bank out of Atlanta.  Was approved for a loan in less than 10 minutes, the LOAN is unsecured ( I hold title) and at the lowest rate anyone gave me at 2.9%.  

I'm telling you this just so you are aware and check your paperwork before going shopping.  As always, Your Mileage may vary....

Actually I mispoke, the rate I received for 60 mos, was 2.47%

Congratulations!!!!!   I am sure you will love it. I got a 2014 Ram Promaster (high roof, but the shorter body) just two weeks ago.  Took it camping immediately for 4 days and am totally thrilled with it.   I had been searching for 1 1/2 years for a van or rv.  Now I am slowly adding things like a window in the slider door, and a second key.  I am still figuring out what exactly to add to it.  Mine has cruise so suspect yours does too.   Can't wait to see how you decide to build it out. Please share pictures whenever you can.  
Now start enjoying it.  By the way mine handles beautifully on the road. And definitely get a backup camera, mine has one and it's a wonderful help.

Thanks, ColdBrook!

Mine really doesn't have cruise. :-( Folks on the PM forums have installed aftermarket ones and it's not supposed to be too hard.

GotSmart said:
Here in MO, I am seeing a couple Promasters with huge cancer holes.   :dodgy: 

Are you seeing any other vehicles in MO with huge cancer holes, or only PMs?  PMs are not known for issues with rust.

MO is salt belt.  I would encourage folks who like their vehicles not live in the salt belt.

Those stood out in the crowd.  I have been looking at the promaster for  while now.

Rust is a primary color of Missouri cars.  Atleast once a month, I blast the underside of my van to keep down the rust monsters. 

Rust ~ Duct Tape, and CHROME!

Attachments

• rusty.jpg
    rusty.jpg
    75.8 KB
frater secessus said:
I did as much as I could, I think.  There are surely others with better research and negotiating skills but that was the limits of my ability...

FS, please note that I fully support your choice of a new Promaster. I did say on a previous reply in this thread: "[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]It and the Transit are great as far as a vehcle type..."[/font]

I've looked for any recent threads where I "disparaged" the platform, and written a correction/apology.

If you read my signature, you'll note that I have changed it to remind myself to watch what I write about platforms...

TWIH

Latest posts