Well the time to buy is coming soon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deryk_the_gypsy

Reaction score
Hello folks!

I have been looking at a few of the smaller cargo vans.  My favorite of them is 2013 Ford Transit Connect xlt wagon premium.  Found 2 with 40k miles good carfax's  Both around 12k.

I have checked out and going to look at a 2015 nissan nv200 tomorrow and might go look at the rebranded for chevy version monday (was a mobile office for someone with 50k miles for 12k

Seen but didn't test drive 2 promaster city's.  I do like their look but have read the ram promaster post.  Both are under 50k miles 13k or less good carfax's reports 1 had every maint and mileage showing up.

I am not planning on living in it, but who knows, I filed for disability last week.  Will be for regular driving use (I really could do with a comfortable bed when my back starts spasming) and some travel.  Gas mileage is real important when no money will be coming in for a time. 

12k is the limit.  I did look at astro's online but not wanting something so old.  "Family" would give me grief "Oh see you bought an old car and..." I know the tune, so I try to avoid it.  And I did dream oneday about a shortbus conversion (I am pretty handy, built 2 teardrop trailer sized gypsy caravans...and always like messing with something...maybe converting small vans with the light weight components might be a new career lol)

Any thoughts or suggestions?
thanks
deryk

just want to let you know Car-Fax is not the final word. what I am trying to say is that the vehicle could have been in an accident so bad it should have been totaled and it might not show up on Car-Fax. don't get me wrong Car-Fax is good but their word is not final. car dealers especially used car dealers do not report to Car-Fax for obvious reasons. highdesertranger

Good point, but I like when it does show oil changes and mileage. They don't all show them...and if your a backyard mechanic none of that gets listed on carfax... but anything to give some idea of how the vehicle was used to help make a better decision.

Watched the vid before.
Some great things in there...but the wooden rack is not one of them.
(There are better, lighter ways to do the same thing that will not need constant fiddling over the years.)
How a rack looks up there means little. Pretty or not, that finish will be peeling after a year in the Southwest sun.
Metal with epoxy paint will last 15+ at least.

JD, which of the smaller van's do you recomend? The NV200 (either nissan or chevrolet clone) is tempting, narrower and an inch shorter but a few inches longer. Hopefully low mileage and never filling it to max load capacity will keep it running for years to come.

Those are smaller than I deal with for the most part.

The full sized V8/V6 models do very well in the Nissans.

I have no big numbers to prove anything...but as far as the smaller units go, the word "Renault" causes parts of my anatomy to pucker and leaves me in a cold sweat. Research how much of that small van is actually Renault for yourself.
The more of it designed by them/provided by them, the less I would recommend it.

If I had to drive it myself...I would go another direction totally.
A Voyager with the fold down seats and a clever window wrap. (They end up looking like a cargo model.)
(Seen it done. $500 retail for the decals that largely matched color/style perfectly. Looked great.)

Similar sized vehicle, but it has BALLS, gets similar MPG and is nicely outfitted for luxury touring.

V-gers do not struggle with hills and have a very solid lifespan expectancy.
You can buy one for pretty cheap money.
For example, I would have bid on this one or one similar to it.

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=41QSCI19083012

Pardon the broken record...but EVERY vehicle you look at has either an owner, or worse yet, a DEALER trying to push the sale.
People lie. Constantly. Salesmen even lie with a clear conscience...and the used "guarantees" a dealer gives you are usually not worth the paper they are printed on.
GSA vehicles get sold off because it is their time. The fleets are managed. WYSIWYG.
Almost no other scenario in existence sells as well a maintained unit without any BS or manipulations involved.

Some here argue low mile cars ten years old are problematic...but experience doing this over and over and OVER again tells me this is untrue. Also, the feds will not avoid repairs and maintenance the year before selling. The schedule is the schedule and they have records on all of them from birth.

So there you go.

Yeah, Eric, the producer of that video has 2 other's out, and he is working on a video of the bed design he uses.  When I first saw it, I thought about the old VW buses with the rock and roll couch.  Less floor space, most minivans (not the mazda) can hold a sheet of plywood.  (I am not 100% sure but I read on the internet ;)   Those boxxy Nissan Quest's have the most cubed space...I think it would be a prime candidate for a pop top!)  I like the idea of a project, keeps my hands and mind busy.

Yeah the stow and go seating, with the seats removed does open up some space.  Now, I haven't crawled under and verified for myself, but I heard that those well's are plastic, so standing in it wouldn't be recommended (yeah I briefly thought great spot for a porta potty till you fall through LOL)  I am sure if someone had the skill set "reinforcement's" could be added.

Nice Woodwork Minivan sized

JD, out of curiosity I am guessing that of the "normal sized" cargo vans, Low roof would get better gas mileage and performance then the High roof style?  Is there a big difference?  As much as the appeal of the tall van has, I kinda like the camper pop top roofs I am seeing, and in one video I watched, the youtuber said it as a side comment, but that his normal 5' tall roof or so gained a few inches with the pop top when it was closed(it wasn't set up for someone to sleep up there, just storage at the ends, and headroom)  Even though my dream is of snow birding in a few years when mom passes and my disability goes through, the van would be a daily driver vehicle, and some camping with friends.  I understand it won't be as sealed up tight like a full sized van, but there are always trade offs in life, and fuel economy for me is worth it.

thanks

Hightops use more fuel, but depending on which van and which top, not crazy amounts.

Pop up roofs, in my experience, leak like mad, break often and don't hold heat or cool for beans.
The moment you pop the top, it is like cop radar in any parking lot.
Never saw any of them that will stay dry in a torrential downpour...at least not after they hit ten years old.

Now that I see more of your story, I gotta ask...why not a pickup and TT?
You could buy a super clean pickup and a budget TT for the same money you are going to spend.

Sometimes I miss having my truck, but it drank gas...and having someplace to stretch out on when the muscle spasms start is pretty important now...makes a van/mini a plus. For long term travel and being able to drop homebase trailer in a spot and be able to head out with the vehicle would have it's perks. I had a fiberglass Parkliner trailer was pretty sweet. 15' long came with a porta potty and a shower. I sold it when I was trying to buy my cabin.

I lived on a sailboat for almost 10 years, till Hurricane Sandy totalled it and I figured time to do something different so diesel does not scare me. I thought about diesel because could run a heater off the fuel tank, and have seen diesel cook stoves. 7 or 8 years ago I had a coworker who him and his dad were doing biodiesel, and me and him were always talking about the diesel short school bus mod. Now a lot of those mini cargo vans in europe are diesel engines...would be nice to see some here.

I bought a 2016 NV200 yesterday FOR 6k, most logical choice for me out of everything available within 100 or so miles, looked for weeks, heck of a deal, I start the conversion next week

congrats Gutz. we love build theads, pics are a double plus. also go to the "Newcomers corner" and give us an intro, we will give you an official welcome. highdesertranger

I wonder about diesel. Germany is banning it, and that's spreading across Europe now. I wonder diesel's number is up on consumer vehicles. Maybe not now, but who know ... higher vehicle registration costs? Etc.

Well, they are looking to get rid of all combustion engines by 2040. America has talk of doing the same...For most people who travel shorter distances to work/shop it's less of a big deal but if your traveling a lot hope the battery technology keeps improving.