Well the time to buy is coming soon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2040 might as well be 3040 ... but Europe is banning diesel now and has already banned it in some places.

I have thought of a diesel in my future but it seems like financial suicide now. I watched a video the other day that showed an ordinary suburban driver saying he bought diesel because he thought it would be lower maintenance and cheaper in the long run. He saw his vehicle lose a third of its value as soon as laws passed against diesel in his area. more than that, the documentary showed huge lots of abandoned diesel vehicles that were perfectly usable because of diesel restrictions. Of course, the environmental cost or replacing those diesels might well be quite significant compared to simply letting those diesels run out their natural tenures, but ...

It's just a mess in Europe re diesel but the logic doesn't seem peculiar to it. Is it really safe or wise to buy diesel in America given both the scandals and the perhaps consequent punitive laws against diesel in Europe today?

that is really strange seeing a how a diesel is twice as efficient as a gas engine. highdesertranger

How does one post on subjects (like this one morphed into) while avoiding religion or politics? The past 10+ years speaks volumes regarding what US citizens think of the govt telling them what to drive. Should be completely safe for at least 10 more years (my half joking guess for the current admin's run), but as others have tip toed around in other threads, changing the way things work at the state and federal levels is unlikely to happen until or unless forced to do so. O'Jays said it well back in the 70's. 

Anyway, before I get chastised or banned on my first post, the point is that jd gumbee's idea of a Cummins repower is really interesting. I didn't know they started marketing a crate engine. Problem appears to be that there's been slow uptake, except maybe in off roading? A quick search on here, reddit and joogle gave no hits on anyone in this world doing it.

Yeah it is. I saw a documentary on it on youtube recently bringing up that same subject. Regardless of efficiency, people are abandoning their cars en masse in Germany and, increasingly, elsewhere in Europe. DK Documentaries, I think? There are car graveyards full of completely good cars because of this now.

Regardless of your stance on diesel, if you're even likely to have one, I am not yet convinced that abandoning a new(or new-ish) car to buy another new one is planet-friendly.

It certainly sounds crippling for the middle-class driving the diesels.