Well I did it...Introducing "Dobby" my 2010 Ford Transit Connect XLT

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deryk_the_gypsy

Reaction score
Well I have been looking for the last few months, I like the nv200, but I would be leery of the older models because of the transmissions.  Would I consider a 2020 model...possibly.  A 2013/14  nah.  I like the look of the promaster city but they were out of my budget.  Looked at a few minivans but I wanted more headroom for an eventual build.  I kind of like the look of the Transit Connects and after seeing "Josh Oakes" video's on youtube I started looking.  Prices at dealers were 10k+ for under 60k miles.  I missed out on an orange 2013 xlt wagon with 43k miles for 8300 dollars that was a private seller.  I saw a few 2010-2013's under 30k miles around 14k.  

I kept looking, really for a 2013 xlt wagon premium but when I found Dobby, the seller didn't use good pictures, and I think it went overlooked.  I was on facebook marketplace daily checking when it finally popped up on one of my searchesand I saw it was listed for over a week at that point.  Messaged the guy wanted to go see it the next day it was an hour and a half away and he didn't get back to me with an address and by the time he did I was already heading to my cabin and he was heading to the shore for the weekend.  Finally got a chance to drive out wednesday.

Dobby is a 2010 FTC XLT model with (now) 43,030 miles.  The van was pretty clean, no accidents.  It did some deliveries for an optical manufacturer upstate NY, The guy I bought it from is a mechanic, who owns a shop that did some oil changes on the van and when the company went under he bought the van to tune it up, new tires/brakes and sell it.  Got it for 8k.  Drives pretty well, test drove it for an hour.  Up and down hills, on the highway and he drives pretty well.  Tranny fluid smelled about the same before and after the ride...wasn't displaying any error codes.  The car isn't a rocket but I am supposed to be taking it slow and I had it up to 70 mph and it was ok..bit louder then my subaru but once I add insulation that should change some.

Going to be a while till I can save up for the build...but I plan on tossing a pullout bed frame and put in a maxaire deluxe roof fan asap, I had a fantastic fan in my old camper and the first muggy rainy night it sucked...replaced it with the maxaire and it worked great after that!

one day when my disability kicks in I would love to snowbird for the winter months, and I have seen those awnings that is basically a tent against the van for bad weather/privacy or screen rooms.  I guess the whole point is to be outside the van... but weather happens.

Happy Trails!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Dobby.jpg
    Dobby.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 15
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 42
Congratulations!!! I hope you end up loving yours as much as I love mine!

Congratulations! I have a friend with a Connect and she's made it into the perfect travel vehicle, for her. Good gas mileage.

Congrats!
Did you name him "Dobby" for the House Elf? :)

( That's from the Harry Potter series, for you Muggles. ;)
I named my van "Fawkes", for the phoenix from that same series. )

Thanks!  Fuel economy is a huge plus!  Got him all registered and inspected today.

Yeah I am a Geek lol... Big Harry Potter fan, and I have heard more than one person say a Van needs a name.  Well was watching a euro video and saw the fiat doblar and it popped in my head "Dobby"  lol so ordered the stuffed plush one and he is my copilot lol...he is in one of the pictures.  

I am definitely pulling out the double second row seat.  I am going to keep the single seat for now, and see if it is even used over the next few months and if not when I can afford to build I will make up my mind to keep it or toss it.  I rarely have a 2nd person in the car with me so a 3rd is a stretch lol.

I could do a passenger side pull out couch and make it in 2 pieces so the 3rd seat could be used without having to dismantle the whole bed, like undo a few turnbuckles, lift it off fold the seat up for the 3rd passenger.  Lose storage space that way and I want to carry a real small porta potty for emergency/extreme laziness lol.

any thoughts? (or pictures ;)  )

LOL! Will search for him in your pics, next time I'm at a Library (am data limited right now).
Yes, all vans worthy of being a Home, must have a name!!! :D
I want a "What would Dobby do" bumper sticker. :)

Brian & JD...
#sigh#
Alas, earwax.
#boomers#
;)

More seriously, if you haven't seen at least the movies, Deryk and I highly recommend the entire series.
"Dobby" shows up at the beginning of the 2nd movie/book.

JD: if you don't (almost) instantly identify with Dobby, I will be severely disappointed in you. ;)
For years, I've been using the terms "having a Dobby Moment" and "the Dobby Maneuver", both of which will become clear once you've "met" dear Dobby.

The books are even better, plus, the audio books are superb. Purely in my opinion, they're the best read audio books I've ever experienced.
They give me great hopes for the generations that have grown up with them... very subversive. :)

To get back on van topic:
deryk_the_gypsy said:
want to carry a real small porta potty for emergency/extreme laziness

Yes, in my youth, I "pooped in the woods", but having even a bucket is much better in my middle age. Having the least stressful toilet that's also practical, is a huge morale boost.
It's not "lazy", IMO. :)

Well been busy, Dobby now has a Maxx Fan Deluxe, plywood floor (that will be getting some kind of linoleum because the ply is a little muddy from all the rain.  I have definitely pushed myself and am hurting from it, but wanted to get as much done as I could while I was away at my cabin without interruptions

Attachments

• MaxxFannBegining.jpg
    MaxxFannBegining.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190609_175911763.jpg
    IMG_20190609_175911763.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • Wood floor.jpg
    Wood floor.jpg
    979.2 KB · Views: 26
  • bedbegining.jpg
    bedbegining.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 26
  • bedbegining1.jpg
    bedbegining1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 30
  • bedbegining2.jpg
    bedbegining2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 22
and bed is pretty much done... will get treated since the frame is oak, the sliders are pine.  I bought myself a new 9" memory foam mattress from Ikea for 1/2 price in their lightly used demo furnishings.  The queen size was still sealed in plastic, got it for $200.  My few year old 9" memory foam will be going into Dobby.  Sitting compacts it down nicely but its like laying on a cloud.

Attachments

• Bed1.jpg
    Bed1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 25
  • bed2.jpg
    bed2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 16
  • bed3.jpg
    bed3.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Bed4.jpg
    Bed4.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 25
Thank you....now i can see how the slat-bed is made !!! Doesn't look that difficult.

deryk:
Thanks for the update - looks shiny! :)
Is that a porta potty near the front? Excellent placement!
I hope you take it/him for a gentle test run, soon. :)

I'm finally viewing your thread with images "on", and was delighted to find Dobby.
He needs socks. :)
Seriously.
Something ab-normal, and, of course, mis-matched would be best. :)
Maybe try a thrift store, and see what you can find? Extremely low priority, of course. :)

Thanks! I looked at tons of video's and mel's I liked best I am a visual person, when I see something I can usually figure it out. I went with oak for the legs and supports. Yeah more pricey but I am betting on the strength of it. I am guessing the bed cost me around $130 to build. I am adding one more thing, an aluminum 1/4"x1" x 6' long to screw into the extendable section so they will move together and add some more support. In Mel's video he used another piece of wood but with the low ceiling height and wanting that porta potty the bed sits just at 14" tall so I think sitting on my cushion my head might not touch the ceiling lol.

and yeah I was thinking socks too lol.

Thanks!  Dobby did some deliveries for a custom optics company in his past.  There was a velcro strap on each side I guess to hold boxes?  I thought it was torq screws but it's rivets...lots of drilling to remove them to pack insulation in there....one day.

flooring was a breeze to do...just need to anchor the bed with the turnbuckles and eye bolts I picked up.  Bed needs to be able to be removed so I can access those plastic knobs to change the rear drivers side lights.

The bed frame weighs around 40 some pounds i would guess.  I can move it myself out and back in the van without my back hurting...just need a hand truck to easily move it any distance.  the plywood floor probably weighs about what those 3 rear seats weighed.  Want to try to keep the van light as possible.  The peel and stick floor went down well.  Went to lowes and these were on sale for $.98 each.  Bought a box of 45 and can easily redo the floor.

I have to give some thought I have a few ideas for screens for the front 2 side windows for air.  I can sew so thinking of either something I can open the door slide it over the window area and close the door... or maybe snap in screens like on a boat canvas work....hmmm

Attachments

• FinishedFloor4.jpg
    FinishedFloor4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 26
I will take that E-track if you don't want it. what part of the country are you in roughly? highdesertranger