talk me down from this ledge

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frater secessus

Reaction score
I was going to put off serious van consideration until late in the year but I just stumbled across a van I like. Dangit. I've never bought a new or nearly-new car before so I am a bit spazzed out at the prospect.

2017 Ram Promaster 159" cargo, white. 12k miles.
It was owned by a fleet/rental place (the only owner) for about 6 months.
Good but not insane price; about 23% off new invoice.
Low-pressure and surprisingly knowledgeable salesdude. He knew more about the Promasters on his lot than the Ram dealers do.

2 years / 24k miles factory warranty left on bumper to bumper and roadside.
4 years and 48k miles factory warranty left on (gas/6spd) drivetrain.

Normal work scratches on side, no dents. Dealer got it at auction and hasn't cleaned it yet. Still has workmen dirt on floorboards; I think that is preferable to seeing one that's been detailed and faked up. I crawled around under it; no damage, rust, etc. Spare is there.

Drove it and felt like it could be the one. For a ginormous land yacht (the cargo area is is 6'4" tall by 6'2" wide and 12' long) the van is nimble and quick, no issues of any kind that I can tell. I have no doubts the 3.6L is sufficient. Steering is centered, no hard shifts, no brake squealing (a common issue on PMs). Roadfeel on the 2500 was better unladen than my Ranger. Faster too.

Came home and ran Carfax, Autocheck, flooded/stolen/salvage; all clean. Logged into Chase where I have had an account for 25yrs; they don't lend for cargo vans. They are totally absent from the Chase auto loan website and a phone rep confirmed it. Fine, ya bastids. I have an account elsewhere and did the pre-qual there.

There are a couple of things I would have to do to it, so I will offer a bit less than they want:

* front tires need replacing. since it only has 12K miles on it and they are evenly worn like old tires I think the prior owners stole the new tires for another Promaster and put the dying ones on this one before sending to auction. :-( $200 x 2.

* no backup camera. It was fine in traffic but I want to be able to see behind its giant van butt when backing up. ~$100 aftermarket.

* maybe no cruise control. I was in city traffic and didn't look for that. If not, another $200?

I will talk to the dealer tomorrow, check the cruise, and if all systems look go I will have a mech look at it. Will make a highway run on the way to the mech. If I was smart I would put it off few more months but this looks like a winner.

Sounds awesome! My first thought when you said auction was "accident", but if carfax, etc, checked out I don't see anything too terrible about the deal. Maybe go check out a Dodge and/or Promaster forum or two and see what actual owners are dealing with!

Talk you down?

Shucks.  The "You Ain't Right" club is gonna gather and begin chanting:  Jump! Jump! Jump!

But in all seriousness, if you're going to retire in 2025, what are you gonna do with this thing for eight years?  Put it up on blocks and let it sit?  Put it on the road and drive it every day?  If you turn it into your daily driver, how many miles will you put on it every year?  Put it on the road as a second vehicle and drive it occasionally?  What is that gonna cost every year in insurance?

If you were only two or three years out, I'd say it was a no-brainer.  Pay it off while you are still working, and have it all fixed up to go so you could hit the road the day after you retire. But eight years?

Make sure you're comparing to actual bargained-down new price, not list sticker.

And lots of people say not so great mechanically, longevity? Some say even the Sprinter better that way.

Check out also the big Ford Transits, new here but been used for decades in Europe.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
But in all seriousness, if you're going to retire in 2025, what are you gonna do with this thing for eight years?  Put it up on blocks and let it sit?  Put it on the road and drive it every day?  If you turn it into your daily driver, how many miles will you put on it every

Point taken. The van plays into a couple different scenarios.

* I work for a Texas state agency. My particular office is kinda stagnant but there are good lateral and upward moves with the agency all around the state. If I took one of those in another city I would just go full time when I left here.

* If I stay at this location I could find a place where I can plug in during summers for relatively cheap (low end RV park? Someone's driveway?) I've been sniffing around for a couple of months already. I could move out of this rental and use the rent funds to pay the van note and all related expenses. Free van, in a sense.

* the state job offers a lot of time off and holidays; even if I don't switch to fulltime I would like a camping platform. I currently do it in my campershell but bonking one's head gets old.

* my current vehicle is nearing the end of its practical life (went over 300K miles this year).

* I've never had a new[ish] car, and I can afford it now. I've been told functional air conditioning is a neat feature, and I'd like to find out for myself. I have no debt, I have no wife, no kids at home. I am stuffing my retirement accounts and working. At this stage I could probably justify it as a hobby if nothing else. :)

Once you find The One, JUMP!

If your record is good, insurance won't be much, if you let them know you average say 2-300 miles a month.

Be nice to slowly build it out, snag bargains on gear with no time pressure, prototyping design issues on weekends and vacations, make it functionally and aesthetically perfect by the time you retire.

If you like it and think it's the one, best time to buy is while you're gainfully employed and can pay it off and fix it up too. From the mileage on your car it doesn't have but a few years left on it anyways. JUMP!

John61CT said:
Make sure you're comparing to actual bargained-down new price, not list sticker.

Agreed. I compared the price to invoice for that build, not MSRP. They are pretty close to each other anyhow, only about 4% difference.

John61CT said:
And lots of people say not so great mechanically, longevity? Some say even the Sprinter better that way.

Google: Ford Transit "piece of junk" -- 14,400 hits
Google Ram Promaster "piece of junk" -- 985 hits
Google Sprinter "piece of junk" -- 267,000 hits (!)

Totally nonscientific, of course. My point is that there are people who are dissatisfied with all the platforms.

John61CT said:
Check out also the big Ford Transits, new here but been used for decades in Europe.

I have checked out the Transits; I do like them. I like the PM better, and even though there are fewer PMs out there I see way more high roof PMs than high roof Transits.

Concerning pedigree, the Ducato platform is (by far) the most common RV platform in Europe and has, like the Transit, been around for decades. I will admit the Transit started in the 1960s and the Ducato in the 1980s.

John61CT said:
Be nice to slowly build it out, snag bargains on gear with no time pressure, prototyping design issues on weekends and vacations, make it functionally and aesthetically perfect by the time you retire.

Yeah, I think that's a lot of it. I'm doing CAD (cardboard aided design) here in my office. I've got it mocked up as the 136" so the 159" would be bonus.

Thanks for your input.

frater secessus said:
All three of the below reasons are valid. Jump! and take detailed pictures of the build so that I can learn from you :p

* I work for a Texas state agency.  My particular office is kinda stagnant but there are good lateral and upward moves with the agency all around the state.  If I took one of those in another city I would just go full time when I left here.

* If I stay at this location I could find a place where I can plug in during summers for relatively cheap (low end RV park?  Someone's driveway?) I've been sniffing around for a couple of months already.  I could move out of this rental and use the rent funds to pay the van note and all related expenses.  Free van, in a sense.

* the state job offers a lot of time off and holidays;  even if I don't switch to fulltime I would like a camping platform.  I currently do it in my campershell but bonking one's head gets old.  

The high-top?

CAC40RMV032A021003.jpg

Rawr!

Lovely.

One thing I don't like about the ProMaster is the rear axel hangs really low. That's fine for pavement but could be a problem on the type of lumpy unpaved national forest/BLM roads I've encountered.

they just don't look durable to me,,,and man are there a lot for sale,,,,also not reading many good things about them,,,and you aint going very far off the beaten path with one.

Hmm, i believe it was the shock mounts that were the low point...If I remember correctly.
I'd want to confirm that's the best price, doesnt seem like it has depreciated quite enough off of list...

It and the Transit are great as far as a vehcle type, I agree to stay away from the MB Sprinters.

Since you have steady paychecks coming in you can afford to do a slower, thorough build and invest more than others can afford (like 600+ watts solar as you have the roof space) as well as getting it RV licensed (check what Tx says is required).

Everyone here has their own budget and likes. What works for some (a sub $2000 van with no computers that they can fix themselves as they have the skills and tools) isn't what others who aren't as skilled want...  you pick what you want (after researching of course) and forget the haters. 

Best of luck on your choice!  :)

MrNoodly said:
One thing I don't like about the ProMaster is the rear axel hangs really low.

The Transit shock mounts are even lower, but at least you can straddle stuff with the Transit. NV has the most clearance.

This world isn said:
'd want to confirm that's the best price, doesnt seem like it has depreciated quite enough off of list...

Enough for whom? :p

Car Gurus rates it as a green-arrow "Good Deal", $2000 below market price for that vehicle. I've been using automated search tools to harvest listings from ebay, craigslist, trucktrader, autotrader, etc, for months and it's the best price I've seen on a nearly-new long wheel base high roof PM.