Tag-along showers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATrucker2

Reaction score
I admit I have not read every messge of every thread regarding showers so please excuse me if this has been covered and I missed it. Has anyone designed/built a mobile tag-along showering system mounted on small trailer suchas the little red ones harbor freight sells?

No, I was hopin to look over the shoulder of someone who has one for ideas

Other than the big commercial trailer shower building/trailers like the one you linked to, I've never seen any all my years on the road.

Most of us just use a portable shower system that is either a solar bag hung from something (van/tree etc) or a pump up shower tank. Some will hide in the trees, others just stand beside their van/trailer and shower and others have tent like shower set ups. I also like to use showers at community centers, pools etc. - that way I don't have to do the cleaning of them!

IMO, not much need to be hauling a trailer down the road for something that isn't used more than 20 minutes at a time, even if you shower daily. You'd have to build in holding tanks which would mean filling and emptying them...sounds like way too much work to me.... :D

Well truckstops/travelcenter showers are up to $13 now and I'm sure they will be only going higher. I stay in cities for the the most part so I cant hang solar bags and shower as well outback campers can.

I was thinking of mounting a 3x3 plastic shower pan, 30-40 gal tank with propane heated water and a couple of pump all set up for quick use on a small low profile enclosed trailer.

I see a lot of teardrop campers haul around for sleeping but I'd rather sleep standing up in a shower if I had to chose between the two

Cargo trailer, wading pool, garden sprayer, propane stove, done and done, after showering, go to a car wash and dump the wading pool into the drains there

Thanks guys. I did a bit of research and was thinking of something along the lines of those Coleman hot water propane shower with a lower profile trailer that is a bit less expensive as most cargo trailers but also more discreet I prefer not to seem as if I'm hauling a port-a-potty. Often people on youtube who do product testing are affiliated with the company and give biased opinions, has anyone here used the Coleman hot water showers?

yes I have one. my review, it works, it heats water. doesn't have the pressure of a stick and brick system but is adequate. what else do you want to know? highdesertranger

Nothing in specific just making sure its durable and works as well as some say on youtube. Thanks

My set up is a hula hoop strung up (inside with a shower pan of some sort) or outside, shower curtain and solar shower (or 1 gal milk jug of water complete with stick stuck in a hole made for control :D ).

I know in this forum it may not be complicated but in my world it is, if I expect any companionship on any weekend fishing or camping trips I had better have a place thats private, warm and in some cases a place to apply makeup (Yes, I'm rollin my eyes as most here are as well). I have revisited the suggested cargo idea trailer with complete setup and just put it in my storage facility when not in use.

Ah yes, must accommodate the other half
Glad I don't have that problem

I started out in that direction but ended up with an 80" x 80" trailer we sleep in that hauls a two room shower tent with black mixing tub for grey water and coleman water heater for shower, as HDR said it works. Used foam 5 gallon cooler for water and plumbed hoses so it could recirculate and get 5 gallons of water to temp then just use pump to shower. Presently building 48" x 80" room on to trailer for the shower and bathroom, so trailer will be close to 11' long by 80" wide. I don't like that the coleman unit must be charged before use I think an instant on unit with 12 volt pump might work better, not good to run out of charge half way through shower and have to wait to recharge unit.

I see, maybe I should rethink the Coleman. I was hoping to explain beforehand that this is for marine type showers but on second thought chances are good I'll only be talking to myself. Which instant on unit did you go with or plan to?

I'm still using the coleman as you can get it to pump about 10 gallons on a charge, at least I do. There are several instant on units out there but I would make sure you plumb it to self drain or keep it in a heated area to prevent freezing.

Latest posts