Sunriver is hiring housekeeping. $25/hr

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelmonkey

Reaction score
Sunriver Hiring

I’m not affiliated with Sunriver; I just ran across this news article.  $25/hr is good money.  I assume they are having challenges finding people due to COVID.

Sun River? where? Oregon?

Highdesertranger

duh I looked right over the link. thanks for posting

Many businesses are having to offer a living wage in order to stay in business with the Covid 19 and the failure to raise the minimum wage. About time in my opinion as in the past many employed workers from overseas at wages below what it takes to live in this country by offering substandard living conditions much like the old time coal mining company towns of eastern Kentucky before the unions. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming year!

Bullfrog - I’m not sure substandard living conditions is a fair assessment but I’ve never worked these seasonal jobs. Many of these places that hire seasonal workers need to look outside of the areas because the local population can’t support hiring needs.

The good news is these temp companies have to compete more with each other for limited employees (probably due to COVID or increased unemployment benefits).

I have a new neighbor who is a seasonal employee who just pulled in with a basic tent camper and two large dogs. Temps will probably be in the 90s today with it well into the 100s in a few weeks. Last year we had a similar one last a full month but they had just one smaller dog. I'm betting they will last 3 weeks unless someone complains about the dogs being left out in the sun with tipped over water dishes. Usually we have a crowd of desperate people show up but so far this year this is the only one. Outside the local area is one thing, outside the country is a whole other thing when it comes to large companies and money.

I’ve been reading about fewer people in the workforce, possibly because of the covid bonus to unemployment that brings many over the income level they had from their prior jobs.

Why would people work a full time job when they get more money staying out of the workforce?

I wouldn’t, and I have an excellent work ethic.

Strange time we’re in.

Most I know are training for better jobs, something they couldn't do before as they would have been out on the street, starving, in bankruptcy or eviction court. Some have taken the the money to invest in tools for their newly gained skills, like a laptop and coding training. It really is not a problem of work ethics, all most all of these people were living paycheck to paycheck and have now had the opportunity they had been unsuccessfully saving for and many are finding less labor intensive jobs that pay more while figuring out life on the road can be cheaper than chasing the elusive American Dream. There are a lot of disabled and people with mental problems that are still facing in hard times that are yet to be helped. Most able bodied people are willing and able to go to work and have in better jobs that pay a living wage. Those that don't are being called at least in Utah by unemployment counselors and offered training or jobs that if they refuse lose all benefits, you would not be very smart not to take advantage of those opportunities. A fulltime job should mean a living wage, health security and a feeling of doing something worthwhile with a chance for advancement. A few people have gotten extremely rich because they have been able to profit for years from cheap labor. Just take a look at some of our country"s largest employers like Walmart. The average wage required to live in this country without debt is between $40,000 to a little under $70,000 depending on how and where you live I believe. Most families with everyone in the family working don't come close.

Travelmonkey said:
Bullfrog - I’m not sure substandard living conditions is a fair assessment but I’ve never worked these seasonal jobs. 

That's the situation I found in AK two years ago when I drove up for a job.  Actually, it wasn't so much that it was substandard it was more of a "less-than-desirable housing" setup for an older person...LOL. Too many young people wanting to party most of the time and making it difficult for an old dude to get up at 5am everyday. On top of that, I paid  $10/day for the privilege.

If I had to do it over, I would try to arrange it so that I could sleep in my van away from the hubbub but still be allowed use of the facilities. I wanted to try and do that last year but COVID spoiled those plans.

So I'm perusing Coolworks.com to see what I can come up with this year. It's more for the opportunity to have a trip thru Canada and rides on the Alaska ferries again paid for than earning extra income.

Then there are people like me. People who aren't/weren't willing to risk their health to work around other employees and customers who believe this pandemic is a joke. When I went back to Florida last May, my x boss wanted me to work. I wouldn't do it as I worked with the general public. He himself, stopped working in his own shop when the virus was spreading. Sorry Hoss, I'm not expendable. 

I am not collecting unemployment. I wasn't eligible because I quit my job with ample notice before I hit the road.

I've had both shots of Moderna and a couple weeks after the second to develop immunity and that changes everything. I'm 66 and collecting a meager Social Security Retirement check but if the right job popped up I may just take it

There is nothing political about a worldwide pandemic

^^^Absolutely and because of the stimulus you will find several better paying jobs are available. All federal government and their contractors must pay a minimum of $15 an hour by executive order and all federal facilities are required to take preventions against covid. In a strange way covid may have caused the world to change for the better but at a huge cost in human lives, wish we would have been smart enough to have done it without killing millions.

bullfrog said:
^^^Absolutely and because of the stimulus you will find several better paying jobs are available. All federal government and their contractors must pay a minimum of $15 an hour by executive order and all federal facilities are required to take preventions against covid.
^^^ That

The only problem is living wage is going to get redefined with the coming inflation wave.   You can see the whitecaps on the wave right now, they look kind of like OSB.

If you can not afford to get the things you need now it won't matter how much they go up. It might affect those making over $400,000 but those under that will be much better off one way or another, either through better paying jobs or government investing in lower income improvement programs in my opinion. During hard times in rural Kentucky we didn't seem to feel depressed as we always had been, it was the normal for us.

Sunriver is a resort community south of Bend Or. Plenty of boondocking in the Deschutes National Forest which surrounds it. Nice area.

That can be a tough job, depending what the timer is. But it is still an excellent wage in many places, especially for a job that doesn't require a certification etc.

IGBT said:
The only problem is living wage is going to get redefined with the coming inflation wave.   You can see the whitecaps on the wave right now, they look kind of like OSB.

What is OSB?

OSB = Oriented Strand Board.

It's that sheet wood that looks like wood chips. I wouldn't use it if it was given to me.

Highdesertranger

Now we just have to figure out how OSB relates to inflation.