Summer Gathering, East Coast GTG, Mentoring Program

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow Gypsy said:
Have been a member of Escapees since the 1990s, am well aware of how that group as morphed over the years.  I certainly hope that is not the path that is followed here.  The founders were family people, campers, but they have passed on and now it is "corporate".  I won't detail here, since most here would have no interest in the Escapees to begin with, as they cater more and more to specific demographics, $$$$$$$$.
My opinion, but as my status says "Not a fit".  I do remain in the forum to answer any questions that I might be able to with my extensive RVing/full-timing history.

I welcome your experience & knowledge as I do with so many others on this forum. As a backpacker, I only recently found Escapees RV Club. I read about their history & viewed their website and was amazed that this started with a couple and a group of friends. After finding their forum I agree with you completely on the demographics, it's still a community of like minded folks just in an entirely different neighborhood, like communal living vs corporate living. 
:) Not a fit... fitting in has never been a priority of mine. I think when our paths cross that it'll be a nice time.

Wow. Did the east coast interest get hijacked by friends of bob in the southwest?

Motrukdriver said:
Arizona is not all desert.

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Arizona/Flagstaff/

And it gets cooler the higher you go.

Payson, Pine, Show Low and the Mogollon Rim in general are great areas to summer in Arizona with large primitive camping areas to support a Summer RTR event...

Bob's recent youtube video describes some delays with the Forestry Service and permits for a summer event. I'm sure if it can be done, he's the guy that will make it happen...

https://www.visitmesa.com/things-to-do/day-trips/mogollon-rim/

Weight said:
Wow. Did the east coast interest get hijacked by friends of bob in the southwest?

yeah, I guess we have strayed a bit from the OP

I guess we to talking about point 3. Sorry east coast folks!

rm.w/aview said:
If a sense of community remains then we can be both. The benevolence in such a large & diverse group already exists here on the forum and CheapRVLiving extends beyond this forum. RTR 2018 was the organization of community members at various levels. A similar community organization, https://escapees.com , is very good at what they do and ...

I am in the R&D phase of my personal van build.  Hope to have a van by March 1.  Years ago, I was a founding member of a food coop.  A few people worked super hard and others complained that there were "issues".  If we had started on the ground of a WRITTEN agreement, complete with a philosophy statement and all the legalities, our co-op may have survived.  As it was, whoever worked the hardest had the most say, and the cooperative spirit dwindled.  So much has been learned the hard way about consensus, organization etc, that I hope CheapRVLiving can learn from.

My idea of mentoring, and keeping it simple, is for someone to host a free conference call, and then later people can "stay on" and network and offer/receive mentoring buddies.  Thousands of online programs have "accountability buddy"   aspects.  It requires minimal administration. 

Threads like this one, facilitating opportunities for people to physically meet, are the best at setting up mentoring programs that work.

I believe there is a couple of meet ups in Western New York I will try to find the info and send to you. I was thinking of setting up a Facebook Page for those of us in the Northeast unless someone else wants or is doing that. I think a meeting where experienced and new or want-tobes would be great. I plan on starting soon but will need to stay in New England most of the year which presents a lot of challenges with weather but when your on a tight budget and not able to work fulltime Van Life is really the only way to be able to have a life! I take care of my Dad who has Alzhiemers and its been great but he is falling a lot and can't control his bodily functions to well and I'm having a hard time lifting and helping him shower as I have a bad heart and chronic pain. I know there are many of us in the same boat but unless I hit the lottery I have to give up my apartment after paying rent I will be left with $50 ::) I think if word got out many folks would be interested in this life styleonce they see it can be done.
Peace & Blessings
Mike
Nomad Sharpener

Attachments

• IMG_20171020_104204.jpg
    IMG_20171020_104204.jpg
    911.3 KB
Is be interested in attending. Been wanting to go to RTR for the past couple years but its so far away. In Pennsylvania you can probably go to state parks. They are free for 2 weeks like BLM land

Motrukdriver said:
This thread is from a fella trying to organize a gathering out East.  So far I believe the leading location is Rhea Springs, TN.  If he gets this off the ground I'm sure he'll be posting more information.  

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=27678
that would be a great test run when I get ready.. Im in eastern NC

Theiznezz said:
Is be interested in attending. Been wanting to go to RTR for the past couple years but its so far away. In Pennsylvania you can probably go to state parks. They are free for 2 weeks like BLM land

I just looked at the Pennsylvania Bureau of State Parks.  There is no "day use" fee, but all the campgrounds are fee-based.  I'm super curious to find out what free camping you know of in Pennsylvania?

Didn't read the whole thread, but I think our best bet would be to find someone with a big empty field they would rent to us for a reasonable fee. We would all have to pay an small entrance fee to cover it, or we could do a crowdfunding, but it could be done. The only problem would be having to leave for a day so they could mow. Also, fair grounds are available in some rural towns in the summer, as well as school yards and stadium parking lots or fields. The advantages to these would obviously be water availability, and in fairgrounds, there would even be electrical hookups available. Maybe not the most beautiful places, but better than the desert in summer, that's for sure. 

We could organize some day trips to see local sites as well, or those who want to, could go off on their own. Another problem would be finding level land far enough north in the east to park on. It would take a lot of searching, but I don't think it's impossible. There is more rural country on the east coast than you would believe.

Benji offered his 32 acre property in King, NC, for a gathering at no charge. He posted his offer in another Forum. Very generous. ;)

LathrenJames said:
Benji offered his 32 acre property in King, NC, for a gathering at no charge. He posted his offer in another Forum. Very generous. ;)

Please keep me in the loop. I'm in Ohio until Oct.

Red

Latest posts