Sugar Beet Harvest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your going out west why don't you go to a tourist trap that suits your needs and get any kind of job that pays $8/10 bucks an hour, what the heck you got nuthin to lose. not often in peak season are their no jobs, and what do you care what it is, moneys money, a half a loaf is better then no loaf.

caretaker said:
if your going out west why don't you go to a tourist trap that suits your needs and get any kind of job that pays $8/10 bucks an hour, what the heck you got nuthin to lose. not often in peak season are their no jobs, and what do you care what it is, moneys money, a half a loaf is better then no loaf.

The Sugar Beet deal was one of the first I ever heard of probably because everyone seemed to be talking about it so I picked up on it and applied. It was a little too far west for me since I am coming from Florida. When I get a van it will be much more reliable then what I have now and I plan on heading out west for sure. Right now my biggest  problem is getting information. Where do I find all these jobs everyone seems to be talking about?

its kind of hard to explain, I've never had to look too hard to find work, its like once you find your mojo on it,,,,i don't know if its the right way to explain it, once you figure out what your proficient at and you start looking at jobs that fits those parameters they seem to pop up out of no where, its like one time i pulled into a junk yard to get some parts for my old pick up,,,and ended up working their for two weeks breaking parts down for a percentage of the scrap weight,,,i worked my rear end off and drove away with 7 one hundred dollar bills,,,,i can't figure out how to put it into words.

Google work camper.  Lots of resources see I'll come up.  Most are free so don't pay until you look around.

Cool works.com
A lot of the National Park concessionaire companies post jobs here as well as private campgrounds.

Caretaker Gazette
If you think you want to house or land sit, check this resource.

Once you start looking you will find a lot of interesting and/or strange jobs.  Keep an open but questioning mind.

Have you tried looking into getting seasonal work at marinas, i camped next to a guy in florida that does that.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Iggy said:
I just got an email from the folks at sugarbeetharvest.com. They rejected my application because I live in a van. Apparently, it is a requirement to have a self contained RV now. I'm rather bummed. :(

I just got the same email and from Amazon too. I had this and Amazon lined up for my work. I'm worried about jobs now. I'm a new baby bird out of the nest trying to fly & I'm not old enough for SS. I live & have lived off & on in an 4 cylinder 2wd Toyota Tacoma truck with a fiberglass regular camper shell. I dispersed camp 99.9% of the time. I have thought about buying a little taller camper shell if it doesn't kill the 19 mpg - 250 miles per tank that I get. I cant afford 6 or 8 cylinder pick up with slide in camper or trailer, maybe a van if I don't have to wrench on it very often. I do the basics, check air/add, change oil, fluids/top off and pay others do the harder things. I'm spoiled, my truck is low maintenance & problems free. I don't have solar or a frig yet. I had in my mind to buy another battery, inverter; I did buy 400 watt Cobra that Bob Wells suggested on this website. and run these things off of that, then realized I wont be driving much to charge the battery, especially when I add the frig.  I do have money now for the solar and frig, just not 100% sure which one for the less amount of cost  up front & in the long run; Renogy or Zamp etc... and when to do it. I have a month or little less time left at my friends place. If the 200 watt suitcase kit will do all I need. I do want a AMG sealed battery. Here's what I have, a 5.5 yrs old gaming laptop, 4 yrs old smartphone, 3 yrs old portable dvd player as a backup, once I have solar, Dometic CF-18 or something better.
What your opinions? Thank you and I appreciate it.

I was editing the post when I got kicked out. I received an email welcome letter from Amazon yesterday and I sent and email back asking if my truck and camper shell setup is accepted. Don't want to waste anyone's time if that set up it not accepted. Will keep you posted.

Spelling correction AGM sealed battery :-}

Photogal39Travels said:
Iggy said:
I just got an email from the folks at sugarbeetharvest.com. They rejected my application because I live in a van. Apparently, it is a requirement to have a self contained RV now. I'm rather bummed. :(

I just got the same email and from Amazon too. I had this and Amazon lined up for my work. I'm worried about jobs now. I'm a new baby bird out of the nest trying to fly & I'm not old enough for SS. I live & have lived off & on in an 4 cylinder 2wd Toyota Tacoma truck with a fiberglass regular camper shell. I dispersed camp 99.9% of the time. I have thought about buying a little taller camper shell if it doesn't kill the 19 mpg - 250 miles per tank that I get. I cant afford 6 or 8 cylinder pick up with slide in camper or trailer, maybe a van if I don't have to wrench on it very often. I do the basics, check air/add, change oil, fluids/top off and pay others do the harder things. I'm spoiled, my truck is low maintenance & problems free. I don't have solar or a frig yet. I had in my mind to buy another battery, inverter; I did buy 400 watt Cobra that Bob Wells suggested on this website. and run these things off of that, then realized I wont be driving much to charge the battery, especially when I add the frig.  I do have money now for the solar and frig, just not 100% sure which one for the less amount of cost  up front & in the long run; Renogy or Zamp etc... and when to do it. I have a month or little less time left at my friends place. If the 200 watt suitcase kit will do all I need. I do want a AMG sealed battery. Here's what I have, a 5.5 yrs old gaming laptop, 4 yrs old smartphone, 3 yrs old portable dvd player as a backup, once I have solar, Dometic CF-18 or something better.
What your opinions? Thank you and I appreciate it.

I hope Amazon doesnt change their minds on me too like that. I bet I have spent 40+ hours and $400+ getting ready for those two gigs and they seem to be crumbling before my eyes. What really ticks me off is I told both of them up front I had an SUV and a tent and they said it was cool upfront. Not a good initial experience to workcamping I hate to say.

That's not good business practices on there part.  :dodgy: I will send the required stuff they want and we will see what happens. In the mean time I will keep researching and looking for other jobs that don't care what I live as long as I do a job to the best of my abilities.
So much info on here and out on the web. If I had a writing, blogging etc talent, I would do that & not worry so much. I'm doing this lifestyle to not worry so much.... I'm sure once I get into the groove of this new lifestyle the stress will melt away. My main talent is customer service skills & 2nd is photography - wildlife & landscapes.

Apparently I'm pretty lucky. This will be my first time doing the beet harvest. I live in my van, but I'm staying on a site with a 5th wheel. Yes, 5th wheel, truck, and van all on one site. I did Amazon last year like this too with the same person. No issues. I guess befriending "real" fulltimers has it's perks.