Sugar Beet Harvest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian did a very nice video on the beet harvest last year:  Workamping Job

From his comments: AdventureVanMan "I applied with Express Employment."

Thanks for the tip Brad! That's a great video, haven't found much about the actual work is like so good to have.

Just a note for anyone who sees this. sugarbeetharvest.com sends you a plaintext password in your email. Bad security practice. Make sure to give them a throwaway password.

I just got an email from the folks at sugarbeetharvest.com. They rejected my application because I live in a van. Apparently, it is a requirement to have a self contained RV now. I'm rather bummed. :(

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

bardo said:
so be sure to call your van an RV
They require pictures of your vehicle, according to the email.

so in order to work their hard, laborious, and temporary job for a few thousand dollars you must already be well to do with a social security, pension, and a $300k nestegg?

Iggy said:
They require pictures of your vehicle, according to the email.

They didn't ask for pictures of mine but I also stated fifth wheel. Any time a vandweller applies for the sugarbeet harvest they need to put their RV type down as a Class B. 

Reapply in a month and change the dwelling type.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it yet although they offered me a position, mostly due to my dogs and a lack of guarantee on a specific position until I arrive, and even then it's not promised until you are accepted for their training.

Iggy said:
I just got an email from the folks at sugarbeetharvest.com. They rejected my application because I live in a van. Apparently, it is a requirement to have a self contained RV now. I'm rather bummed. :(

I know how you feel, Iggy. I got turned down for a job at Adventureland in Iowa because I live in a van and not an RV. It's bogus, too.

In any case, I did get accepted as a seasonal worker at Yellowstone in one of their stores as a cashier. However, they offer as a condition of employment lodging in one of their employee dorms unless you have an RV, in which case you can stay at their employees' RV park. They also offer a meal plan for employees as another condition of employment. I decided to stay in the employee dorm as you have to have a self-contained RV to stay in the employees' RV site. I first heard about the job through Workampers.com since I'm a member there.

VanGrrl57 :)

DuneElliot said:
They didn't ask for pictures of mine but I also stated fifth wheel. Any time a vandweller applies for the sugarbeet harvest they need to put their RV type down as a Class B. 

Reapply in a month and change the dwelling type.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it yet although they offered me a position, mostly due to my dogs and a lack of guarantee on a specific position until I arrive, and even then it's not promised until you are accepted for their training.
That was my mistake, I was honest. I checked the Class B but also added that my vehicle was a half ton cargo van. I don't know if I can amend it now that I'm in their files.

Iggy said:
That was my mistake, I was honest. I checked the Class B but also added that my vehicle was a half ton cargo van. I don't know if I can amend it now that I'm in their files.

That's why I mentioned giving it a month. In that time you "got a new vehicle"  ;)

DuneElliot said:
That's why I mentioned giving it a month. In that time you "got a new vehicle"  ;)

just watched James on  utube  ... talking about beet harvest work ... wow  sounds really hard .... good luck

i always find the self contained description strange. My thetford toilet in my van is functionally identical to the cassette toilet i had in my huge niagara popup and several truck campers ive seen.

My van also has had a grey and fresh water tank i put in for sink in the past.

Iggy said:

I had a friend who tried to sneak the vandweller thing by Xenterra but got caught when he arrived and checked into the employee RV spot. They still offered him a job but he had to move into the dorms and pay $100 per week for room and board. He stated you must have a "Hard sided self contained RV with shower"...

Deal Breaker said:
I had a friend who tried to sneak the vandweller thing by Xenterra but got caught when he arrived and checked into the employee RV spot. They still offered him a job but he had to move into the dorms and pay $100 per week for room and board. He stated you must have a "Hard sided self contained RV with shower"...

I don't know if you've seen Nate's video from Element Van Life. He had the same questions from the camp host but they let him stay in the campsite in his Honda Element anyway last season, and that was in ND for American Crystal.

probably depends on how desperate they are for employees and if the company itself runs the park.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this.

After applying to the Sugar Beet Harvest about a week ago, I got a reply. The standard thank you for your application and we hope you'll join us, etc. However, after that I received the second email. That email said that I appear to be a solo worker, meaning one person in a vehicle. It went on to say that I should find someone to partner with in order to get two people in one vehicle. I wrote back and asked them point-blank if there are not hiring single people. They confirmed that I'm right. I asked if two single people could share one campsite with two vehicles. They replied that the campgrounds will not allow them to double up. I then asked if a single person could reduce their needs, like electricity, water, etc. and thereby increase their chances of getting hired. They replied and said, no, not at this time. They have since then stopped replying.

At one point in all the text, they mentioned that they have had an exponential increase of applications from single workers this year. They did say that they're looking for more campground space, but it didn't sound very probable. This sounds like a very large change and whether or not the Harvest is likely employment for quite a few people.

Does anybody else know anything about this?

Have any single people, in their own vehicle, been hired so far?

Tom