Sugar Beet Harvest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and Vic worked the harvest in N.D.a couple of years ago.They didn't care if you slept in a ditch as long as you showed up for work.Several couples were living in vans.One couple lived in an old school us with a goat.I think they would have hired the goat,if it could shovel beets.People were coming and going during the whole season.(This post is under surveillance and may not reach the forum)

Bob Dickerson said:
Me and Vic worked the harvest in N.D.a couple of years ago.They didn't care if you slept in a ditch as long as you showed up for work.Several couples were living in vans.One couple lived in an old school us with a goat.I think they would have hired the goat,if it could shovel beets.People were coming and going during the whole season.(This post is under surveillance and may not reach the forum)

Bob Wells seems to think that things aren't changing, and I take what you say at face value, but that's not my documented experience as a first-time investigator of it this year. The theme of my first post was that things have changed. How much? I don't know, but enough to be noticeable.

Tom

Vagabound said:
I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this.

After applying to the Sugar Beet Harvest about a week ago, I got a reply. The standard thank you for your application and we hope you'll join us, etc. However, after that I received the second email. That email said that I appear to be a solo worker, meaning one person in a vehicle. It went on to say that I should find someone to partner with in order to get two people in one vehicle. I wrote back and asked them point-blank if there are not hiring single people. They confirmed that I'm right. I asked if two single people could share one campsite with two vehicles. They replied that the campgrounds will not allow them to double up. I then asked if a single person could reduce their needs, like electricity, water, etc. and thereby increase their chances of getting hired. They replied and said, no, not at this time. They have since then stopped replying.

At one point in all the text, they mentioned that they have had an exponential increase of applications from single workers this year. They did say that they're looking for more campground space, but it didn't sound very probable. This sounds like a very large change and whether or not the Harvest is likely employment for quite a few people.

Does anybody else know anything about this?

Have any single people, in their own vehicle, been hired so far?

Tom

As mentioned above I am single and have been hired on. I did apply way back in January though so that might have made a difference. Again, did you apply for the eastern or western NoDak area? I'd be willing to "co-habit" with someone if they need that in exchange for helping me with my dogs.

DuneElliot said:
As mentioned above I am single and have been hired on. I did apply way back in January though so that might have made a difference. Again, did you apply for the eastern or western NoDak area? I'd be willing to "co-habit" with someone if they need that in exchange for helping me with my dogs.

I feel like I answered that question above somewhere, but my memory ain't what it used to be, so maybe I'm wrong. It was Eastern North Dakota and Western Minnesota.

Doubling up for help with dogs sounds interesting. Since getting their note about not hiring single campers, I've been giving it more thought. Have not decided to do it or not, but I did have more time to notice that, for me, just going to the job site in ND and coming back to NV would cost about $1,000. That put a bit of a damper on it.

Tom

Vagabound said:
I feel like I answered that question above somewhere, but my memory ain't what it used to be, so maybe I'm wrong. It was Eastern North Dakota and Western Minnesota.

Doubling up for help with dogs sounds interesting. Since getting their note about not hiring single campers, I've been giving it more thought. Have not decided to do it or not, but I did have more time to notice that, for me, just going to the job site in ND and coming back to NV would cost about $1,000. That put a bit of a damper on it.

Tom

Sorry, wasn't sure who had answered re. which location.

With "double occupancy" the western NoDak would be open which I would prefer since it would be less distance for me to travel. I'm still doubting whether I'll do the harvest if I have to go to eastern NoDak but I am keeping my options open.

DuneElliot said:
Sorry, wasn't sure who had answered re. which location.

With "double occupancy" the western NoDak would be open which I would prefer since it would be less distance for me to travel. I'm still doubting whether I'll do the harvest if I have to go to eastern NoDak but I am keeping my options open.

If I were to do it, within current limitations, I'd prefer western NoDak as well for the same reason. 

The application didn't really give any opportunities to explain or provide more details. As I recall, there was not even a choice to choose "all locations". So I made a choice that I knew was not Montana, (because I had already been told that it was impossible for single people), assuming that downstream somewhere there would be some kind of intelligent conversation that would allow me to provide more details and say that I was open to other locations. So far, that hasn't happened.

Tom

I'm no expert on the beet harvest so I can't tell you whether things are changing or not. All I can tell you is that I know several single workers who worked their in the past. I have no idea if that has changed.

I can also tell you for sure that things vary by state. What is true in one state may be totally different in another

DuneElliot said:
I'd be willing to "co-habit" with someone if they need that in exchange for helping me with my dogs.

Great idea.

Should I come into this situation where they are not taking on single people, I'll look for a solo-traveler with a dog. We can work opposite shifts, to watch after one another pup(s).

Vagabound said:
Bob Wells seems to think that things aren't changing, and I take what you say at face value, but that's not my documented experience as a first-time investigator of it this year. The theme of my first post was that things have changed. How much? I don't know, but enough to be noticeable.

Tom

I read somewhere that last year they ended up with a waiting list of people who wanted to work.

I wonder if the Beet Harvest Powers That Be would have a problem with a "couple" that have 2 vehicles?  One is the "home" and the other "transportation".  Many 2 income familes have 2 or 3 vehicles.  Might especially work if one is a larger vehicle like a full size van or larger and the other a car or mini van.  My Papa said "there is more than one way to skin a cat".  When I was very young I worried about those kitty cats :s

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
I wonder if the Beet Harvest Powers That Be would have a problem with a "couple" that have 2 vehicles?  One is the "home" and the other "transportation".  Many 2 income familes have 2 or 3 vehicles.  Might especially work if one is a larger vehicle like a full size van or larger and the other a car or mini van.  My Papa said "there is more than one way to skin a cat".  When I was very young I worried about those kitty cats :s

Jewellann

Already covered that point. Got an answer from the sugar beet recruiters and included the gist of it in my original post. They said that the campground management won't allow them to put two vehicles on one campsite.

Tom

Never did the beet harvest, don't know anything about it. So my advice is just a bunch of BS. 

What "I" would do is wait a couple days or a week after it starts and re-contact the recruiters to see if they need any last minute workers to replace people that just up and quit because it was harder than they expected.

dextours said:
Never did the beet harvest, don't know anything about it. So my advice is just a bunch of BS. 

What "I" would do is wait a couple days or a week after it starts and re-contact the recruiters to see if they need any last minute workers to replace people that just up and quit because it was harder than they expected.

Normally, I'd agree.  In this case, that might not be practical for two reasons.  One, someone mentioned in this thread that last year there was a waiting list by the time the harvest started.  Might be true, might be rumor.  However, the second reason is real -- you'd have to be there already to take advantage of a last minute opening.  As in, in North Dakota, etc.  Not many people, I'd imagine, would already be waiting there just in case.  Long way to drive for "sorry, we've filled the openings".

Tom

Goes back to the age old rule about supply and demand. The more people that want a position, the more demanding the company can be. From a business standpoint if two people share a campsite, the business is saving 50% on their housing costs. I bet the savings is not passed down to the workers.

So got a mail today saying (1): the eastern montana harvest is full and (2) they do not allow "sleeping in vehicles" and require self-contained RVs. Not sure what the deal is with that as I know I've seen several folks in a van on YT and stuff. Anyway just thought I would pass the info along. My single status was not mentioned as a problem.

muddy said:
So got a mail today saying (1): the eastern montana harvest is full and (2) they do not allow "sleeping in vehicles" and require self-contained RVs. Not sure what the deal is with that as I know I've seen several folks in a van on YT and stuff. Anyway just thought I would pass the info along. My single status was not mentioned as a problem.

Well I hope that's not true. I am single and planning on the Sugar Beet Harvest then Amazon in KY. I told both of them I am coming in an SUV and all they told me was have a bed, stove top, sink and portable toilet. My only concern is will my old Jeep make the trip ::)  (95 Grand Cherokee)

I'm still technically signed up for the job but doubt I'm going to make it; get on a waiting list and I'm sure I'll not be the only one to cancel.

muddy said:

Well Damn! After them (Express)  telling me everything was cool with me in an SUV for Beet Harvest I get an email 2 weeks later yesterday saying I cant. You need a Class B Van or better. I already spent time and money getting ready to go. This really bums me out as it was to be my first step into the  workcamping lifestyle. Now all I have is Amazon in November lined up. I need to work so I can save up and buy a Van and get going and learn the ropes. Plus I am single which sees to be a negative.

Any suggestions on where to look for work in my situation or should I start a new thread? Thank you.

Will Amazon let you come earlier?  Maybe at a different location.