Stuck Here!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
Thunderstorms took out the main road and the better of the two alternates, the towed will get in and out on the second side trail/road, but RV is fixed in place for about a week from the sound of it.  Still have water and after about six hours power is back, cable is still working, so life isn't bad.  Seems like a good time to review preps and procedures for bad times.

Water tank, full.  Water Filter system, clean and ready to use.

Main propane tank full, aux tank hooked up and working, about half of the 20lbs tank.

GPS maps upto date(used to navigate and find alternative routes)

Food stores, not good!  I've used stuff I like and let stuff I don't like accumulate to too high a percentage of the standby stores. I have enough food that I'm not at risk, but to much is stuff that I's rather not have to eat.  Easy thing to do is just shuffle yucky stuff into storage and not think about having to use it.

You have to use what nature gives you and this case it's a nice little wakeup call.

Corky

I'm going to add more cheap work gloves and more rope to my stores.  I plan to park the Tracker on the good side of the major washout and walk to and from it, using rope to get up and down the washout, gloves make climbing easier and cleaner.

Nothing like a safe test run!

Corky

One thing I learned about food, even though I rotate it frequently, is to keep only the stuff I'll actually enjoy. That way I have a month of normal life if a disaster happens, to figure out what my next move is. If it takes longer than a month for food to become available again, life as we know it is probably gone for good anyway.

What's a month worth of food for a single guy look like?  (4 cases of beer nuts and...)
Since I don't have a fridg and the cooler block ice is melted in about 4 days, I'd be living on dry soups and whatever is found in cans and or boxes.  Freeze dried is too expensive for me to keep a big stock of, fruits and vegetables have a limited shelf life, especially the tastier things.  I guess onions and spuds would go a month.   :rolleyes:

If I was camped up somewhere and the roads were washed out or a bridge got damaged, I'd last on my limited stored food maybe 2 weeks.  (With sufficient water I'd last about a year on stored fat.).   :p

It's fresh water which people need to survive long periods with, that's my hardest thing to find if I'm out in the desert somewhere.  Water filtration tablets or the new survival or camping water purifying gizmos can be found on Amazon.

Great thing that you aren't in any immediate serious danger so you can review your "prepper style" equipment.

I'm not in any danger, just some mild inconvenience.

Have you looked at solar water stills and how to use a still to extract water from plant material?  A shovel, a plastic bag of a larger size and a clean can are all you need to start.  You can upgrade from those very basic parts, to a fairly nice, compact setup for very little money.  I can average better than a gallon a day with about three hours work, not wonderful, but better than thirsty.

Corky

Freeze dried emergency supplies are not expensive if you buy them in #10 cans. Buy a few for variety. We bought a six pack of six different ones, including one that is all beef, so it can be added to other things to make a meal. They run $30-40 per can depending on what is in them. $2 per serving isn't bad, and they don't take up a lot of space or weigh much.

corky52 said:
Thunderstorms took out the main road and the better of the two alternates, the towed will get in and out on the second side trail/road, but RV is fixed in place for about a week from the sound of it.  Still have water and after about six hours power is back, cable is still working, so life isn't bad.  Seems like a good time to review preps and procedures for bad times.
You have to use what nature gives you and this case it's a nice little wakeup call.
Corky

Think on the bright side. Most of us need to lose a few pounds, and you will.

gcal,
I'm just going to have to plan better before I shop.  I'm also planning better on what's being stored, have gotten sloppy and this was a wake-up call.  Much of the stuff I've let get into storage is to high in salt and very fattening, will be changing that.

I've also realized the need to add some things, flavoring for water being first among them and powdered milk being the second, liquids weigh a ton and are had to carry for any distance, eight plus pounds per gallon.

Corky

Here ya go Corky, all in one bucket that you can sit on too!!

Honeyville (company name) freeze dried Survival Food possibilities:

Legacy Premium Mega Sample Pack:  
Legacy Premium Cheese Broccoli  Legacy Premium Banana Chips  Legacy Premium Apple Drink Legacy Premium Oatmeal  Legacy Premium Pancakes  Legacy Premium Corn  Legacy Premium Coffee Legacy Premium Classic Chili  Legacy Premium Pasta Marinara
Legacy Mega Sample Bucket - 41,600 Calories

With just over 40,000 calories enclosed in this 183 serving bucket, you'll find what you're looking for to meet your emergency preparedness needs.
$325.00

Wt: 31.00 lb Item # 007-378-0021 plus $4.99 Flat Rate Ground Shipping

The Legacy Foods Mega Sample Bucket makes choosing an emergency food storage kit for your particular needs a breeze. This easy to store bucket is stocked with a total of 183 non-GMO servings, which include 4 breakfast varieties; 19 different entrees; an assortment of 6 side dishes; and 5 beverage choices. You’ll also be happy to know that, on average, each serving contains roughly 227 calories. This bucket is composed of delicious emergency food that’s non-GMO, Vegetarian and contains no MSG or trans-fat. When it comes time to select which you would like to add to your own customized emergency food kit, you won’t know where to begin; there’s just so much to choose from! You’ll feel more secure about your emergency preparedness because you had a hand in picking what best suits your needs.

Each 183 Serving Mega Sample Bucket consists of 41,600 calories and contains the following:

Breakfast:
4 servings of Multi-Grain Cereal (1,640 calories total, 410 calories per serving)
4 servings of Old-Fashioned Pancake Mix (1,400 calories total, 350 calories per serving)
4 servings of Oatmeal with Brown Sugar (2,080 calories total, 520 calories per serving)
4 servings of Strawberry Creamy Wheat (1,800 calories total, 450 calories per serving)
Sides:
4 servings of Banana Chips (1,240 calories total, 310 calories per serving)
4 servings of Parboiled Rice (1,480 calories total, 370 calories per serving)
4 servings of Refried Beans (1,160 calories total, 290 calories per serving)
4 servings of Corn (560 calories total, 140 calories per serving)
4 servings of Mango Dices (600 calories total, 150 calories per serving)
4 servings of Instant Mashed Potatoes (1,040 calories total, 260 calories per serving)
Drinks:
35 servings of Medium Roast Ground Coffee
8 servings of Apple Drink Mix (800 calories total, 100 calories per serving)
8 servings of Chocolate Milk (1,040 calories total, 130 calories per serving)
8 servings of Orange Drink Mix (800 calories total, 100 calories per serving)
8 cups of USDA Grade “A” Powdered Milk (720 calories total, 90 calories per serving)
Entrees:
4 servings of Cheese and Broccoli Soup Mix (1,120 calories total, 280 calories per serving)
4 servings of Cheesy Potato Soup Mix (1,200 calories total, 300 calories per serving)
4 servings of Chili Mac (1,400 calories total, 350 calories per serving)
4 servings of Classic Chili Mix (1,200 calories total, 300 calories per serving)
4 servings of Creamy a la King (1,480 calories total, 370 calories per serving)
4 servings of Creamy Potato Soup Mix (1,400 calories total, 350 calories per serving)
4 servings of Creamy Vegetable and Rice Soup Mix (1,120 calories total, 280 calories per serving)
4 servings of Enchilada, Beans and Rice (1,360 calories total, 340 calories per serving)
4 servings of Hawaiian Style Sweet ‘n’ Sour (1,160 calories total, 290 calories per serving)
4 servings of Italian Pasta with Marinara (1,200 calories total, 300 calories per serving)
4 servings of Loaded Baked Potato (1,560 calories total, 390 calories per serving)
4 servings of Macaroni and Cheese (1,680 calories total, 420 calories per serving)
4 servings of Pasta Alfredo (1,600 calories total, 400 calories per serving)
4 servings of Pasta Primavera (1,680 calories total, 420 calories per serving)
4 servings of Southwestern Soup Mix (880 calories total, 220 calories per serving)
4 servings of Stroganoff (1,280 calories total, 320 calories per serving)
4 servings of Spicy Corn Chowder Soup Mix (1,120 calories total, 280 calories per serving)
4 servings of Vegetable Rotini Pasta (1,520 calories total, 380 calories per serving)
4 servings of White Bean Chili Mix (1,280 calories total, 320 calories per serving)
Shelf Life: 25 years in original sealed container in a cool, dry place.

Uses: Emergency preparedness, long-term storage, camping, hiking, or a quick meal.

Packaging: The emergency food comes in a sealed and durable white bucket. Inside, the meals are sealed in nitrogen flushed Mylar pouches that also contain oxygen absorbers.

Allergen Information: This product contains wheat, milk, and soy.

Country of Origin: United States of America.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB
Glad to see you're mostly prepared for this.

I purchased one of these for $80 a while back, 6 gallon sealed bucket that doesn't take up that much space. It's 30 or 45 (depending on the meal plan) days of "food".
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-30-Day-Emergency-Pail/20532432

Maybe I'll upgrade to a more high quality emergency solution in the future, but for now I think emergency food is adequately covered and this saves enough space.

It isn't just about the food, it's as much or more about tools and supplies.  I found that what I thought was more than enough rope, was just barely adequate, and might not have been enough in other circumstances.  The three pair of work gloves I usually carry should have been at least five pair.

I found a big tool bag I just happened to have to be a real life saver to haul tools and gear around that weren't comfortable in a backpack.  When I found the shoulder strap for it stuck in the bottom, it became even more useful and easier to use.  I also found that I need a couple more long saw blades for the sawsall and a spare blade for or a spare bow saw would be a good idea.  I also think few extra cheap machetes, with extra oil and a spare stone would cost little, take only a little space and be very handy.

Corky

Since you say your towed vehicle can make it in and out okay, you're in no danger of starving, just go to town for supplies. 
I keep a case of MRE entrees for emergencies/camping/hunting, as well as many packets of Mountain House meals.  I keep a good stock of canned food too.  Any canned food can be eaten directly from the can, no cooking or heating really necessary, though heating does improve flavor and texture.
At home in my S&B, I also keep stocks of rice, beans of various types, etc.
I have been running on the fringe of the Prepper movement for many years.  Were I to be FTing in the van, I'd have to reduce my stocks quite a bit.  At home I keep about two months of stored water on hand, but that wouldn't work in the van.  But I do have a couple good water filters handy, so any body of water provides a supply.   You can also get a sea water purification system used by boaters, but that gets spendy.
Since I generally am towing my utility trailer (with KLR650 inside), I do have extra room for some supplies that won't fit in the van.

Lee,
I'm no danger, it's just the unexpected rearing it's head and making me think.  Torrential downpours from nasty thunderstorms aren't exactly normal in mid-summer Southern California.    The rapid change of circumstance just brought some experiences I thought worth posting.

Corky

You can get machetes that have a saw blade on the back, I really like these. Add a good bow saw, a cable saw, and an axe and you're fairly well prepared.

I tend to lean towards non powered tools, just because they'll work when nothing else does. If I need some power tool for something, I will usually just rent one if I can't get free use of one somewhere.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Belinda2,[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks, I'm fine, storm was really kind of cool, only lost power for a bit, roads took a real beating and lots of downed/blown apart oak trees.  RV stayed nice and dry inside and I had all the outside stuff stowed.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Main road ( a county gravel road) had a culvert plug and the resulting overflow dug a six foot deep washout, have to wait for it to be fixed before I could move RV if I wanted to.  I can travel in and out in my Tracker over trail/roads just takes longer, a lot longer.  County says it will be a couple of weeks at a minimum to repair the main road.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]OG, [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I plan to shop for the machetes shortly. I have a bow saw, but thought I might bust the blade a couple of times when I was using it, think a spare saw and a couple of spare blades might be a good idea.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Corky[/font]

I tend to think of sawback machetes as a gimmick rather than a serious tool.  I say that because all the ones, I've seen, the teeth are all straight, and not "set" to one side or the other the way REAL saw blades are, and that makes a serious difference as to how well and fast a saw can cut wood.  I wonder if a saw sharpening place even COULD set and sharpen the teeth on one of these?  If they could, I would definitely have it done.

Understand, I'm not questioning the usefulness of a machete itself, I own a nice one and they are great.  I'm only questioning the sawtooth feature.

Regards
John

corky glad you are ok. as far as freeze dried food goes, lets face it no matter how cheap you can get it, it's still expensive. I do use freeze dried food sparingly. mountain house is good but pricey, I mean 50 bucks for not even 2lbs of ground beef. I use the honeyville farms stuff that dusty posted about, but just a few items. I also keep mre's for emergency use. what I try to do is to buy my freeze dried foods from the regular store. potato flakes and milk are good examples, parboiled rice is another. I also always keep at least a case of canned milk, it's great for cooking. speaking of cans I always keep a good supply of canned vegies, chili, salsa. I also keep a supply of dried beans and peas. some fresh foods like onions and garlic last a long time. this is not my whole list but it gives you an idea. highdesertranger

HDR,
Food is only a problem in the sense that I've used the good stuff and let the yuck stuff accumulate in storage.  I usually shop once a week even though I carry a month's plus food in the rig, over time I've let the stuff I've bought two of, tried one and didn't like it, so the second goes to deep storage and a "goody" gets pulled out and used.  Over a period of time the storage got loaded with yuck stuff, edible but not preferred!

Main thing I wanted to bring up is that things can change in an instant, even though not life threatening, a major inconvenience!  Lots of things we have and don't use often are not what we think they are or are less than we expect to use.

Corky

"I use the honeyville farms "
After the tin is opened, how do you keep the remaining contents dry and safe?
"2 #10 cans of Honeyville Freeze Dried Ground Beef
each can has 23 ½ cup servings with 110 calories per serving - 3 pounds "
I might eat 1-3 servings a day.
I haven't seen anything on their site that gives that information. These are cans that need a can opener.
What do you do with the remainder.
How do the other brands compare--Linden Farms, Legacy, Augason Farms, etc?

Latest posts