stranded/not enough cash for repairs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
that's a very good point that TJBird made if you can do he repairs yourself they cost a fraction of what a shop word cost.  a small fraction.  what type of repairs does your van need?   highdesertranger

see attached file and my reply to TJB.

thats just what he found in a quick 30 minute diagnosis. the parking brake also doesnt work, wipers dont function, no ac, windows dont roll down, needs new starter, etc.

Attachments

• 20160806_170724.jpg
    20160806_170724.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 54
You might want to considerr replacing the van.  It's a 95 chevy astro that needs 1000- 2000 in repairs.  Maybe you need to get a job and a cheap place to live for awhile.

I guess I see what you're getting at. With a 20+ yr old van that sounds to be in need of everything from basic maintenance to wear components reaching end of life, no ability to DIY repairs, no funds to pay for repairs, and limited if any prospects for even subsistence income...it sounds like you're looking for what could possibly be a final resting place for the vehicle. One that will allow you to continue living in it for as long as possible.

I don't mean this to sound negative, as I certainly don't know all the details of your situation, but perhaps one of the top criteria in destination selection could be the availability and quality of social services should you find yourself in need of them. As someone said, heading north and having to survive winter in a van without resources, and potentially without a van that even is operational, just doesn't sound like a good plan.

When there doesn't appear to be any good answers to a problem, try changing the question and see if things fit a bit differently. Best of luck :)

That needs 1K in parts alone.  Not counting labor.  

I understand where you are coming from.  I spent many months working in a fog, because if I stopped, my kids would starve.  I have rebuilt my van motor in the desert once, and I am doing it again in front of my apartment on the weekend~~~ Just so the landlord does not see it.   After this is done, I know I will crash hard, sleep for a week.  

Somehow you get the strength to do what is needed.  

There are plenty of McJobs out there.  Even WalMart has door greeters that just sit and say "Hi" ans point the way to the restrooms.  Any job is better than no job when you are in need.

yep some serious neglect there if it truly needs all that work. what area are you in? maybe someone here could help with the labor. the priority here is the brakes, next the idler and pitman arms, next the radiator, next the wipers the actual motor mounts can wait but the trans mount should be done. highdesertranger

I apologize for my original response, didn't realize you had some health issues. I can relate to those all to well. And your vehicle is having some health issues of it's own. Hopefully things will start looking up for you one way or another. When I applied for disability I was approved in 5 months. I don't know why or how I got approved so quick, so maybe you will too. One thing I will say though, is start the paperwork as soon as possible, the sooner you file it the sooner you can start getting it.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Not in the dead of winter you don't.

Trying to live in a van with serious health issues through a Montana winter is a recipe for disaster.

would agree with you here also.
I was referring more to the end of summer-beginning/mid fall

highdesertranger said:
yep some serious neglect there if it truly needs all that work.  what area are you in?  maybe someone here could help with the labor.  the priority here is the brakes,  next the idler and pitman arms,   next the radiator,  next the wipers  the actual motor mounts can wait but the trans mount should be done.  highdesertranger

sounds like you know yout stuff

Im in SoCal, San Diego County

Stay where you are... don't drive in the rain, wtf what am I saying????. just hard for me being a street mechanic to wrap my brains around buying a car and not being able to work on said vehicle . You gotta pay to play and not to late to start or perhaps it is? Rethink this. Adrian

You might try Seattle.  They have a pretty big safety net for people in your situation and the weather is milder than Montana.

stay in so cal for the winter and fix van or i would upgrade to a full sized van,get everything in order and set off next spring

I accidentally gave a thanks to IGBT. Seattle is one of the most expensive places you can live. While it is true that there are safety nets, the demand right now far outweighs the supply.

Can you ride a bike? If so I'd get to Flagstaff AZ and buy bike and tent, You can camp within 5 miles of town and they have a good safety net. Set up camp in the woods so the Rangers don't find you, ride into town for supplies. When it starts to get too cold, take a train or bus to Quatzsite, where they also have a very good safety net. Spend the winter there. Set up camp off road in the desert so Rangers don't see you. When it gets too hot, take the train or bus back to Flagstaff. Repeat

I have a friend who does exactly this.
Bob

mockturtle said:
 Seattle is one of the most expensive places you can live.  While it is true that there are safety nets, the demand right now far outweighs the supply.

How many other cities set up free secure RV parking for homeless?  Seattle is expensive if you have money, but if you are broke it is pretty cheap.

mockturtle said:
And it always amazes me that they get stranded with a large piece of cardboard and a marking pen!  How convenient.

With some, road side begging IS their job. Especially when we were wintering in Tucson, we would see the same guys (and a few gals) at the same corners day after week after month. Not sure how much they make, but we saw one guy drive away one evening in a very new model bright red Ram 4x4 truck. But, maybe a friend loaned it to him. Meanwhile, Home Depot and Walmart were advertising for workers, the temp agencies had ads out, and when I called one to see if they were interested in my bookkeeping skills, they were.

Don't know if that's possible. Medical problems and skills are individual, not general. DH and I possess skills that would get us decent paychecks even if we were in wheelchairs, but a surgical nurse or an electrician would have a hard time with that same disability. If you can, get some skills. A temporary unskilled job or living off depleting savings, with the vague hope of getting on disability, is not what I would want to have to depend on. Yes, get the temp job. Apply for the disability. But also find a skill that you can do while sitting quietly (even parttime) at a computer and get paid for it, and learn to do it.

Above post was reply to enginewitty's thought that the thread could be general and could benefit everyone. Don't know why enginwitty's post was not included.

enginewitty said:
Have any of you ever been in this situation?
if so, what did you do to get back on level ground?
if not, what non-financial strategies are you using to keep yourself safe and out ahead off this?

I was unable to set up things well enough in advance before jumpig into this lifestyle and my van needs a lot of immediate lovin

do I roadtrip anyway?

Hi Andy,
1. Yes I have been in this situation when everything fell apart at once - divorce, job loss, loss of home.
2. I enrolled in college using education and work grants and  applied for basic assistance as you have (food stamps) to see me through for a couple months until the paychecks rolled in. I worked three part time jobs, gave dance lessons on weekends and studied my ass off so I could apply for scholarships. I slept in a van at the beach, showered at the school, studied at the library and at an all night coffee shop.
3. I live(d) very frugally and save(d) money, even if it's only a few dollars kept in a jar, it is something that grows over time and gives you a cushion.
4, I worked on my vehicles whenever possible becasue I didn't have $ to pay someone else.

One piece of advice and not, I repeat NOT to sound harsh or anything, but I've never used an illness or personal mishap as a weapon against myself or an excuse to not do what needs to be done to improve a situation.  When push comes to shove you WILL find a way through anything if you are serious about wanting to. Just learn to hold your horses a bit and be methodical in problem solving ie don't put yourself in a risky situation, because you already are.

I suggest you first of all start learning how to work on your van.  Even I can do things like hoses, fuel filter,  and wiper blades. These are quick and inexpensive if you do it yourself.  I dropped and replaced the transmission in my van (bought a used one at a junkyard) learning by asking (no internet at the time). I think you could handle replacing the broken window mechanism. I did for my Geo. The window wiper motor is not hard either. I did that as well in the Geo when the blades froze in ice on the windshield when I used water to make the snow go away and broke it.  :blush:

Just stand up, find a job(s) and start fixing stuff.  Yes it is frightening, yes it takes time, but it is also empowering and exhilarating and you will find you get more energy from little successes over time.  Also make sure, and this is most important, that you are eating well ie lots of nourishing fruits and veg, juices, no processed foods at all and you will find your chronic fatigue fading away.  I think it is associated with depression, at least the two seem to go together many times.
To me that serpentine belt is really important as it can mess up a lot of other things if it breaks.

I wish you only the the best of success in pursuing your dreams. You can do it. :)

IGBT said:
How many other cities set up free secure RV parking for homeless?  Seattle is expensive if you have money, but if you are broke it is pretty cheap.

The plan was to keep RV dwellers out of residential neighborhoods by providing 'safe lots'  but the lots have proved to be very expensive for the city [Ballard, I think, is the only lot]--over $1750/month per vehicle.  Plans for additional lots have been scrapped, AFAIK.