Straight Talk Blocked Hotspot Usage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerD

Reaction score
I've had Straight Talk (Verizon) for 8 months and never had a problem using my phone (LG stylo 3) as a hotspot until now.

I went to use it the other day and could turn the hotspot on and connect my laptop to it, but my laptop had no internet.

I called support and they said you can't use it as a hotspot.

Anyone else have Straight Talk and experiencing the same thing?

Here is a youtube video explaining your situation. It just took a while for them to get around to catching your being in violation of your contract.

What plan were you on and what kind of monthly data usage? I keep my data usage under 60GB\monthly, hoping that keeps me under the radar.

I had the same problem on Verizon. I started using an app called Foxfi and it got through the block. I just use it through USB but I think there is a wifi option.

I installed PdaNet app on my phone which has a WIFI hotspot function (as well as USB/Bluetooth) and I still had the same problem. I could connect the phone to the hotspot but had no internet.

I just found out you have to also install PdaNet app on your computer and use it to connect to the phone hotspot.

Obviously, the combination somehow fools the phone into thinking you are using an app on the phone instead of a hotspot.

Works perfectly.  I'm actually using it to make this post.

PdaNet is in the google play store and the app to install on a computer can be downloaded at http://pdanet.co/install

Straight talk did this to me as well!!! I'm glad you posted this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My LG Stylo 3 factory hotspot still works, however I've been careful to never exceed the 60 GB limit.

AJ452 said:
My LG Stylo 3 factory hotspot still works, however I've been careful to never exceed the 60 GB limit.

In the last 8 months, the most I have ever used in any single month was maybe 30 GB. Last month I used like 6 GB.

I have an unlimited hotspot (ATT) and average about 170 GB per month with it. 

Straight Talk (Verizon) is just for my phone and a backup hotspot.

That stinks eh? I have read about others getting their data cut off until the next billing cycle, and I have heard about people just having their account cancelled, but haven't read anything about them being able to kill the hotspot on your phone. My ST phone came with the hotspot enabled.

Must be a Straight Talk thing, not Verizon.

I am on the Verizon unlimited plan for my iPhone. My contract says that they may throttle me if my usage exceeds (I think) 20gb in a month, but they won't cut me off. I've been doing this for nearly a year, and never been throttled, although I routinely use more than 20gb in a month.

As others stated use PDANet or Foxfi, make sure the app is installed on your laptop as well as the phone.  You can use USB or Direct wifi, it will create a proxy on your phone and route all traffic through the app.  This way its impossible for the carrier to know you are tethering, here is a screen shot of my current data usage.   I'm limited to 10gb/month with the android hotspot but you can see I have already used almost 20GB of data using the PDANet app for my hotspot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190325-165025.png
    Screenshot_20190325-165025.png
    81 KB · Views: 20
i find it ironic that people whine and complain about a company enforcing the rules that they agreed to in their contract. just because you didnt get caught in the past doesnt mean you are entitled to continue breaking their rules. if you dont like their rules then dont support the company by continuing to pay them each month. vote with you wallet rather than skirt the issues. while i agree that data should be data and how i use it is up to me (non-commercially speaking) i also feel that lurking in the darkness sneaking around and using apps to break the rules does not help. sure you might get away with it for a while but why not vote with your wallet. call up cancel your service and tell them why. then patronize a vendor that will provide the service you want. in the long run it make for a better world. if you cheat a company out of their profits, you have no basis to complain when someone cheats you...

I want to add that PDA.net/FoxFi is not hiding your tethering like you think. More than once I have read of someone getting warnings or even losing a account along with their number while using it.

Am on Verizon 55+ plan specifically because did not want to run into this issue. $85 a month with taxes for two iPhones on full unlimited.

Yes you need to be 55 or older. And live in Florida or two other states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk