Newbie Seeking Internet Access Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReinventingMyself

Reaction score
I am a retired (non-digital native) with a limited income preparing to move into my Honda Element and am searching for the easiest, most reliable, and most economical option to remain connected to the internet on my journeys. I am exploring Visible and Verizon Mifi, but, in the middle of the 4G - 5G transition the choice is confusing. Currently my mobile service is Consumer Cellular, I have a Motorola G5+ phone, and my IP is Century Link. I wonder if turning my phone into a hotspot for a while is workable...or if I should go with Visible or MiFi. If I choose Visible, I would need to get a new phone. Would a 4G be prudent or is it more sensible to get 5G. I use the internet as an info source, for shopping and bill paying, and for watching Youtube videos. I am not a gamer or a streamer at this time. Hearing your advice based on your own experiences would be immensely helpful.

I've been using Visible for a year now and have been happy with it. Before that I used a mifi with StraightTalk which sometimes woud cost me $60-70/mo. because I would go over the 5gb data limit. Visible is just $40/mo. and could be even cheaper if I went with the party pay. I bought the basic ZTE A3 Blade phone ($50) and use it mostly as a hotspot with a tablet or laptop. It can be tethered with a USB cable which is a good idea for security. It gets a lot of use just by itself though for Google Maps,etc. and of course as a phone. The screen is pretty small, so it's only used when I need to check something quickly. It does not do screen mirroring though so it can't be used for videos on a TV. You need a more expensive phone like the A7 or better. I do watch YT,etc. on the laptop and usually it's OK but it just depends on the signal strength where I happen to be.

I have a Verizon plan for my iphone which includes a personal hot spot. Works fine, except under two circumstances -
1) on the outer limits of the tower's reach
2) when bajillions of people are trying to use the tower
In which case, I go for a walk or knit, and try again later. Most of us really don't need to be on the internet 24/7. We just think we do.

Reactions: Sky
I second the Visible solution. 40 bucks a month and unlimited data. You can create one hotspot. This has been working great for me. Visible uses the Verizon network so anywhere you get good Verizon, the Visible works.

Why pay $40 for Visible.... It's real easy to get it for $25 a month with Party Pay.

I second the Visible solution. 40 bucks a month and unlimited data. You can create one hotspot. This has been working great for me. Visible uses the Verizon network so anywhere you get good Verizon, the Visible works.
I know you can have only one hotspot, but I extend that by hotspotting to my router that way I can have both my laptop and my TV connected at the same time. I watch a prime video on the TV while surfing the net.

I have Consumer Cellular too (❤️ them!). I used my phone as a hotspot for a couple of months and it worked out well. Their customer service did a great job of talking me through what was needed, how to estimate my data needs, etc., and the hotspot was super easy to turn on and off.

One great thing about them is that if you exceed your data plan, there’s no penalty fee, they just bump you up to the next highest plan. When you want to drop back down to a cheaper plan, that’s easy to do, too. So it’s relatively risk-free to experiment.

(The only reason I’m not using this arrangement permanently is that I’m still sticks-and-bricks living and like to be able to stream all I want while still having a fast connection for work... couldn't risk the work connection in case I got "throttled" at the end of the month for over-indulging in YouTube.)

From your description of your online activity, the only thing likely to eat up a lot of data is YouTube. Any chance you might be able to use a separate, cheaper device — one NOT connected to any activity that requires privacy, so it wouldn’t be the end of the world if it got hacked — just for streaming free videos, which you could then pick up at a library, McDonald’s, or the like?

I’d definitely recommend talking to Consumer Cellular to see if what they offer fits your circumstances.

PS
I have to admit, though, that this Visible thing sounds great. Do they have truly unlimited data (they don’t throttle after you reach a certain amount)?

We have found during our travels across the country that the more cellular networks you have access to, the better.

My husband has a $25/month Visible party plan that uses CDMA network (over Verizon towers) and I have GSM TracFone (over AT&T towers), with the cheapest plan, $17.99 plan every 3 months that gives very little minutes/data but is used only when we have no Verizon signal. I then purchase any extra data ($10/ 1GB) when needed, but I make it a point not to watch videos on the Tracfone.

We use the Visible phone as a hotspot very frequently and have been happy with the performance. On a rare occasion, it is very slow probably due to a crowded network.

We travel a lot in remote areas so have found many, many times that we have needed one or the other because only network ran in the area. On occasion, TMobile towers were the only available so if you can find a cheap plan with them also to use for emergencies then you'd really be covered.

Last edited:
I am exploring Visible and Verizon Mifi, but, in the middle of the 4G - 5G transition the choice is confusing. . Would a 4G be prudent or is it more sensible to get 5G.
5G is far from everywhere so for the next several years at least I'm staying with 4G equipment. 5G cells are backward compatable though so don't fret if you have one.
I use a mobile hotspot w/ 50gig of data before throttling, a smart cell and a chromebook. All have their own cell # through verizon.
If I were to drop all of the above I'd try visable with their party plan for $25 a month and see how that works in the area I travel. (Eastern part of the US).
For now I need speed and data so my setup works in my S&B and for travel.
I believe it's worth trying different plans on a no contract basis and see what works for you.

just my ol 2¢

I know you can have only one hotspot, but I extend that by hotspotting to my router that way I can have both my laptop and my TV connected at the same time. I watch a prime video on the TV while surfing the net.
My Visible connection would not allow waching vids and surfing the net at the same time. Just to say that in some locations the service can slow down big time.

You can easily solve the Hotspot problem if your phones allow "FoxFi".
Free Version and $7.99 for full version.

I have 2 unlimited services with US Mobile (Verizon Network) ... It throttles at 75GB each. $30 each line with 2 lines on Family 👪 Plan
No need for Hotspot FoxFi gives me the Hotspot.
Try that app and maybe it works for you too.

I like US Mobile because their Customer Service is 1st class and online chat can solve the problem fast... Try to call some of them to solve an issue... 😊

I have Consumer Cellular too (❤️ them!). I used my phone as a hotspot for a couple of months and it worked out well. Their customer service did a great job of talking me through what was needed, how to estimate my data needs, etc., and the hotspot was super easy to turn on and off.

One great thing about them is that if you exceed your data plan, there’s no penalty fee, they just bump you up to the next highest plan. When you want to drop back down to a cheaper plan, that’s easy to do, too. So it’s relatively risk-free to experiment.

(The only reason I’m not using this arrangement permanently is that I’m still sticks-and-bricks living and like to be able to stream all I want while still having a fast connection for work... couldn't risk the work connection in case I got "throttled" at the end of the month for over-indulging in YouTube.)

From your description of your online activity, the only thing likely to eat up a lot of data is YouTube. Any chance you might be able to use a separate, cheaper device — one NOT connected to any activity that requires privacy, so it wouldn’t be the end of the world if it got hacked — just for streaming free videos, which you could then pick up at a library, McDonald’s, or the like?

I’d definitely recommend talking to Consumer Cellular to see if what they offer fits your circumstances.

PS
I have to admit, though, that this Visible thing sounds great. Do they have truly unlimited data (they don’t throttle after you reach a certain amount)?
I too have Consumer Cellular, Android v. 11 Motorola g. I do not know of any plan that avoids throttling. Yes, YT chews up data. I changed my Settings/Mobile Network/Data warning & limit from 2G to 3.93TB/3000G, to avoid distracting 'data warning'. I changed this month to unlimited data $50, realizing that I would not be able to return to the $20 unlimited calls, texts. I love my CC plan; at the same time, Visible is young, upbeat, and threatening the Powers. Did anyone notice that Verizon trademarked 'Visible' to claim it for themselves! V is feeling the heat, competition. My concern is that Visible young folks will 'sell out' to the $millions offered them, likely by Verizon, T-mobile! The downside to CC is use of AT&T towers; whereas Visible piggybacks on Verizon towers. I am perfectly happy thus far with my android and CC. If you get message 'currently unable to connect' on your cell, and your laptop diagnostic says 'USB cable not connected to server, or broken cable,' try Restarting your cell. Eventually, engineers will make devices/software throttle-free.

My understanding, which could be completely erroneous, is that Visible was always a child company of Verizon or a company with connections to Verizon (more so than just using their network).

My understanding, which could be completely erroneous, is that Visible was always a child company of Verizon or a company with connections to Verizon (more so than just using their network).
Indeed, Verizon ownes Visible. That's an unarguable reality.

I have a Verizon plan for my iphone which includes a personal hot spot. Works fine, except under two circumstances -
1) on the outer limits of the tower's reach
2) when bajillions of people are trying to use the tower
In which case, I go for a walk or knit, and try again later. Most of us really don't need to be on the internet 24/7. We just think we do.
Well stated yes "we just 'think' we do". Cheers the real prison we inhabit missing out on the moments and nature around us sucked into the screen or Alice in Wonderland's rabbit hole.

I use Visible as a Hotspot to my Hoo Too router. Watch Netflix on my tv while being connected to phone and tablet.

Well stated yes "we just 'think' we do". Cheers the real prison we inhabit missing out on the moments and nature around us sucked into the screen or Alice in Wonderland's rabbit hole.
This is not so bad. Even with all the vanlifers now, you can still get away from people and be in quiet nature if you camp where there is no cell service! But I think that will disappear before long when Starlink is fully operational.

I am a retired (non-digital native) with a limited income preparing to move into my Honda Element and am searching for the easiest, most reliable, and most economical option to remain connected to the internet on my journeys. I am exploring Visible and Verizon Mifi, but, in the middle of the 4G - 5G transition the choice is confusing. Currently my mobile service is Consumer Cellular, I have a Motorola G5+ phone, and my IP is Century Link. I wonder if turning my phone into a hotspot for a while is workable...or if I should go with Visible or MiFi. If I choose Visible, I would need to get a new phone. Would a 4G be prudent or is it more sensible to get 5G. I use the internet as an info source, for shopping and bill paying, and for watching Youtube videos. I am not a gamer or a streamer at this time. Hearing your advice based on your own experiences would be immensely helpful.
I am on Verizon (postpaid). I have been using the PdaNet+ app for almost ten years now, since 2013. In fact, I am using it right now to tether my phone to my laptop so my laptop can charge the phone and get the same speed of mobile 4glte data as what is on my phone. I have noticed that the built-in factory hotspot on my phone can run slow, almost like they designed it that way, hmmmm :unsure:

There are also a couple apps on the play store called Netshare and Netshare+. those are a little more complicated to use than pdanet+ however they do provide a wireless hotspot, although I don't use them (much)

Pdanet+ was like $10 bucks for life

http://pdanet.co/