Storage locker or cargo trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travelaround

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between getting a storage locker or a cargo trailer... in the event that I can't fit my entire life into my van. There are a few things I'll have a hard time parting with, mainly for sentimental reasons. Here are the pros and cons. Have I forgotten anything?

Storage locker

Pro - Not having to haul something. Better gas mileage.

Con - Monthly costs amounting to much more than the stuff is actually worth, over time, and if I want something I have to go back to point A to get it, which could be a long way away by the time I think I need it or have room for it in the van.

Cargo trailer

Pro - Having all my stuff with me and possibly another living space which would be my art studio and workspace for my online traveling retail business.

Con - The purchase price and registration. Having to haul something all the time just because I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. More gas expense. Parking could be more difficult.

Your thoughts? I'd like to hear your opinions...

I'm 90% finished with downswing and the last tenth has had me torn. Finally decided to use my life-long state as a residence/home base. Reasons, a trusted family member is here for mail forwarding, this state has very reasonable Medicare and supplement costs and all that 10% l can't part with today can be sent to me if I really need it. I did manage to put all important papers and photos on a flash drive.

All the other stuff, furniture and tools, has been sold, given away or ~sigh~ trashed..

Considered a cargo trailer and storage locker..... as you point out, I'd just end up selling it all later.

A few observations-
Your tow vehicle possibly would limit the size of the cargo trailer you would get.
So would your budget. Perhaps your monthly budget would work better with small monthly payments (for the storage unit) instead of one large up front payment (for trailer purchase) plus small insurance payments thereafter for insurance.
Or perhaps, for whatever reason (asset limits, etc) your budget would work better to pay more upfront and not have that monthly storage payment.
That leads to another point - would you want to get insurance for it? In the state I live in insurance is not required for trailers. Registration-yes, but not liability insurance. The liability coverage for the trailer comes from the insurance on the tow vehicle. You can choose to get a comp/collision policy for your cargo trailer, but it's not mandatory. I don't know if that is how it's done in most states or not. BTW- you wouldn't have to pay registration on your rented storage unit. You may choose to get rental insurance for your stored property, though.
Another thing to consider is that after a year or two if you downsize to the point of not needing the additional space of a storage unit/cargo trailer only the cargo trailer allows the option of selling it and getting some of your $ back. A storage unit doesn't offer this option.
That's all I can think of right now.
~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Well, all the things I feel like I can't part with are small items, so maybe I'll find room for them in the van. Time will tell. I don't have any furniture left that I'll regret giving away. I probably won't be selling anything, as I find donations and giveaways to be easier to deal with.

I wonder how aggravating having a cargo trailer to pull would be. I still like the idea of having a separate room for an art studio and workspace.

A storage locker. Pulling a trailer is a day to day burden, a small one but one that could be avoided.

My idea would be to rent an affordable space for the trailer and use it for a home base. Maybe a winter base and a summer one, or halfway between your seasonal preferences.

Start out with a storage locker. If after a while you discover you really need that stuff with you, then get a trailer. Or you might discover that after being separated from that stuff you don't really need to hold onto it. It's funny how "out of sight out of mind" works with things we're sentimental about.

Oh and "my entire life" is your old life. That's not your life anymore. The new one will be different. The more we try to hold onto the old life the harder the new life will be.

MrNoodly said:
Oh and "my entire life" is your old life. That's not your life anymore. 

That's a really good point!

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I had a feeling people could be telling me that pulling a trailer is a burden. I like the idea of getting a cargo trailer and putting it in storage, and I know a place where I could do that fairly inexpensively. However, on the whole, I think it would be pathetic to have so much stuff I couldn't fit it into the van. Minimalism is a gift. I'm going to try very hard to pare down my possessions to van-size. Also, I'll be getting a tent, and I could use that as my art studio if I decide I need one.

travelaround said:
I'm going to try very hard to pare down my possessions to van-size.

"Too much stuff" is a real problem, one that I have a hard time with. Good luck on your quest!

There are two things I will aim for in my van: no clutter, and lots of white. I know I'm being optimistic but those are important to me.

I can empathize with your desire for studio space. I recently rearranged my stuff in my trailer and now I have a much larger table space. This is a table that I haven't been using for the past 6 months because it's been stored on it side leaned up against a side wall. Now that I have the space for painting I've been feeling a lot more creative. Like tons more creative.
I still have too many boxes. Aaagh! I just need to keep plugging away at downsizing.

~angie

Right Angie, there's nothing like a good table space to help make art happen. I can see myself with a nice tent with a big table in it, and some art supplies. I'd be in my happy zone. I'd rather have a big table in my van, than a kitchen. I could minimize the kitchen! If I need a sink it would be clean paint brushes.

^^^^^ I imagine a tent (or even a screen tent) would have great lighting that would help get my creative juices flowing. Light changes everything. A solid sided tent would be great for outside creativity without breezes blowing your work away, too. Please let me know how this works out for you if you do try it.

In Bob's recent video about the pop-up work space, all I could think was wouldn't that make an awesome art studio.

~angie

Get a cargo trailer, but instead of using it for storage put a U shaped work bench/desk space all around the walls with a rolling desk chair in the middle. Be sure you have good ventilation and some views to the outside.

Of course it does not have to be a cargo trailer, it can be a small travel trailer that you convert into a studio space. That gives you more windows to look out of and more fresh air. Most important, you have more light to work by. That is what I have done to a very small vintage fiberglass trailer, 10' long inside. It needed a total interior renovation.

My desk chair is the SNILLE model from IKEA. It only rolls when you are sitting in it which is an advantage for keeping it secured in place while on the road. Most important though, it is very comfortable and supports my bad back. Plus it is lightweight and inexpensive.

!0

Thanks Maki - I like the travel trailer idea. Not sure I'll like pulling a trailer but I would definitely like having more living space! My desk spaces are where I spend most of my time now. I have a computer desk, writing desk, and art studio desk . . . all of them have windows for light. I will miss this arrangement when I leave the s/b apartment next year.

travelaround said:
Thanks Maki - I like the travel trailer idea. Not sure I'll like pulling a trailer but I would definitely like having more living space! My desk spaces are where I spend most of my time now. I have a computer desk, writing desk, and art studio desk . . . all of them have windows for light. I will miss this arrangement when I leave the s/b apartment next year.

The three desk concept works for a U shaped arrangement, just spin on the chair and you are at the next workstation. My little trailer has a window on the front over the hitch and windows on each side that are also close to that end. I don't have it set up as a U desk because I wanted a bed width wise across the front. But I easily could have configured it that way.
studio trailer.JPG

Here is a quick 3D CAD model of the concept of a U shaped layout, this would be in a 10' long 6' wide interior space in a travel trailer with a rear entry door.
The far end, width wise counter top is 30" deep which gives it the potential to serve as a place to put a self inflating mattress. There is a 36" tall sink cabinet with enough room to set a portable stove next to the sink. Storage cabinets below and even overhead cabinets if you want them. This layout gives you 26' of worktop space. You don't need a big trailer to have an efficient work space that has some versatility of use.

Attachments

• studio trailer.JPG
    studio trailer.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the visual... I like the layout and especially the 30" wide section for a possible extra sleeping space if needed. I think I should try pulling a trailer behind the van for a while. If I decide it is too much of an inconvenience at times I can put the trailer in storage. Or I might decide this space is essential to my happiness. As a creative person, I do like to spread out a bit... I love big table tops! But I also know that 90% of the space in this 2 bedroom apartment is wasted. The living room looks pretty but I barely use it, preferring instead to spend most of my waking hours in the office space. I visit the kitchen a few times each day at least but all totaled I spend less than an hour there daily.

It is truly about how you want to live out there on the road and of what is truly a monster importance to your being happy.

Master painters would take an easel, small table and paints/canvas into a field and paint. They didn't need to spread out or have extra. BUT this might not be you :)

I like the tent idea. Pop up a tent/screen/privacy panels/folding table and you have a ready done room for all your personal living/artistry/and more. It would serve a few purposes which is always nice....extra space for a few things.

I know it is hard to decide LOL
What will make me happy and how do I want to 'buy' what I need to make it happen easily to make me smile thru life and feel comfortable.
don't worry, you will find that fit.

RoamerRV428 said:
Master painters would take an easel, small table and paints/canvas into a field and paint.  They didn't need to spread out or have extra.  BUT this might not be you :)
. . . don't worry, you will find that fit.

Thanks Roamer, you have a good point there! Creativity is important to me, but so is minimalism! I think I should start with the bare minimum in my van, and build from there if I feel I need it. I think a pop-up screen room for art would be ideal (better light than a tent) if I decide I need that. Well, this is all still about six months away. Right now I need to go make a shopping list for WRTR which I'm going to in a car this year... and that requires a whole separate set of plans.