Still undecided about home base state

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed countless times before, but I am still having a hard time deciding how we are going to claim a state as our residence for tax purposes when we are moving around.<br /><br />Here are my concerns in order of priority:<br /><br />1) State income tax: I don't want to pay any<br /><br />2) Vehicle registration: We will have 4 things that need registering.<br /><br />3) State sales tax: The lower the better, esp if it is use tax for vehicles<br /><br />4) Jury duty:&nbsp; What happens if you are called and you are 1000s miles away<br /><br />5) ACA:&nbsp; I don't know that state will make difference in Obamacare<br /><br />Looking at Alaska, Wyoming, or Florida.<br /><br />How picky are the states in actually investigating if you live there?&nbsp; How long can you work in another state before having to claim residency there?&nbsp; Any tricks to get around having to register your vehicle in a certain state even if you stay there more than a few months?

<p>IGBT, I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. When I "hit the road" next year I'll be keeping Nevada as my state of residency for a few reasons.&nbsp;I'll have to change my residency address to Pahrump, NV. The reasons for this are purely logistical.<br /><br />There are a number of reasons why some people choose Nevada as their&nbsp;state of residency. Most of them are beneficial for the reasons you mention.<br /><br />(1) No Nevada state income tax<br />(2) Vehicles registered in Nye County do not require&nbsp;a yearly&nbsp;annual inspection or smog check for registration purposes<br />(3) Nevada has state taxes like any other state. Hard to avoid them<br />(4) Jury duty is another aspect of living out-of-state when a jury summons shows up in your mail. It may be hard to avoid even if you're 1,000's of miles away.<br />(5) Until "Obamacare" is totally implemented there is no way of knowing how it will impact the majority of us<br /><br />Here's a link to another thread on this subject:<br /><br /><a href="/post/State-residency-permanent-addresses-mail-etc.-6030957">https://vanlivingforum.com/post/State-residency-permanent-addresses-mail-etc.-6030957</a><br /><br />Hopefully this informatin helps you decide if Nevada is the right state for you.</p>

<p>Thanks for the links.&nbsp; I had considered Nevada...not sure why I abandoned it.&nbsp; I will look at it again.&nbsp; There is a plus in that a lot of times you can get cheap flights to Las Vegas from anywhere in the country...this could be an advantage if you do happen to get called for jury duty and can't weasel out of it.<br /><br />I had not considered the fact that some states require emissions testing.&nbsp;</p>

I'm in Arkansas and we currently have no anual vehicle inspection.&nbsp; We do have personal property tax but if the value of your vehicle isn't much the tax is low.&nbsp; I have one older vehicle I pay $12.00 per year on.&nbsp; Vehicle insurance here isn't as high as in some other states and we do have personal income tax but if your income is low you can pretty well get off easy or pay nothing at all.&nbsp; If you are a veteran there is a good VA hospital in Little Rock and also a good facility in Fayetteville, AR.&nbsp; Also, if you are a Veteran you can tag your vehicle for $0.00 per year.

Followup! You can have a permanent address in Nevada but you have to be in the RIGHT county to avoid the yearly required emissions test.<br /><br />I live in Las&nbsp;Vegas so a yearly&nbsp;emissions test is required for registration renewal.&nbsp;Las Vegas is located in Clark&nbsp;County&nbsp;Nevada. In Nye County, Nevada there is&nbsp;NO&nbsp;emission&nbsp;(smog) test required for yearly registration renewal. This is why&nbsp;have an address in Nye county&nbsp;is&nbsp;a good suggestion for a permanent address.&nbsp;

I lived in Reno, NV for 25 yrs., Las Vegas for 13 years before I was forced to retire, and the past 3 years have made Pahrump, NV my home base. &nbsp;Auto insurance is half of that in Vegas, RV taxes are way less, and generally it is about 30% cheaper to live here. &nbsp;If you do need some specialty item, it is only about 50 minutes away. &nbsp;There are many other places you can domicile but I chose NV for a couple of reasons: 1. I was already here &nbsp;2. Driving (for instance) to South Dakota or Texas would cost &nbsp;xx amt of dollars in gas for my F250 Ford. &nbsp;Would I recover the savings I might get in those states vs my cost for gas to get there? &nbsp;In my case, probably not. Anyway, NV is my home base even though I travel or boondock about 10 months a year. &nbsp;Nye county has no smog requirements, is close to a big city(vegas), if I need some off the wall item, and the insurance cost is way less. &nbsp;For me, it works.<br /><br />Dogman

Pahrump AZ. is the place to go and get everything done and there is no emissions test... Pahrump is also a spring and fall destination with allot of BLM land, no limits and the town has everything ya need, yet it is small cozy and friendly to boon-dockers...

SoulRaven said:
Pahrump AZ. is the place to go and get everything done and there is no emissions test... Pahrump is also a spring and fall destination with allot of BLM land, no limits and the town has everything ya need, yet it is small cozy and friendly to boon-dockers...
<br /><br />I would rather go Nevada.&nbsp; AZ has a 2.5 to 4.5% income tax

OREGON has no sales tax and some counties are fee free for vehicle emisions.&nbsp; Check into South Dakota I hear their residency requirements can't be beat.&nbsp; If you are a full time rv'er hit the states while on your camping tour then they are never out of reach.&nbsp; Save your money for big purchases for OREGON.&nbsp; With the money you save stop in Lost Wages [Los Vegas] and play black 13 at the roulett table with your fingers crossed and a prayer under your breath.&nbsp; If you arn't a player just go ahead and give your money to the mob at the front desk in a sealed plain envelope.

&nbsp;&nbsp; Pahrump is in Nevada not Arizona.