Still looking fro a rig

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
Hello from HHH (HazyHotHumid)Pennsylvania,

Looking at a 4-cylinder 2010 Toyota Tacoma to haul a small travel trailer that I don't have yet.  Towing capacity is 3500 pounds, but I'm concerned about the drag on such a small engine.  Also, wondering if a van would be a better option, or very small Class C or B+.   I'm sooooooo ready to go, just need to find a rig:-?

Welcome Sunny to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome, Sunny! Don't have any advice on a rig (kind of new myself) as I have a travel trailer. But wanted to welcome you anyway.

Hi, Sunny! I'm new to the forum but have had my truck/camper combo for four years. I drive a 2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport bought new because 1.) It was a special order that the dealer's good customer changed his mind about so the price was really good, and 2.) It was only a couple thousand more than a 2010 with 40K miles as these trucks REALLY hold their value. It does have an automatic transmission (hard to get used to after nearly four decades driving a stick) and a SIX-cylinder engine, which I'd recommend for towing. It has never given me the slightest trouble. Both of my brothers are on the West Coast and have bought Tacomas new and (very) used, and they swear by them. I tow a 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe with the Tacoma and sometimes forget it's behind me, it's so smooth. Though I'm from Colorado I live and camp on the East Coast, so I cannot say how it would do with REAL mountains or at high altitude. It did just fine on some steep hills and rough roads in Maine and Vermont.