Mobile printer suggestions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rarely need to scan or print anything but places with them are so easy to find, I never give it a second thought.

Libraries, Office Depot type store, almost any print shop, almost any postal/shipping center, Fedex, etc.

When my printer died on me in the middle of printing something, I simply saved the documents to a USB drive and stopped in at the local Office Depot and they printed it out for me.

For scanners, the Fujitsu Scansnaps have a good reputation, but may be more expensive.

I looked at mobile printers and decided against one. They are expensive to buy and slso expensive to buy ink for them. I travel with a low budget, modestly priced canon ink jet printer. Nothing has broken in the way of the plastic structure, all the functions still work. It cost $25.00 (discount sale) at Walmart. It is now on year three and still working great. It is is a bit bulky, but on the
smaller sized for a home office printer. it is not fragile or heavy. I store it on its side as that takes up a lot less space in my cabinet. No problems have developed from storing it in that sideways position. I can buy the ink cartridges at Walmart and office supply stores. That is important to me as I do not want to have to be waiting for an online order of ink to arrive when facing a deadline move from a 14 day campsite. Sure I wish it was smaller but other than that I have no complaints. I do not print color photos with it so I can’t offer a review on that. I primarily print sheets of instructions and also shipping labels with it. I am not using it to print high quality color photos so I can’t comment on that ability.

Last edited:
I have to get a mobile printer to print out documents for my new job. The company recommends a Brother Pocket 6, but the damn thing is $300. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have found a few mobile printers but they all seem to be pricey. I would like to stay under $200 if at all possible.
Have you considered a thermal printer? You never need ink. $100.

Limited-time deal: JADENS Portable Printers Wireless for Travel, Support 8.5" X 11" US Letter, Bluetooth Thermal Printer Compatible with iOS, Android & Laptop, Inkless Mobile Printer for Office, Home, School https://a.co/d/6pubFdi

I looked at mobile printers and decided against one. They are expensive to buy and slso expensive to buy ink for them. I travel with a low budget, modestly priced canon ink jet printer. Nothing has broken in the way of the plastic structure, all the functions still work. It cost $25.00 (discount sale) at Walmart. It is now on year three and still working great. It is is a bit bulky, but on the
smaller sized for a home office printer. it is not fragile or heavy. I store it on its side as that takes up a lot less space in my cabinet. No problems have developed from storing it in that sideways position. I can buy the ink cartridges at Walmart and office supply stores. That is important to me as I do not want to have to be waiting for an online order of ink to arrive when facing a deadline move from a 14 day campsite. Sure I wish it was smaller but other than that I have no complaints. I do not print color photos with it so I can’t offer a review on that. I primarily print sheets of instructions and also shipping labels with it. I am not using it to print high quality color photos so I can’t comment on that ability.
I think we have the same printer. The Canon Pixma? I didn't bring mine with because I wasn't sure how well it would hold up.

I think we have the same printer. The Canon Pixma? I didn't bring mine with because I wasn't sure how well it would hold up.
I also have a Pixma, and keep it on an overhead shelf. It fell from the shelf one day while I was driving and fell about five feet. Still running fiine. Good quality, and doesn't take much power. Pretty much any small inverter will work.

My Canon printer is a Pixma MG2522. Pixma is the name for a series of inkjet printers. There are a number of different models in that series. Some have Wi-Fi capability. The MG2522 requires a cable connection.

The Best printer of them all..

Is no printer!

FedEx stores have the printer station. You just email your document to the email then swipe your card they place a hold on it for like 5 bucks and then you print what you need via a code they send you and wall-la! done! UPS also has printing methods but I got confused and left lol.

Most sizeable towns have places you can print documents so its super simple and cheap. Every 6 months I print my insurance card.

Typically costs around 68 cents to get 3 copies one for the glove box one for my wallet. and one for a backup. Plus the space of not having a printer is nice.

Consider investing in a decent cheap tablet that you can use to save your documents you want "printed" and just use that table or better yet your phone. I been to many places where they can scan barcodes or QR codes directly from my phone. Makes everything simple that way. OR you could even forward said document to the person who needs a copy of the document.

ie if they need to view your pass they can get an email copy of your pass. You can have multiple email accounts and switch back and forth. Great ways to ensure that you don't need a printer.