Mobile printer suggestions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
Anyone have hands-on experience?

I've been looking for a 12V paper printer, brand not important. Wired or WiFi is ok. Smaller is good.

I do have the "occasional" need to print out a form. Example would be a camping permit form and a few VA/Govmt/Insurance papers that need signed and mailed.

I think having one on-board would be an asset.

Thanks in advance

Glad you asked - a very small printer is on my wish list as well!!

The big table top 3in1 is going to be installed at my friends place where I will have my legal address for her to use but I know I'll be needing one on the road.

I have been carrying a Canon Small In One for a few years.

Was the smallest I could find, but still needs to work off an inverter.

Got tired of having to run into town and paying to have things scanned or printed.

Problem with minimum use for inkjet printers is they dry out. The Cannon Bubble jets seem to be able to go long time between uses. I used to carry one in the pre-internet days so I could print stuff and fax it...

It was not 12V, but had a battery that could be charged.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-BJC-55-Color-Bubble-Printer/dp/B00004ZAV2

Lasers need too much current to work.

Toner lasts longer than ink. I tend to have my ink cartridges dry out before
i use them up. I have a Kodak. Don't be fooled by the media. The inks do not last as long as I think they should.

You only buy a printer once. The refill inks/toner you buy repeatedly.

compassrose said:
Toner lasts longer than ink. I tend to have my ink cartridges dry out before
i use them up. I have a Kodak. Don't be fooled by the media. The inks do not last as long as I think they should.

You only buy a printer once. The refill inks/toner you buy repeatedly.

Yeah, but where are you gonna find a laser printer that runs on 12V? they are 350-500 watts. Maybe with a good inverter, but the OP wanted 12V solutions.

A portable bubblejet with a 12V wall wart can be run on 12V without the wall wart.

You don't buy small printers.  You buy the ink carts, and they throw in the printer for free.......    I began with Lexmark printers, but found they tend to have one or two colors dry in the ports, requiring cleaning with alcohol often.  My last two have been HP, and their carts are twice as big at half the price - so four times the ink, and so far no drying ink problems.  Better color rendition though no small printer I have found truly prints what I see on screen, if doing pics and graphics.  Great for documents though.

As a former network manager and computer consultant, I recommend HP inkjet if you are going to only use it occasionally. HPs are the only inkjet where the print head is part of the ink cartridge. When you replace the cartridge you get a fresh, new head. Also, you can take the cartridges out and seal them in a bag with a couple drops of water to keep the heads from drying out. Then put that bag in a new Tupperware container, with an unscuffed deal, to deal it up even better. If you forget and leave the heads in to dry out, you can easily pop out the cartridges and clean the heads.

I can't do without a printer so I've always carried a cheap Canon full size in the trailer, but to travel in the van it's just too big, no way was I taking it. So I got a Canon Pixma iP 110, and I've been very happy with it! It's about as thick as a ream of paper but not as wide and a little longer. It fits in a little carry case and prints very nicely.

It isn't 12 volt, but I carry an inverter anyway and I don't use it very much at all. My 380 watts on the van laughs at it and kicks sand in its face! You can buy a battery pack for it but it wasn't worth it to me.

Highly recommended!

http://amzn.to/1GNwtC8
Bob

I've carried a printer in my vans/trailers for 6 years and I've never had an ink cartridge dry up on me. I doubt if I use it more than a 6 times a year but it hasn't been a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky. But I don't buy recycled cartridges either, maybe they are what is drying up for you all?
Bob

I didn't realize that so many of y'all carry printers on the road... :)

I only need to be able to print out tax forms in April and a copy of my visa statement once a month!

Maybe I'll just hang with someone that has a printer and beg/barter a little..... :D

akrvbob said:
I've carried a printer in my vans/trailers for 6 years and I've never had an ink cartridge dry up on me. I doubt if I use it more than a 6 times a year but it hasn't been a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky. But I don't buy recycled cartridges either, maybe they are what is drying up for you all?
Bob

Hey bob when you have a chance, could you look at the power adapter for that printer and see what the output voltage is? 
Thanks, Mike R

akrvbob said:
Bob
I've tried new, knockoff, and refilled cartridges for several manufacturers, for dozens of clients/employers. All with the same drying out problem. I'm happy you haven't had a problem. Normally I prefer Epson inkjet, but not for only occasional use.

I'm a computer guy, but I figure I will be able to get by without a printer. I have gone full paperless. I do as much as possible with .PDF files.

I once had a expensive portable printer but the head dried out and needed to be replaced. It was cheaper to just buy a new printer. I now have an Epson XP-310 which is nowhere near as small nor does it run off AC, but it does collapse into a nice brick shape that is convenient for storage. 1 year in it's just fine though it did require a nozzle clean cycle which blew through some ink.

I need a scanner and printer with me for dealing with gaming licenses. I COULD deal with that stuff in libraries and Kinkos (not a lot of those left) but it's a pain finding them on the road sometimes and the fees can add up.