Still can't find the right trailer....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingArthur

Reaction score
I'm getting more excited because I'm inching closer to once again becoming nomadic...

I've been looking for the right camper to put behind my tow vehicle. I lived in a converted astro van for a year and a half so I don't need anything big, I'm used to small spaces. All I need is the ability to stand, have a kitchen and a toilet, and a place to sit. I don't even need a bed because I prefer to sleep in a hammock. My budget is around 5 grand. My tow vehicle is a small SUV so I need something as light as possible. The tow capacity is 4400lbs but I'd prefer to be as light as I can be while still being able to be comfortable. I'd also like to get something sooner rather than later so building out a utility trailer isn't really an option at this time. 

Thanks!

KingArthur said:
I'm getting more excited because I'm inching closer to once again becoming nomadic...

I've been looking for the right camper to put behind my tow vehicle. I lived in a converted astro van for a year and a half so I don't need anything big, I'm used to small spaces. All I need is the ability to stand, have a kitchen and a toilet, and a place to sit. I don't even need a bed because I prefer to sleep in a hammock. My budget is around 5 grand. My tow vehicle is a small SUV so I need something as light as possible. The tow capacity is 4400lbs but I'd prefer to be as light as I can be while still being able to be comfortable. I'd also like to get something sooner rather than later so building out a utility trailer isn't really an option at this time. 

Thanks!

Patience will pay off! I was in a similar situation and it took me a few months to find exactly what I wanted!

used truck camper options to fit your vehicle.
used Camplite has 5 models that weigh less than 3500 lbs.
Aliner and small popup option.

your budget of 5K is limiting but that isn't the trouble, your weight limit to tow is the key. Just keep searching is all you can do. research lightest weight and then target those models used and you might hit a gold mine that will fit your situation, budget and weight restrictions.
best of luck!!

There aren't many campers for sale in the middle of January, but there are RV shows everywhere that you can browse through figuring out what will work for you, and your budget. Most new campers will be well out of your price range, but the dealerships will be taking in trades, and many owners will try to sell their old unit after upgrading.

You will probably have to keep under 20' long for a trailer, but there are many cool floor designs in that range.

Remember that the tow weight specs on your van include all the weight in your van including occupants and gear. That has to be deducted from what you can tow behind the van. A lot of us think "tow" means tow behind. In the case of specs and weight it means what you bring with.

We had a 10' Aliner Lite - the roof folds down flat and then comes up like a house roof. It weighed less than 1,000 pounds empty. Maybe check out RVTrader.com and keep checking within your driving area.

I guess to add complication to this all, I live on the east coast and it can get pretty cold here. So pop-ups are pretty much out. I really don't want to approach the tow max of the vehicle (although I've heard good things about it being underrated) just because I'm sure the engineers weren't expecting anyone to tow behind it as often as I'm planning on.

^^^Yep, a 6x12 cargo trailer is the way I would go and keep it simple/lite weight.

Hi! I live on the east coast. My Jeep tow limit is 2500lbs. See weeroll.com. I ordered the Classic model (under 1000lbs). Easy to talk to Tom the owner. Bob W did a youtube abt weeroll.

We LOVE our Casita!

Light-weight, durable and just big enough for the 2 of us and our dog.

You should be able to find a Boler trailer on the East Coast, or a Casita. Both of those are fiberglass trailers of a suitable weight in the smaller ones. They have been around long enough to have proved their reliabiity and value. Having been around for a long time that means there is a decent but not always plentiful supply of used ones around. At 5K it will likely need some TLC but not major work. Just do a good inspection, especially of the frame and floor.

Have a 13' Scamp on order to tow with my 2dr. Jeep Wrangler. Btw, towing capacity does not include the weight in your tow vehicle.

Latest posts