Stepvan GVWR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Dawg

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start building out our '89 Grumman Kurbmaster. I pulled it up on the semi truck scales at work, assuming they are correct, it weighs 7800 lbs. empty. The GVWR is 10,000 lbs. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the modifications  needed to go fulltime (Solar panels, batteries, water tank, stuff). My question is do I absolutely need to stay under 10K or am I worrying about nothing. I don't have any experience with the DOT guys and don't want to take unnecessary chances. I see some of ya'll with really great looking step vans and wonder if I am worrying about nothing. I don't know if it will make any difference but I am planning on re registering it as an RV.

Thirsty is a 1987 Kurbmaster with the same gvwr, Even though I watched the weight and relied on engineering, adhesives and lightweight materials over "standard" construction, the weight with tools and hardware that I carry is close to 11,000, probably more at times.

I have traveled the east coast several times and never had the weight questioned.
Typically I am waved on as soon as they realize it is not a commercial vehicle any longer.
I never stop at weigh stations, I do stop at agricultural checkpoints.

My state does not issue commercial or rv plates for "light trucks", don't know about other states..

Insurance company's are ever so happy when someone that has "coverage" from them exceeds the GVWR of the rig in question and then makes an accident claim, they don't pay.

The above has unfortunately become more and more common.

karl said:
Thirsty is a 1987 Kurbmaster with the same gvwr, Even though I watched the weight and relied on engineering, adhesives and lightweight materials over "standard" construction, the weight with tools and hardware that I carry is close to 11,000, probably more at times.

I have traveled the east coast several times and never had the weight questioned.
Typically I am waved on as soon as they realize it is not a commercial vehicle any longer.
I never stop at weigh stations, I do stop at agricultural checkpoints.

My state does not issue commercial or rv plates for "light trucks", don't know about other states..
Thanks for the info. I'm going to do my best to keep it under 10K

29chico said:
Insurance company's are ever so happy when someone that has "coverage" from them exceeds the GVWR of the rig in question and then makes an accident claim, they don't pay.

The above has unfortunately become more and more common.
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about pulling a small (6X10) utility trailer and keep some things in there to keep the van weight down.

As far as the Federal Government the FMCSA defined a commercial vehicle as follows,  49 CFR Part 390.5  a commercial vehicle IS:

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

Notice that I highlighted INTERSTATE COMMERCE, If there is no commerce you are not considered a commercial vehicle.

Interstate Commerce is defined as follows:

Interstate commerce means trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

(1) Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);

(2) Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or

(3) Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

So as long as the vehicle is not used in ANY TYPRE COMMERCIAL activity the vehicle is considered a private vehicle.   NOW INSURANCE COMPANY USAE A DIFFERENT CRITERIA TO DEFINED AND INSURED A CMV

arctic cat said:
As far as the Federal Government the FMCSA defined a commercial vehicle as follows,  49 CFR Part 390.5  a commercial vehicle IS:

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

Notice that I highlighted INTERSTATE COMMERCE, If there is no commerce you are not considered a commercial vehicle.

Interstate Commerce is defined as follows:

Interstate commerce means trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

(1) Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);

(2) Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or

(3) Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

So as long as the vehicle is not used in ANY TYPRE COMMERCIAL activity the vehicle is considered a private vehicle.   NOW INSURANCE COMPANY USAE A DIFFERENT CRITERIA TO DEFINED AND INSURED A CMV
Great info Arctic Cat. Thanks

My Utilimaster has a GVWR of 9999. With 1300 pounds of bread racks inside it weighed 9200, which gave it an available payload of 800 pounds. Hostess drivers managed to log over 350,000 miles with it over the advertised GVWR when loaded. I'm guessing that with the GVWR under 10,000 they didn't bother stopping at the scales.

Motor homes do not need to stop at scales, therefore I have never been concerned about the weight. If you crash, how are they going to know whether you were a couple thousand pounds over weight or not? What are the chances that they would even consider it? Are they going to tow it to a scale and weigh it?

My opinion, it's a non issue.

Road Dawg said:
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about pulling a small (6X10) utility trailer and keep some things in there to keep the van weight down.

Do you know what the stepvan's GCWR is?

Fabber McGee said:
My Utilimaster has a GVWR of 9999. With 1300 pounds of bread racks inside it weighed 9200, which gave it an available payload of 800 pounds. Hostess drivers managed to log over 350,000 miles with it over the advertised GVWR when loaded. I'm guessing that with the GVWR under 10,000 they didn't bother stopping at the scales.

Motor homes do not need to stop at scales, therefore I have never been concerned about the weight. If you crash, how are they going to know whether you were a couple thousand pounds over weight or not? What are the chances that they would even consider it? Are they going to tow it to a scale and weigh it?

My opinion, it's a non issue.
Fabber, That's kinda what I was thinking but wanted to get some more opinions on it. I'm still going to try to stay as close to 10K as possible. Thanks!

highdesertranger said:
combined means if your are towing.  vehicle + trailer = combined.  highdesertranger
Thanks HDR. That's what I thought but wasn't sure.