Stealth signs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belchfire

Reaction score
Hi All

if all goes well I will be parking my van in residential neighborhoods sleeping daily from
6 AM to around 2 to 6PM

What kind of signs are going to help my rather large van blend in to the the neighborhood.... Plumbing. Electrician. event planning?

Thanks

I was actually thinking today about whether or not signage like that wouldn't actually just make you more of a target for thieves. I live in a city with significant property crime and I've known more than a couple of trade vans with windows smashed - thieves looking for tools, copper, or the like. Those types of vans are often stored away securely behind fences for the night.

Pet care isn't a bad idea or maybe carpet cleaning? Industries not known for small but valuable tools or materials.

Edit: Just noticed your sleeping hours are during the day - probably not so risky then no matter the sign.

How about hazardous waste disposal. Get one of those little biohazard triangles and put on the back to boot. No one's going to break into that one.

Chip

I was thinking dog walking, not many people would question it, especially if there's walking trails nearby, and in general dog walking doesn't require any special licensing like HVAC, plumbing, HAZMAT, etc.
Plus you could actually walk dogs for some extra cash.

That's what I would do if I wanted signage on a cargo van.

Belchfire said:
Hi All

if all goes well I will be parking my van in residential neighborhoods sleeping daily from
6 AM to around 2 to 6PM

What kind of signs are going to help my rather large van blend in to the the neighborhood.... Plumbing. Electrician. event planning?

Thanks

Why put any signage on it?

Unless it's a small town where everybody knows everybody and all their business, it's not likely that anyone will even pay any attention to the van unless it's parked illegally or you park in the same place day after day.

If you use event planning, it's going to stick out like a sore thumb in anything but a higher income neighbourhood, same as 'dog walker'.

I'd resort to signage only after trying to go with no signage.

The sure signs that someone will notice is blocking ALL the windows including the two driving compartment side windows. Putting a sun screen across the front window won't attract any attention but the side windows will. You don't need to do anything up front if you've got some kind of separation between the back and the driving compartment.

I suspect that you're overthinking this!!

I have been successfully sleeping in my van in residential neighborhoods since September with no trouble at all. I often sleep during the day and stay up at night in accord with my circadian rhythm. My van is a white 15 passenger van with a ton of windows. Reflectix is visible in the rear side windows. I have yet to even be approached.

They have a company here that services the port a pots and trucks name is 'Honey Dipper' lol

I would not put anything on it. Signs are meant to generate interest in whatever business you're advertising.

You DON'T wanna be noticed, then don't put anything on there.

oh yeah.....and I own & operate a Sign & Graphics shop.

sushidog said:
How about hazardous waste disposal. Get one of those little biohazard triangles and put on the back to boot. No one's going to break into that one.

Chip

Honestly, that sounds like a terrible idea.

You don't think the people who live in that neighborhood aren't going to be worried that there is "a truck full of toxic waste" parked on their street, maybe abandoned there?

I guarantee you that the local city hall will get multiple calls demanding to know what's going on with that truck.

Regards
John

Try this; mobile jewelry. You sell, we buy. You brake, we fix. That should keep you out of everybody's eye [emoji102]
I'm just kidding of course. Don't use any signs. Sleeping in it in day time should be a lot easier than night time.
Try it first before you buy unnecessary signs. [emoji106]

If you're parking in a more industrial or business area, signs would help you blend in. In a residential area, you might get people wondering about your services. At the very least, you'd be noticeable, whatever sign you put up. How about removable signs, use when appropriate?

LucyImHome said:
If you're parking in a more industrial or business area, signs would help you blend in. In a residential area, you might get people wondering about your services. At the very least, you'd be noticeable, whatever sign you put up. How about removable signs, use when appropriate?

I think no signs or signs when appropriate

If you're sleeping during the day, you can pull into any city park and sleep there. There's no need for stealth.

parks are good but dont go too early...got popped because they thought i was there since last night. when i mentioned when i arrived they said i was ok then but not till they questioned me about why i was there etc. i work nights and sleep days. people will figure out your sleeping in there but only if you stick to one area a while.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Honestly, that sounds like a terrible idea.

You don't think the people who live in that neighborhood aren't going to be worried that there is "a truck full of toxic waste" parked on their street, maybe abandoned there?

I guarantee you that the local city hall will get multiple calls demanding to know what's going on with that truck.

Regards
John

It was actually a joke. Like putting up a sign saying "INS Mobile Investigation Unit."

A couple days ago I had a van from "DA Exterminating Company" (their logo looks like a law enforcement badge with "DA" on it) pull up in my yard. I'll admit I had some trepidation walking up to the window of the van, till I realized that it wasn't someone from the DAs office.

Chip

An observant cop will see a commercial truck with non-commercial tags, if you put a business logo on your van. He puts a ticket on it, and you have to convince a judge you were not using the truck for commercial purposes, as the logo advertised. Depends on licensing laws in your area.

Parking a van in a neighborhood doesn't sound like a wise move at all. It SCREAMS pedophile by any observant mother watching her kids play outside.

Your hours would fit perfectly in front of a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes. There are step vans, sprinter vans, and other commercial vans parked there all during the day.

It would take a very observant security guard to notice a van parked out there for 8 hours at a time.

WalMart and other shopping areas would also make decent places to park during those hours. Don't park so close that all the carts and screaming kids keep you awake but, don't park so far from the front door that you raise suspicion when you're there for any length of time.

Latest posts