Station Wagon - Positive Experiences

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les Moore

Reaction score
Camel Wagon.jpg

A station wagon has turned out to be a positive experience for me as my starter home on wheels.

If you have positive experiences with station wagons I invite you to add your comments and stories here.

Station wagons are a solution for some of us sometimes.  For those people and those times I trust this will be helpful.

I have searched the forums for other threads and posts about station wagons and the information seems to me to be very scattered.  Also, the last post I found referencing station wagons in the "Cars" category of "Choosing the Right Vehicle" is dated August of 2016 which is now a full year ago.

Looking forward to sharing my good experiences and reading all of yours.

Drive and thrive!

Les Moore

Attachments

• Camel Wagon.jpg
    Camel Wagon.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 12
the first was a 72 datsun 510 wagon,basic camping/fishing rig
then a early/mid 60's merc? I6 push button auto,buddys parents rig they gave up for dead,fixed it and used it to go and stay in the city
last one was a 72-73? volvo again camping/fishing but one of the best rigs i have had,truck with wagon body,went everywhere the 4x4's did

they were great when young and you could just crash out anywhere but now thats everything is broken i just couldnt do it

Three nights in a station wagon and looking forward to many more.

After contemplating a nomadic life for a couple of years and looking at many options for a vehicle I chose a station wagon as my starter home.

It is not my goal to persuade anyone of anything here.  I simply want to share my positive experiences to help those looking at station wagons as an option to know that they can be a good choice for some of us sometimes.

The primary motivations for my choice were:  
1)  My income is limited so I wanted a low investment at this point in time.
2)  I knew I needed enough space to lay down flat at night so a sedan would not be big enough for me to be comfortable. (I am 5' 11"/250 lbs.)
3)  Something with fairly good gas mileage would help me live within my means. (To me that meant above 20 mpg)
4)  I'll be living within city limits so something that would blend in easily was important.
5)  Although I do think a van will be my long term choice for mobile living, months of searching proved that finding a clean van in fairly good condition is simply out of my price range right now.

I considered several station wagon models such as Ford, Volvo, Volkswagon, Buick, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.  Currently sites like AutoTrader also list the following as a "wagon":  Kia Soul, Mini Cooper, Scion xB, Chevrolet HHR.  I don't see any need to debate on what qualifies as a station wagon.  In my view, if you decide what you drive is a station wagon then that's all that's needed.

I ended up buying a 1999 Volvo V70 base model station wagon with 150,000 miles.  I paid $700.00.  I knew at purchase I would need to invest in a new timing belt and drive belt and that cost me $400.00.  An alignment with a 3 year warranty cost another $100.00.  So for $1,200.00 I had my new mobile home.  Using Craig's List I was able to buy cross rails and a cargo box for another $100.00 and the Camel Wagon was ready for the road and habitation.

Camel Wagon.jpg

I spent my first night in my station wagon on September 1, 2017.  I've slept in it three nights and I like it more every time.  Did I meet my five primary motivations?  Let's find out:
1)  Low investment?  In my view $1,300.00 total to get started is a low investment.
2)  Can I lay down flat?  Yes indeed.  Volvos are designed so when the rear seats fold down the cargo space is totally flat.  
3)  Gas mileage?  I made 28 mpg driving from Florida to Texas.  Around town I am averaging between 20 and 24 mpg.  Pretty good in my mind.
4)  Blending in?  The cargo box is the only thing that makes the station wagon stand out.  But even with that I park anywhere and it's just another car in the lot.
5)  Do I wish I had gotten a van?  Not at all.  I suppose for many of us our starter mobile home is an experiment.  I'm finding that I'm relieved that I didn't spend a large sum of money on a bigger vehicle or significant time on a build out.  The stakes just don't strike me as nearly as high by starting as I did.  

In conclusion, with my station wagon I am crossing some lines that were sources of trepidation for me at first.  I've slept my first night in a vehicle.  Yahoo!  I can do it.  I've urinated in a cup instead of a toilet.  I've used public restrooms for bowel movements.  I've made my first modifications to my vehicle (cardboard cutouts for privacy at night).  And I've started sharing my experiences here on the Forums.  I almost feel like a veteran nomad.  LOL!

Drive and Thrive!

Les Moore

Attachments

• Camel Wagon.jpg
    Camel Wagon.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 10
I've always liked the xc70's.

Appears your make/model does fairly well on mpg.

I've owned approximately four wagons in my life. First was a 62 Nova wagon with a 283. Fun car.
Second was a 68 Olds Vistacruiser. Comfortable, big, and roomy.
Third was a 97 Jeep Cherokee. That's a station wagon, isn't it?
Fourth and current, 93 Subaru Legacy AWD. Great in snow with the right tires.
Who said wagons can't be fun? :p

CautionToTheWind said:
I've always liked the xc70's.

Appears your make/model does fairly well on mpg.

I would have been really thrilled with an XC70 as I like the All Wheel Drive and 3 inch higher ground clearance.  I test drove a few and they seemed perfect for me.  However, during the window of time I was ready to buy I couldn't find that right combination of price, condition, history, and location in an XC70.  

The man I bought this V70 from was the second owner and he has restored cars for years and knew this vehicle from top to bottom.  He spent a lot of time with me going over its history.  When I had my mechanic inspect the vehicle, he found it just as the seller had said it was.  That created the right combination for me and I made my move. 

I may very well upgrade to a newer Volvo next year and if I do it will be the XC70.

Thanks for your comment Caution.

Les

Ballenxj said:
I've owned approximately four wagons in my life. First was a 62 Nova wagon with a 283. Fun car.
Second was a 68 Olds Vistacruiser. Comfortable, big, and roomy.
Third was a 97 Jeep Cherokee. That's a station wagon, isn't it?
Fourth and current, 93 Subaru Legacy AWD. Great in snow with the right tires.
Who said wagons can't be fun? :p

That's quite a line up Ballenxj!  I'll bet you could share some stories of the fun you had in each of them.  That Nova must have been a blast.

The Subaru Legacy AWD and the Volvo XC70 AWD have a good deal in common.  They both target the driver who wants the height and ride of a car while also having some off road and bad weather capability.  

I've certainly known several people who live in snowy climates who swear by their Subarus and wouldn't drive anything else.

I'm sure having fun in my wagon!

Les

Gary68 said:
the first was a 72 datsun 510 wagon,basic camping/fishing rig
then a early/mid 60's merc? I6 push button auto,buddys parents rig they gave up for dead,fixed it and used it to go and stay in the city
last one was a 72-73? volvo again camping/fishing but one of the best rigs i have had,truck with wagon body,went everywhere the 4x4's did

they were great when young and you could just crash out anywhere but now thats everything is broken i just couldnt do it

Thanks for posting Gary,

I haven't seen a Datsun for a long time but I sure remember them and always liked them.

Do you have any pics of the Volvo you had?  They would be fun to see.

Personal mobility is a real concern.  I don't currently have any physical limitations so a station wagon is fine, but that's a great point for people to consider.  If the human body is broken in certain ways it surely guides your choice of vehicles for the nomadic life.

Les

Les Moore said:
That's quite a line up Ballenxj!  I'll bet you could share some stories of the fun you had in each of them.  That Nova must have been a blast.

The Subaru Legacy AWD and the Volvo XC70 AWD have a good deal in common.  They both target the driver who wants the height and ride of a car while also having some off road and bad weather capability.  

I've certainly known several people who live in snowy climates who swear by their Subarus and wouldn't drive anything else.

I'm sure having fun in my wagon!
The Nova wagon was fun, but then again, I have owned a plethora of Muscle cars too. 442's were my main stay, but I threw a couple Trans Ams and GTO's in for good measure.
Funny story, the Olds Vista Cruiser was just another car to me when I owned it, and didn't really consider it cool until That Seventies Show became popular, at which time that one was long gone. :p
The Subaru with proper tires is almost unbeatable in the snow. I remember driving it to McDonald's one snowy day and watching a Jeep having a hard time while I just cruised on by with zero problems.

I didn't know they still make station wagons. How are they different from mini-vans, or are they just calling them mini-vans (or something else) now?

it looked like this
663f643886d54864ac6dbe36ec2fc6cf.jpg

the pre-injection b18-b20 volvo's are some of the best cars ever made

when i was looking for my rv it was a race to which one i found first,a 70's chevy chinook or 67-68 volvo amazon
1967-Volvo-122S-Amazon-Estate-Wagon-rear.jpg

the chinook won
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=24932

CityWoman said:
I didn't know they still make station wagons.  How are they different from mini-vans, or are they just calling them mini-vans (or something else) now?

The ceiling height is 4 feet in my 1999 Windstar.  The 1976 Plymouth Volare wagon I used to have had about 3 feet in the flat back area.  Both are enough to crawl around, neither has enough space to stand.

My insurance company classifies my Kia Soul as a station wagon. So far it's been a pretty good, though not quite ideal travel vehicle.

Hi Les, I too chose a station wagon for the exact same 5 reasons you listed.
Where I live in Australia the state registration and insurance costs go up by 45% if you choose a van as it is classified as a commercial vehicle.
I've thrown out the rear seats, replaced with a hinged plywood panel and now have over 7 feet of flat space with storage underneath.
Maybe we could start a station wagon thread for wagoneers.

Ive always been a van guy but I did have a FIAT Brava wagon for a short time. I wouldnt turn down an old Vista Cruiser if I could get my hands on one though, but either way a van will always be my first choice if I could only have one automobile.

mom had a Vista Cruiser when I was young. I wonder why a Suburban is not on that list? I had a 1966 4x4 Suburban until I rolled it. highdesertranger

My first wagon was a 1963 Pontiac Safari. Made the journey from Ohio to NC numerous times. Was my mother's and it got passed down to me. Didn't know much about cars back then but dang was it roomy. I camped out in it more times than I can remember for days on end. Later I got a 73 Pinto wagon. Another great camping rig and it ran great too when the engine didn't catch on fire, an occasional nuisance. I guess the SUV classifications of vehicles have sort of put the damper on wagons nowadays. Still out there but not like they used to be. My current daily driver is my 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee and no issues of camping in that if the need and or want arises.

my first wagon wasn't exactly a wagon, but, it had ample space for living. (and I suppose dying)  :rolleyes:  1949 Pontiac hearse.

Attachments

• 1949 pontiac hearse.jpg
    1949 pontiac hearse.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 4
my mom drove a Ford country squire when we were kids. loved the fold up seats in the back of that car!

found some old photos of my 131 Brava wagon this is the best one:
IMG_8736.jpg

Im pretty sure I wouldnt want to live it in but I slept in it sometimes. sure wish I hadnt sold that.

Attachments

• IMG_8736.jpg
    IMG_8736.jpg
    550.1 KB · Views: 6