Starting New Chapter. Excited & Nervous!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnaG

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm new to this forum and excited to meet you!  :) :heart: Almost pulling the trigger on a trailer today and feeling nervous and gun-shy. It's a HUGE purchase and I'm financing half of it. I've got questions!!

It's 6'W x 8'L x 6'H, which is pretty small and I don't have carpentry skills, but I want to learn and do the work. It's all aluminum because I have severe mold sensitivities.

How do you build out on top of aluminum? I've got to find out where the studs are and how I'll brace and fit things compactly.
Do I bite the bullet and go a couple thousand more into debt to get the 6x10x8 for the extra room?
Do I get a 5'5" H instead of 6' so it will fit in a garage? (I'm 5'4").

I want this and need this so badly. I've got to find a part of the state that will be friendly to me and my needs. CT is moldy and there are no opportunities here for me. I've been researching for several years and I'm finally ready, but also scared to pull the trigger. So many life changes coming up. I'm 52 and my daughter is 21. I've been a renter my entire adult life, and as a single Mom, have never been able to save or plan for retirement.

This would be my retirement plan so I can save what I would normally be spending on rent.

I'm at the very beginning of a new chapter... so excited and nervous at the same time!! Any words of encouragement are appreciated.

Regards,

Donna G

Welcome DonnaG to the CRVL forums! You may want to tape off a 6x8 space on the floor and see if you can fit.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello Donna, you didnt tell us what you will be pulling the trailer with...bigger trailers will have more room but if your tow vehicle is not up to the task then that would not be a good choice.

Have you considered work camping jobs? Or can you do online work?

If so that might help you finance this journey.

Good luck in your new adventure!

Extreme HD Liquid Nails (if you can tolerate it) and something to hold things up while it dries, wood to metal screws, the strongest bits for the drill you can buy, and a good assortment of swear words in various languages. Aluminum is easy to drill through, with a good bit and persistance. Found out the hard way our roof is aluminum but the blasted beams are steel, so we are glueing up our foam board insulation. My best suggestion is get asmall piece of lumber or board first and make sure it doesn't set off a reaction. I have seen one 'clean' trailer youtube van lifer, but im not sure how the handle the heat in what can be an oven without any insulation.

HI Donna
I am from the ne also.upstate ny not far from Danbury.
I dream of traveling in an rv when I retire.  57,single mom of 2 boys 15 and 30.
Found myself in fl 4 years ago...great job. Planning to retire jan 1 2025.
I plan on buying a 23ft coach. Just me and my dog.

Good luck
Cathy

Welcome Donna G. Your title excited and nervous is good. you want to be somewhere between the two. Not too excited that you do stupid things and make hasty decisions. AND not too nervous that you don’t do anything. I hope you find what you’re looking for in this forum. There is lots of good advise and friendly emotional support here if you need it.

From the Norther East here also, in the Adirondacks upstate NY..

If it were me, I would not take on more debt than absolutely necessary, the goal is to minimize your life, taking on more debt in my boke is maximizing stress.. which that is what your trying to get a way from.. Planned out well your build would be pretty straight forward, basic skills needed..

Just and FYI there are a few that have done builds from XPS foam, my self included, and I am still in a working process.. But XPS is much much easier on the Wallet, it is more of a form of craftiness rather than carpentry.. there is a learning curve with it also..

Not sure what your timeline is, But we are close enough.. I would be willing to help you get going.. on which ever way you decide. I am get close to being done with my build, and might be able to drive to you.. But that is all up to you.. no pressure.

I Hartley second what Scott said about debt. If you can do it without that your stress level will be much easier to handle. I would just consider something like spending half of what you were planning and saving the other half. It might be aFun exercise Just to See if you can write a plan following what I just said. Even if you don’t make it 50-50 you might be able to cut your expenses further than you think. One of the biggest problems for a nomad is having too much stuff. I’ve been full-time for a year and I’m still trying to figure out what is necessary and what is just baggage. I carried a whole bunch of stuff to Florida and back and never used it.

I would suggest you search through the build threads and look for the ones posted by people who have chemical and mold sensitvity issues. You are not by anys the first person in this forum who has needed to build out a van or trailer with those issues in mind.

Hello there, I'm new to this forum and excited to meet you! :) ❤️ Almost pulling the trigger on a trailer today and feeling nervous and gun-shy. It's a HUGE purchase and I'm financing half of it. I've got questions!!

It's 6'W x 8'L x 6'H, which is pretty small and I don't have carpentry skills, but I want to learn and do the work. It's all aluminum because I have severe mold sensitivities.

How do you build out on top of aluminum? I've got to find out where the studs are and how I'll brace and fit things compactly.
Do I bite the bullet and go a couple thousand more into debt to get the 6x10x8 for the extra room?
Do I get a 5'5" H instead of 6' so it will fit in a garage? (I'm 5'4").

I want this and need this so badly. I've got to find a part of the state that will be friendly to me and my needs. CT is moldy and there are no opportunities here for me. I've been researching for several years and I'm finally ready, but also scared to pull the trigger. So many life changes coming up. I'm 52 and my daughter is 21. I've been a renter my entire adult life, and as a single Mom, have never been able to save or plan for retirement.

This would be my retirement plan so I can save what I would normally be spending on rent.

I'm at the very beginning of a new chapter... so excited and nervous at the same time!! Any words of encouragement are appreciated.

Regards,

Donna G
Greetings and Welcome to the "Traveler's Life" AKA "Nomads". This site is pretty Cool, a lot of people willing to help with "Wisdom" & "knowledge".
Bob in (U-tube) has lots of knowledge and shares it In his Channel.

Attachments

• 20220218_190859.jpg
    20220218_190859.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
Hello there, I'm new to this forum and excited to meet you! :) ❤️ Almost pulling the trigger on a trailer today and feeling nervous and gun-shy. It's a HUGE purchase and I'm financing half of it. I've got questions!!

Do I get a 5'5" H instead of 6' so it will fit in a garage? (I'm 5'4").

I want this and need this so badly. I've got to find a part of the state that will be friendly to me and my needs. CT is moldy and there are no opportunities here for me. I've been researching for several years and I'm finally ready, but also scared to pull the trigger. So many life changes coming up. I'm 52 and my daughter is 21. I've been a renter my entire adult life, and as a single Mom, have never been able to save or plan for retirement.

Regards,

Donna G
I see its been almost a year. How is your journey going?