Starting basic design layouts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderingBiker

Reaction score
Even though I don't have my Toy Hauler yet.... I am forging ahead with some preliminary design concepts for my
custom cabinets.

These cabinets will be along each side of the garage area and hold my vinyl cutter, vinyl rolls, transfer paper rolls, tools, etc.

I dont have the doors or shelves shown, but do have a drop down work table that doubles as a double cabinet door
This is just the beginning... "Best laid plans of mice and men"

When I get my TH, then I will modify the basic layout into a scaled drawing so I can start building them....

anything to move forward on getting to my end game which is hitting the road....

jT

Attachments

• cutter cabinet layout.jpg
    cutter cabinet layout.jpg
    124.6 KB
I started my build figuring out where the bed was going. A toy hauler trailer may be wide enough to go side to side. It may also be tall enough to make it like a bunk bed so you have storage both underneath and above the bed. I like a permanent bed. When it is time to sleep I don't have work to do getting the bed ready.

Everybody's ideas are different because we all have different needs. A bed that folds down over the toys may be what works best for you. I have seen some where a platform lowers from the ceiling after the toys are loaded and tied down.

Keep us updated on your build.

Thanks DannyB1954

Everything is up in the air right now.... just thinking out loud on paper :)

been running in place for quite a while, so need to do a few things to get me going
forward again.....

jT

Do you know any easy software to do designs easily?

DKNZ said:

sorry I dont.... I use flexiSign which I have had for years of being in the sign industry.... 

you could check out Infinity design, think its 49.00 with lifetime upgrades.... 

I actually need a vector program to be able to cut vinyl for lettering, designs, etc....

you can get away with a raster based design program.....

the difference is with the vector based program you can blow up the design to any size without distortion  with the raster 
based software, its based on pixels so the more you enlarge it the more distortion you get

jT

DKNZ said:

I design in a 3D CAD program. There are quite a few free ones available now. The lessons on how to use them are on youtube which makes it much easier to learn. Sketchup has always been popular with furniture makers. Since the inside of a van build is much the same as designing pieces of furniture that would be one possible choice.

The program I use is not free but it is very fun to design in, much more intuitive than other 3D design programs. The name of it is Ironcad. Easy to use ...yes, but all CAD programs  have a learning curve.  The only affordable way to own it is if you are a student or have a student in the family.   I do use the 2D drawing part of the program I design in to create dimensioned drawing plans that I use to cut the parts for the cabinets but I don't begin with 2D drawings, I start right in with 3D pieces of the materials I am going to build the project with. It is easy to export the 3D objects into the 2D drawing mode of the program, just one click of an icon.

In my build I am doing my cabinet framing with aluminum angle.  The image shown below was captured from my design software, it is the aluminum angle framing for the kitchen cabinet that has a stovetop and sink set into the counter. Also shown is 2D reference drawing I made to use while assembling the pieces that create the front face frame of that cabinet.
kitchen cab frame.JPG
face frame plan view.JPG

I use the same program to design the very small sized papercraft kits I make for sale that are produced using a vinyl cutter. I design them in 3D  because they get assembled as 3D objects and the fit of the pieces as they intersect with each other is critical. So for my needs 2D drafting software is not where I begin. but it is where I end for sending the work to a 2D cutting machine.

Attachments

• face frame plan view.JPG
    face frame plan view.JPG
    43.6 KB
  • kitchen cab frame.JPG
    kitchen cab frame.JPG
    50.7 KB
Hey maki2,

I've been looking for someone building cabinets with L-channel aluminum.  See the attached figure.  I have specific questions about how to fasten the pieces together.  Not crazy about bolts or rivets.  I've talked with adhesives experts that say, if done right, these bonds can be almost as strong as welds.

What are your plans?  What about drawers and faces?  I'd love to connect with you.

Jim

Attachments

• alum-joint-view.png
    alum-joint-view.png
    207.8 KB
Try small amounts of 3M 4200 so not to extrude outside the joint. 100 grit scratch the mating surfaces, and give them a quick degrease.

Should be able to "undo" if needed, so consider it just prototyping, bit like tack welds.

When happy with a given unit / section, best to then go with actual welding, or even brazing, but carefully, practice on scrap first.

Or if you want to use adhesive for the final stage, PC7 is great stuff.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/what-epoxy-is-best-for-bonding-aluminum.90901

JBweld?

Or go high tech, one of the 3M Scotchwelds, or Plexus MA832 from ITW

Latest posts