Minivan conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the hanging bag system you have and have seen it somewhere else before. I could see incorporating that. As for a kitchenette, I'd do that in the back with access being from outside so the cooking would actually be done outside. As for showers and toilet, that would also have to be done outside since there just isn't room in the van for those things. I am used to traveling on a motorcycle so always travel light. That makes the minivan seem quite huge in comparison. It's a matter of perspective I think.

What year is your sienna? I suggest a transmission cooler espically if it is 06-08 and you want to tow. Siennachat has good info on siennas.

jrose152 said:
What year is your sienna? I suggest a transmission cooler espically if it is 06-08 and you want to tow. Siennachat has good info on siennas.

My Sienna is a 2012.  Thanks for the suggestion on Siennachat.  :)

I'd all but given up on this teardrop idea until stopping at an old friends place today on the way back from Ithaca. He's got this 5x10 home made steel trailer for sale with upgraded 15" wheels (spare underneath) and 4" steel frame, 1/8" plate on top and I'm wondering if that might be more of a hassle to deal with than an open frame. I'd have to fasten the teardrop to it somehow, welded bolts I guess. He'd actually bought it to build a tear drop on for hunting season but doesn't have time to build it. He's asking $900 but I'm sure there's room to talk it down. It's all been seal coated, pretty sure it was rusty when he bought it but he said he cleaned all the rust off. Not so sure about that to be honest. There's some sort of protective coating on it which I'll post up when I hear back from him.
I like the axle placement and I think it'd work with the bike mounted on the front without much of a change. The tongue is light as it sits. He welds and could help me make a rack on the front for the DR.
What does the collective think this is really worth? I'm thinking $700 would be a good offer.

Side rails are slide out so easily removed. There's another 6" between the bed and fenders on each side to widen the teardrop closer to 6' width if I wanted to.
Just heard back and it's coated with Rustoleum truck bed liner. Axle is 2x2 1/4" thick wall. Not torsion from what I see, springs.
It is big enough I could still try to make a toy hauler inside the teardrop if I wanted to I suppose but I'm not sure about that idea anymore.

Attachments

• dales trailer.jpg
    dales trailer.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts