Sportsman 800 generator on sale at home depot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RVTravel said:
Sportsman 800 generator on sale at home depot
It's 95 decibals, 2 stroke & won't run above 3000' if it's the one for $109. I bought one that was 2000 warr surge listed 1800 contin, 4 outlets 4 stroke for $169 from HD then saw the had changed it to 1600 surge, 1400 cont & returned it & bought the one from Sams for $249/shipped which is an inverter genset which is 52db & slows down as the load does.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/a/pro...F9Nm3Ni4iT0sABYKeOzs3Q&pubNAME=Slickdeals+LLC

These are piss poor generators.I had one and could never get the voltage stabilized.It would swing from 90 volts to 130 volts depending on the load.Save your money and buy a better generator.

You've got it mixed up with the harbor freight one. This is an inverter generator and 4 stroke.

I bought one as it is a lot lighter than the little 2 stroke one from harbor freight that I got a really good deal on for $49, that's right $49 several years ago. It served me well for charging my batteries on those overcast/rainy days but the added 2 stroke fuel was a killer. I'll probably give it away at the next RTR I get to make unless there is someone coming through Houston that wants it. Not worth putting on craigslist.

Edit to add: Thanks RVTravel!

The Sportsman 800/1000 watt inverter generator is a great unit for the price. I have had one for 2 1/2 years and it's easy starting, quiet as a Honda 2000 and runs for hours on a half a gallon of gas.

B and C said:
You've got it mixed up with the harbor freight one.  This is an inverter generator and 4 stroke.
If this was for me, I got this off the Home Depot webite for the small one on sale? It's 95 decibals, 2 stroke & won't run above 3000' if it's the one for $109.

Wabbit posted the link to Home Depot. It is different than the one you complain about. That you don't even have.

B and C said:
Expires 3/3/2019

Is this math right? 800watts/120volts = 6.7amps. So this generator can power a 120v charger that is rated up to about 6 amps?

vtwinkicker said:
Is this math right? 800watts/120volts = 6.7amps. So this generator can power a 120v charger that is rated up to about 6 amps?
I would think a 10 amp charger as I would never run a bettery to zero & usually a 10amp charger starts at about 5 or 6 amps but you could be right. I've seen 400 watt hondas, had a 500 amp kawasaki & have a bigger one but this will power all my sensitive electronics as it's an iverter generater. It's the weight 19#s & would run my diesels built in engine heater. It has a 12v charger port built in.

I don't know about the math. My old harbor freight 700 watt generator would recharge my house batteries through the built in progressive dynamics 30 amp charger in my van. My batteries were at about 70% and it ran fine. I don't remember how many amps the charger was putting out but the 2 cycle engine was not struggling very hard. That is why I'm going for the Sportsman. Four cycle, light weight and an inverter generator. What's not to love?

The 12V charger port is very low amps. I won't use it.

I have the 2300/1800 deluxe one I bought from Sams which I'm sure is better but it's 52# & this is 19#. I have LED lights so it's big enough to plug into my shore power & run really everything I use that I can think of anyway. I had the e-gift card so I bought a couple small things & I'm done with Home Depot. It said it shipped today.
Brian your advice please. I usually break new engines in with regular oil, we used straight 50 weight in planes, until things break in. My scooter I did 100 miles flat out then changed to synthetic. Is that what you do? My thoughts are cylinders will glaze, rings won't seat if started on pure synthetic. What say you Sir?

Break in oil and run oil has always been dino straight 30 weight for me on small air cooled engines. As cheap as you can find for breakin. Run under load for a couple of hours and then change it. This should get any mfg. pollutants loosened and suspended in the oil. Always change when engine is hot.

Actually, 30 weight is what my Onan calls for that I change at 50 hours use. I don't think I'll live long enough for anything oil wise to make much of a difference anymore so I don't spend the extra dollars for it. Oil has come a long ways with their additives just like engines are now better. I do use synthetic in my vehicles. My 20 year old B&S lawn mower's oil only gets changed every year or two and only has a little color. My brother is still using an old B&S 3 hp push mower that has to be at least 30 years old and doesn't smoke. I'll have to ask him about his lawn mower oil changes. I bet it's been a few years knowing him.

For small air cooled engines this is all I'll ever done (and have used). I don't know about using synthetic in a small engine but yeas, the engine needs to work some at first to seat things. I would think with synthetic that you would have to run the engine longer to seat thing but the shavings and such will be in there longer too.

I will look in the manual that comes with it for maintenance recommendations and take it from there.

So we do agree & actually I don't run pure synthetic, I run a blend as one is better as a lubricant & the other is better at rust prevention. Thanks!

vtwinkicker said:

Battery chargers are typically rated for output amperage @12V.  6.7 amps would be the maximum input voltage @120V supplied by the linked Sportsman GEN100i inverter/generator.  Mine powers my 35A Progressive Dynamics charger without problem (< 4A @120V).

Any internal combustion engine will have reduced output at altitude unless the fuel:air ratio is adjusted or it is turbocharged.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Battery chargers are typically rated for output amperage @12V.  6.7 amps would be the maximum input voltage @120V supplied by the linked Sportsman GEN100i inverter/generator.  Mine powers my 35A Progressive Dynamics charger without problem (< 4A @120V).

Any internal combustion engine will have reduced output at altitude unless the fuel:air ratio is adjusted or it is turbocharged.
I bet if the carb  isn't adjustable I can add a small fan on the intake to give it a bit more air at altitude, Go Red Green!