Sportsman 800 generator on sale at home depot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RVTravel said:
1. What is difference from tan unit sold at sams club.
2. Why the 3000 ft disclaimer.

Sounds like the one at Sam's club is a 2000 watt unit.

I broke mine in at a mile high and have run it at up to 9500 ft. It can't handle my 975 watt/55 amp converter if the batteries are really low but it can take the Meanwell pushing 36 amps.

I don't understand, if the carburetor is easily adjustable then it is not supposed to be sold in California. if it says CARB approved then the carburetor should be non-adjustable, except by a shop.

when you say you just adjust the carburetor, do you have any pictures or youtube videos on how this is done. does the carb need to be drilled out to access the adjusting screws? do you need to break off the adjusting stops? doing either one of those things should void the warranty.

I am just asking because on any small gas engine I have seen lately it is not "easy" to adjust the carburetor.

highdesertranger

sany cheap genny is better than no genny at all times for me LOL

Mine from Home Depot is supposed to be here today, was originally scheduled for yesterday. I will take a pic of the carb to see if it is easily adjustable. My weedeater originally came with plastic caps on the adjusting screws. They pried off easily and I was able to put them back on once I got it set the way I wanted it.

From what Jim said, this should power my Progressive Dynamics charger with a tad bit of headroom even if batteries are depleted. :)

Not the one I'm looking for but I'll keep looking, on ulralight carbs ther is a s clip on the needle valve with 3 placed to put it & we had to move it up or down in the cold & at higher altitudes

On most of these, adjusting the idle speed or idle mixture is not the same thing as changing out the main jet for high altitude use.

Although some generators jetted for low altitude will run OK at higher altitude but they might consume a little more gas, possibly running rich, maybe burbling a bit, and could foul the sparkplug, in addition to lower power output at high altitudes.

At the very least I would keep a spare sparkplug and wrench and change (or clean) it if needed.

It's also a good idea to keep a can of starting fluid handy in case the generator is not easy to start especially when cold.

I also use gas treatment and try to buy ethanol-free gas when I can find it.

You can rest for ethanol with a glass jar with lid add water to 1/3rd of the jar make a marker line then add another 1/3rd of gas put the lid on & shake then let sit for 10 minutes & if the gas/water line hasn't moved=no ethanol.

Jim, I did, I bought the SamsClub one around Christmas & it weighs about what a Honda does but has wheels, a pull out handle & didital readout as well as comes with the cords to connect 2. Than I bought the 19# Home Depot one as I've had a credit gift card & everthing on my list has gone up so I bought the 19# 1000/800 watt one.

now you made me look it up,

you are not allowed to tamper with the carburetor settings. it's the law. I don't care what Joe Blow on youtube says, IT IS ILLEGAL to tamper with the carb. read this,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tamper proofing

Tampering with the emission control system is a violation of Federal and California Law.

In addition to a law, CARB has methods described in their regulation to further deter tampering of emission control systems, including:
Special plugs
Limiting caps
Need for custom tools to tamper
Need for special tools to access areas needed to adjust things

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

that is a small excerpt from this article,

https://pressurewashr.com/what-is-carb-compliant/

down at the bottom of that article is a bunch of links to the laws and to CARB.

highdesertranger

CARB laws dont apply in the other states, and for the end user, or a dealer, in most states: properly adjusting, (rather than 'tampering') is legal.

This is why you can easily buy non-CARB approved generators and other small engine-powered equipment in the other 49 states.

For the readers, here is some clarification:

'CARB' means California Air Resources Board

'carb' means the fuel-air mixing device or assembly we are adjusting on these small generators.  

And yes, I know some other states have copied CARB rules on emissions, and everything from diesel locomotives to class 8 trucks to lawnmowers and outdoor BBQ grills are being regulated in some counties/states/municipalities.

CARB goes way farther than engines but everything I read says it causes cancer in california so I'll never step foot or roll tires in the state. What if your plywood or OSB in your build isn't CARB compliant? Are you going to CARB jail? Other states use parts of CARB, none where I will go.
CARB Certification. Intertek is a leading independent third-party testing and inspection services provider and a CARB approved Third Party Certifier (TPC) qualified to perform an extensive range of services including: Formaldehyde emission testing on wood panel and finished goods. Establishing Quality Control Limits.CARB Certification - Intertekwww.intertek.com/consumer/certification/carb/

I doubt any of the gensets will have an issue but CARB engines are better on fuel so they run lean so that may be a plus at high altitude.

Doesn't this CARB (California Air Resources Board) laws only affect what is sold in California (and 16 other states (only the three coastal west states))? I think that when something goes through compliance testing, it is then easier to mfg one thing and sell it all over. AFAIK, Texas has no such CARB requirement.

I bought mine in Texas so Texas law should be what I go by. The carb on this little genny does indeed have a plug over the mixture screw but could easily be removed (mine came in today). Removing the plug and then adjusting and re-adjusting the screw would require removal of a few parts to just get at it. I haven't tore into it enough to see if the carb can be rotated to make access easier.

Weird timing, but in fact, I am currently replacing the carburetor on a Champion 3500/4000 watt RV style generator...(not an inverter generator).

This genset has been in storage for awhile and things are a bit gummed up. (blame ethanol gas!) This part was replaced free under warranty, and since you can't buy the exact replacement float needle for this carb seperately, I opted for a whole new free carb assembly.

A high-quality Honda replacement needle for this carb will be about $30 for a part that is the size of a pencil eraser. 

This 'carb' is not 'CARB' approved. But who cares? I'm in Texas.

The main jet and pilot jet (also called starter jet) are easily cleaned and replaceable. There is no true 'idle adjustment' since this type of generator is never operated at idle. There ARE adjustments on the generator itself for the governor speed.

IMG_20190304_192959875.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_192959875.jpg
    IMG_20190304_192959875.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 3
I know everyone hates California's dumb laws that wasn't my point.  my point is that some of these carbs do not have an air adjustment screw or if they do you have to break something or drill a plug out to get to it which voids the warranty.  the pic that Texas posted shows one of these plugs,

carb.3.jpg

the arrow points to the plug.  you can remove the plug and there is an adjusting screw behind it.  however this voids the warranty and there is no reinstalling the plug.  it's like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube.

yes you can find non-carb small engines but they are getting rarer and rarer.  also the EPA is adopting many CARB rules and in that article it does say it's against federal law to tamper with.

you can try to argue that you are not tampering but adjusting.  take my word that will not cut it.  they will not throw you in jail,  they will fine you if you don't pay the fine then they will throw you in jail.  not for tampering with the carb but for failure to pay(FTP).  I know what I speak of I got real close with the friendly people at CARB when I had my auto shop.  the only people allowed to tamper with the carburetor are authorized repair shops. 

again my point is this is not the old days and this is not an "EASY" adjustment.

highdesertranger

Attachments

• carb.3.jpg
    carb.3.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 10