• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gear For Sale Sportsman gasoline-powered inverter portable generator 1000/800 watt for $170

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh. Can not be shipped to CA. :(
Would be nice as a 2nd backup for emergencies.

On the Tractor Supply webpage:

"High altitude use: this generator is not recommended for high altitude use above 3,000 ft"

Dang...leaves me out.

Yep.

I've rejetted gensets and motorcycle carbs but, many people will not want to get involved in all that so it's a good thing to point out.

Plus, these small engines tend to lose around 10% of rated power for every 1000 to 2000 foot gain in elevation so we start to see a noticeable drop in performance at, say, 5000 to 10000 feet elevation.

Just something to be aware of.

It is certainly a good price, no doubt about that.

On the Tractor Supply webpage:

"High altitude use: this generator is not recommended for high altitude use above 3,000 ft"

Dang...leaves me out.
Not everyday and/or site is conducive for solar. All I need out of mine is 400 watts to recharge the camper and ebike batteries. At half load, I've been getting 6 hours run time on half gallon of gas.

Last edited:
Carla & Ron, please let me know how you like it as I bought the same one after I bought the ambo but have never used it. Thanks!

I have several generators, and yes they are far from being easy to use and maintain for me. If you use one daily gasoline as a fuel works fairly well especially if you treat it as recommended by some manufacturers using products like Stabile Marine 360. If you only use it occasionally and really need it to work when you do I would highly recommend you get one that uses propane and avoid the problems of using and storing modern gasoline. I have been given brand new generators and returned slightly used generators because people that bought them failed to consider how often they would use them and how easy it is to let them sit and destroy themselves.

I have and use a little 1000 watt Westinghouse inverter generator, about the same size and capacity as the Sportsman. It is a perfect size for powering a battery charger: laptop batteries, e-bike batteries, RV house batteries, etc.

And it will run for several hours on a tank of fuel, about 1 gallon. Nice and quiet. It does struggle at higher altitudes...up at 7000 feet to 9000 feet it runs pretty rich and stumbles a bit...but it does run.

For the price, I'd be tempted to give that Sportsman a try....but I currently own 5 generators...I did have 6 but I gave one away.
I'm good for now!

Some of our members may be new to using generators so here is some info regarding these, which I hope you find useful. Those who are familiar with generators will probably be familiar with all of the following:

Many of these generators come with a small bottle of motor oil that MUST be poured into the oil fill port before use. Also with any small engine, it is a good idea to try to use non-ethanol gasoline if possible, but if you can't find it, then by all means buy some fuel stabilizer and pour in an ounce per gallon of gas in the tank.

Another very useful item is a can of starting fluid. If your generator sits unused for a few weeks or more, they can be hard to start, and a little bit of starting fluid (ether) will make it much easier to start when it refuses to crank.

If it refuses to crank and you know it has oil and gas, simply opening the air cleaner cover and shooting in a bit of starting fluid with the choke button OFF will usually help the little engine to cough and sputter into life when you pull the starting rope. As it comes to life, turn the choke back on, let it warm up bit, and then turn the choke off and it should be good to go.

Please, be careful with starting fluid. Its SUPER highly flammable, never smoke within 50 feet of where its being used, and always position yourself upwind of the spray as you are working with it.

Good luck Carla and others, please let us know how you like your new Sportsman generator. And thanks to Gr8ful for the heads up.

I actually would have preferred the dual-fuel 1800w version if I could get it here... Was more expensive but dual fuel is nice. Wonder if I can have it shipped to a tractor supply in AZ and make it back to the inland empire over a weekend trip. Would add about $120 to the cost from fuel charges but still a good price even then...

With an Inverter gen you can run sensetive equipment like computers & other electronics. It will put out pure sine wave like the grid & cheaper gensets put out square waves.

I have several generators, and yes they are far from being easy to use and maintain for me. If you use one daily gasoline as a fuel works fairly well especially if you treat it as recommended by some manufacturers using products like Stabile Marine 360. If you only use it occasionally and really need it to work when you do I would highly recommend you get one that uses propane and avoid the problems of using and storing modern gasoline. I have been given brand new generators and returned slightly used generators because people that bought them failed to consider how often they would use them and how easy it is to let them sit and destroy themselves.
I anticipate using it occasionally. I am going to see if I can use a small electric pump and tubing to siphon gas from my van's gas tank as needed. I'll report back how that works.

Latest posts