• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gear For Sale Sportsman gasoline-powered inverter portable generator 1000/800 watt for $170

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With an Inverter gen you can run sensetive equipment like computers & other electronics. It will put out pure sine wave like the grid & cheaper gensets put out square waves.

Correction: Inverter generators main advantage is that they can spin at a range of RPMs, usually 3000 to 5000 rpm, based on load, and will still output a 120V, 60hz AC sine wave to your electrical devices plugged into it, which closely simulates house AC power.

Standard gensets, that are not inverter types, must maintain a constant 3600 RPM (some Onans spin at 1800 RPM) But they all provide a 120V, 60hz sine wave which also closely simulates your home AC power. It is not 'square wave'. But because they always spin at a (more or less constant) speed of 3600 RPM, they tend to consume more fuel even with a small load applied.

Inverter gensets are generally lighter, quieter and more fuel efficient, and the RPM will slow down if the load is small and because of that, less fuel is consumed.

Correction, Tx2 you are mistaken in your post I quoted below.

Quote from Tx2 "Standard gensets, that are not inverter types, must maintain a constant 3600 RPM (some Onans spin at 1800 RPM) But they all provide a 120V, 60hz sine wave which also closely simulates your home AC power. It is not 'square wave'. But because they always spin at a (more or less constant) speed of 3600 RPM, they tend to consume more fuel even with a small load applied."

The correct answer is All gensets are NOT good for sensitive electronics such as computers,etc only pure sine wave gens are. Non pure sine waves are not as clean power as pure sine wave is. If it doesn't say pure sine wave it isn't. Onan's come variable speed gas or diesel depending on the model.

What kind of wave does a generator nowadays use? Is it a pure sinewave?
Generators nowadays can produce different types of waves, including pure sine waves, modified sine waves, and square waves. Pure sine wave generators are often preferred for sensitive electronic equipment, as they provide a clean and stable power source similar to what is provided by the grid. Modified sine wave and square wave generators are generally less expensive but may not be suitable for certain types of electronics due to the lower quality of power they produce.
Below are pics of the 4 wave length gens produce
https://www.eeweb.com/the-basic-quantities-of-ac-waveform/

Last edited:
The correct answer is All gensets are NOT good for sensitive electronics such as computers,etc only pure sine wave gens are. Non pure sine waves are not as clean power as pure sine wave is. If it doesn't say pure sine wave it isn't. Onan's come variable speed gas or diesel depending on the model.

I am not mistaken. I am correct.

Did you see anything in my post that said that any of these generators produce 'PURE SINE WAVE'?

What I said was, they provide a sine wave that simulates the sine wave we get from household power outlets. And that is correct.

However, and this is key: ANY portable generator will have some distortions in the sine wave, and this is rated as THD and usually expressed as a percentage. No need to get into the details for normal consumer use.

Any of these portable gensets with our familiar sine wave (120V, 60Hz) output can be used for normal battery charging and normal appliance use. Would I recommend them for sensitive laboratory or medical devices? Well of course not.

I've never seen or heard of any gas, diesel, or propane portable, consumer, or RV generator made for standard consumer use (powering normal 120V items) that has had a square wave output. They just dont use that waveform.

None inverter or sine wave gensets DO NOT make clean power as the grid & will ruin electronics. Look at the link provided. Here's a good thing to read but it's from Austr so they are 50 hz & 240v but it explains it well. https://powerlite.com.au/pure-sine-wave-generator-the-truth/
He mentions a great point of unplugging everything before starting or stopping a genset & never let them run out of fuel.

What Duromax says,

So how does an inverter generator work? In practical terms, an inverter generator turns fuel consumption into electricity and inverts the current to create cleaner, more stable electricity in comparison to traditional generators. This provides a more consistent wave of current, which prevents power surges that may damage your electronics. Nuff said.
https://www.duromaxpower.com/blogs/...oes-it-work?_pos=1&_psq=inverter&_ss=e&_v=1.0

This is not my field of expertise so I had to go research it. https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/stories/1906-Ultimate-Inverter-Generator-Guide.html

A typical non-inverter generator produces what is called “dirty” power, which is basically power with voltage spikes that can harm sensitive electronic equipment. It has a high total harmonic distortion (THD), which represents the variance from the standard 60-herz frequency. This means that if you were to plug your computer into a regular open-frame generator, the power fluctuations could cause computer memory loss or operating errors.

An inverter generator (such as the Sportsman?) “cleans” up that power by inverting the electrical wave in a way that allows for a consistent flow of electricity without the ripples and irregularities of dirty power. It has a clean THD of less than 6%. You would need an electrical engineering course to understand all the complexities of how this works. Just know that an inverter generator improves the quality of electricity and allows you to plug in a computer or smartphone without fear of damage.

What confuses some users is that what they DO understand is that a PSW (pure sine wave) inverter that changes 12V DC battery power to 120V AC power is better than a MSW (modified sine wave) inverter for 'sensitive electronics'...which can be anything from a microwave to computer to a c-pap machine.

But gasoline powered portable generators (or frame mount RV generators) have never been either one, they are ALL sine wave generators. Yes, the quality of the waveform varies but it is never square wave, modified square wave, or modified sine wave.

Its just 'sine wave'.

Saying 'sine wave' when talking about generators is referring to a class and style of output waveform, not a statement of purity....UNLESS you include the word 'pure' as in 'pure sine wave'.

Sorta like saying that a golf ball is a 'sphere'. But it's not a 'perfect sphere'.

What can mess up the quality of the sine wave with a non-inverter type of genset is the AVR...this is the module in the generator head that actually controls the voltage of the waveform, and the quality can vary from one genset maker to the next. Most of these gensets have a simple mechanical governor linkage that actually controls the throttle to regulate the RPM, usually at a rated 3600 rpm for portable gensets.

But inverter gensets, which vary widely in RPM but usually have fairly 'clean' waveforms, can also produce a 'dirty' (as used above) sine wave, usually when stressed to their limit, or when they are struggling at high elevations where the engine is sputtering, or when they are running out of gas and the inverter module is struggling to keep up with the load.

But because with either type of generator, the basic waveform is still 'sine wave', so we can operate microwave ovens, air conditioners, radios, lamps, toasters, electric skillets, battery chargers, laptops, circular saws, sound systems, and an entire list of appliances that RVers have been using for decades with non-inverter generators.

Again, the output waveform from either type 'simulates' the power from a household outlet, and most of these common electrical products easily tolerate a little bit of THD, or noise, on the AC signal.

I thought I was done with this thread but I think I found another deal. Many Honda's are PURE SINE WAVE.Here's the deal Honda U2200ic $569 shipped -10% off for new customers. JOIN OUR FAMILY - SAVE 10% ON YOUR FIRST ORDER WITH CODE 'NEWHERE10' I have never dealt with them.

[link removed-tx2]

Regular & PSW/Inverter gensets are made totally different. Look at the link & see the pics.
Do Honda generators produce pure sine wave?
Yes, Honda generators are known for producing pure sine wave power, which is ideal for powering sensitive electronic devices such as laptops, smartphones, and other electronics. This type of power is clean and stable, making it suitable for a wide range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honda generators are the 'gold standard' for portable generators, but that website looks suspicious. The physical address listed on the page for the business,4700 Stonehill Drive in Raleigh NC, on Mowerslift.shopify.com takes us here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.846...pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Typos and website errors may contribute to the address shown...but it seems odd to me.

The prices on the website for expensive name brand equipment do seem unrealistically low.

For instance, the John Deere zero turn mowers they show for $700 to $800 normally sell for between $3000 and $5000 at mainstream stick-n-brick retailers like Home Depot and Lowes.

I would say, buyer beware. If the prices look too good to be true, they usually are.

I did find the Honda for $999 on Camping World website:

https://www.campingworld.com/honda-...289&utm_content=Top Google Products&gclsrc=ds

Attachments

• mowerslift.png
    mowerslift.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 0
I totally agree & just came on the website to say BE Careful! The phone # says PA while the address is NC. When you take the 10% off it's 1/2 price of anything I can find.

What I can do is zero out the link (leaving the thread otherwise intact).

That website has some weird things going on...it might be legitimate but until we get some more information I prefer to be cautious.

I don't know anything about the original link to the company in PA or NC or wherever. I did go directly to the Tractor Supply website (easy to find, am not posting a link). The "Sportsman 800-Watt Gasoline Powered Inverter Portable Generator" has a listed sale price of $169, down from $299 as of 14 Jan 2024. It is only available online and must be delivered to, and picked up at, a physical TSC store (free if you spend more than $29). The original link may be a scam or may be a deal aggregator site or some other weirdness, but if you go to the original seller (TSC in this case) you can find the correct info. Hope that helps.

Before folks get excited about the price, realize that 800 sustained wattage isn’t very much, and won’t be enough to run very many items. My Jackery outputs 1000 watts and a Bluetti AC180 outputs 1800 watts.

Before folks get excited about the price, realize that 800 sustained wattage isn’t very much, and won’t be enough to run very many items. My Jackery outputs 1000 watts and a Bluetti AC180 outputs 1800 watts.
I just wanted something cheap to replenish my power station in a pinch. Hoping to mainly use the power station for my 34qt. 12 volt frig. And 220 watts of portable solar to charge the power station when it is sunny. It's probably not enough power. If its not enough, then once a week I'll pay to camp at an electric site. That's the plan anyway.

Check on the power station to see what the input wattage is. If it is above 800 watts, then the generator will take longer to fully charge the power station.

One size doesn't fit all. I have this 800 watt, a 2400 watt Honda clone, 2 4500 watt duel fuels & a 6000 watt Onan diesel off a fire truck w/200 hrs. I also have several Onans from 2500-7500 watt & had 2 15,000 3 phase Onans. I also had a 180,000 watt with about 100 hours as it was the backup for the main genset at a local hospital. I sold it at cost to a friend. I like Onans because they run @ 1800 rpm, have automatic chokes, use real mufflers so they are super quiet & you can run bell wire inside a cabin or home so you can start/stop them without being at them.

Latest posts