Spiritual community

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just thought of something. We are heathens in Washington! We have no monasteries, just little churches, nothing spectacular. We worship in the Church of Nature I guess. But dang, I want to visit a nice Benedictine monastery again, they are cool places.

There is a tradition in Buddhism concerning sacred natural spaces. I am not conversant in it.

We rightly thank Bob for the community... he encourages sprouting & producing &
flourishing here of people respecting & helping & tolerating each other. Here every kind-hearted :heart: soul is Welcome... 
you know a bit like heaven... :) a wonderful place to be. Thank you Bob.

Surely you've heard this fitting poem before:
The Lord God planted a garden by [size=large]Dorothy Frances Gurney (1858-1932) [/size]
THE Lord God planted a garden
In the first white days of the world,
And He set there an angel warden
In a garment of light enfurled.​

So near to the peace of Heaven,
That the hawk might nest with the wren,
For there in the cool of the evening
God walked with the first of men.​

And I dream that these garden closes
With their shade and their sun-flecked sod
And their lilies and bowers of roses,
Were laid by the hand of God.​
The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth, –
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.

For those who are traveling and wish to visit the Church you would be affiliated with "back home",  I would suggest putting together a personal website or a FB page etc.  There you can post photos of you at your home Church among those you know there.   This can also apply to Fraternal Lodges, and other institutions you are
affiliated with. 

It's easy and inexpensive to have business cards printed with your name and URL of your site or page.  Thus as you travel and enter places like Churches which are now beginning to have "security measures" to screen new faces,  you can offer one of your cards such that the security people there can check you out and have some verification of who you are. 

You could have all of this in place for less than $15 dollars.  BUT you need to take photos before leaving home and going on the road if you haven't already taken to the highways.   The websites such as Tripod.com are free,
and the FB, Linkedin, and many others are free. 

I received an email just the other day from one of the local Colleges regarding 3D printing for small businesses.  As I looked through it I noticed a couple of other free classes that they were offering.  One of those was "Church Security".   The promo detailed electronic, and physical measures.  I'm sure that there are those in many Church congregations now who have Concealed Carry permits and would serve as guards during services or activities.  Sad that it's come to this,  but in the future travelers who would wish to be a "walk up" guest ("stranger") at a new Church when they are traveling may have something like this to deal with.

Pacific Hermitage
White Salmon, WA

St John's Monastery & Bakery
Goldendale, WA

St Placid Priory
Lacey, WA

All-Merciful Saviour Orthodox Christian Monastery
Vashon, WA

There's like 20 more I didn't list....All in Washington...I like the bakery one....

Hi Nora, You've started a great thread I think.  I just discovered it.  When I was in Quartzsite in January, a small LDS branch (not small in January) was just down the road. Over 800 were in attendance.  I imagine other churches were busting at the seams as well.  So, it is important for lots of people in this lifestyle!

Some of the suggestions I have read here were: FB page...my Ward (congregation) in Texas has one so I can keep in touch.  Security: the Quartzsite branch did have the doors locked which I had never experienced before. Of course, each person was admitted.

I enjoy hearing the Sunday messages as much as I enjoy nature and all the beauty. I enjoy reading scripture in nature. 
  The quote below about intolerance of good was very fitting I thought.  

It seems if one wants to attend church or does attend, then they are looked down upon.  I don't care if one attends church or believes in God or not. I accept them.  I can only hope they will accept me because I find joy in attending and wanting to go.
Joyce

No matter where I am, I attend a church service each Sunday. It doesn't matter what denomination. I intentionally attend different ones. I love the experience of meeting people of different faiths and backgrounds. It feels good to be welcomed - anywhere... I have been invited to lunch and supper and even to stay over at residences. One Pastor and his wife gave me access to their lake house in MI, to just stay as long as I wished. Another church in W. Texas took up a collection for me to help with expenses in my travels. I graciously declined their generosity and we donated the money to a local family shelter. But that it was done for me without my asking was simply beautiful. I was, to them, truly a wayfaring stranger. I look forward to Sundays when I travel. Glad others do, too. Peace

LathrenJames said:
No matter where I am, I attend a church service each Sunday. It doesn't matter what denomination. I intentionally attend different ones. I love the experience of meeting people of different faiths and backgrounds.  It feels good to be welcomed - anywhere...

X2 my friend