Spiritual community

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxtonsgram

Reaction score
Hi: I don't think I've seen this addressed here before. What do you do for a spiritual community? Attending church has been important to me in the  past. Do you attend different churches as you go? Do you have your own  'service' in your rig? The church family has been a great source of support to me over the years, not just the Sunday morning service. How does one get the feel of church community on the road? Is it possible?
Nora

How much community is needed may depend on the individual. A combination of what you mention (local church, your own service, group gathering) could be used. I am not on the road yet, just an interested person who travels this way several times a year from a home base.

This is a great post as I've wondered the same thing myself. I really like the church I attend here at home and wonder about when I hit the road. They stream the Sunday service so I know I can stay connected that way. However, it's not the same as worshipping with others.

My very small (dis) organized religion maintains centralized lists of meetings around the world.

If I'm within a hour's drive or so I often attend.

As a recovering 12-step'er those meeting are great to attend, just look for ones flagged as "open" if you don't actually have that specific disease, also Al-Anon for those with afflicted family members.
Unitarian Universalist, Buddhism study groups, free Yoga classes at community centers, all help me recharge my batteries and connect with some kind & calm souls.

As a Pagan I've never had a need for a building to worship in. Being out in nature gives you ample opportunity to commune with the Gods. When I need fellowship, which is rare, I find a group holding a ritual depending on what ever seasonal festival we are near.

You can visit monasteries. They are all over the country.

Dream True said:
However, it's not the same as worshipping with others.

Yes. That is exactly what I was referring to. One can worship , but the connectivity of worshipping with those you know and who know you, that i will miss. Nora

I agree. This has been a concern of mine also. I plan to visit churches of my denomination. I tend to stay in one place for around a month. I think it will be interesting to visit different churches of my faith. Even though I'll lose the community, I think having the opportunity to visit so many different churches will offset what I will be missing. One of the determining factors of where I stay is if there is a church of my faith within driving distance.

My spirituality is outdoor and more solo. I am evolving to be more social. The RTR fits into that for me.

jaxtonsgram said:
Hi: I don't think I've seen this addressed here before. What do you do for a spiritual community? Attending church has been important to me in the  past. Do you attend different churches as you go? Do you have your own  'service' in your rig? The church family has been a great source of support to me over the years, not just the Sunday morning service. How does one get the feel of church community on the road? Is it possible?
Nora

Dream True said:
This is a great post as I've wondered the same thing myself. I really like the church I attend here at home and wonder about when I hit the road. They stream the Sunday service so I know I can stay connected that way. However, it's not the same as worshipping with others.

jaxtonsgram said:
Yes. That is exactly what I was referring to. One can worship , but the connectivity of worshipping with those you know and who know you, that i will miss. Nora

I was sent to a Catholic school when I came of age, and this opened the door to the spiritual realm for me. At 10 yrs old one Sunday I heard such loudness coming from a church as I walked to a friends house, a Pentecostal church, that I had to go in and see. I have since been in churches of various denominations over the years both in the States and Mexico because I'm a traveler, as well as in buildings designed for the purpose of retreats/encounters, & chapels in the woods. Most times there was a service but many times there was not and the building was open allowing for quiet reflection. An underlying factor in all of this was my point of focus. I've also had an unexplainable and rejuvenating peace settle upon my soul while in the mountains, sitting next to a brook, or on a rock in the desert.

rm.w/aview said:
I've also had an unexplainable and rejuvenating peace settle upon my soul while in the mountains, sitting next to a brook, or on a rock in the desert.
I quite agree. There is nothing like the peace and joy that comes from being alone and quiet in nature. I think solitude and shared worship are both rejuvenating but in different ways.

rm.w/aview said:
 I've also had an unexplainable and rejuvenating peace settle upon my soul while in the mountains, sitting next to a brook, or on a rock in the desert.

The Japanese call this "kami".

If one's beliefs hold that God is everywhere, and we are all brothers and sisters in the Spirit,, fellowship should be easily found  wherever we go. A friend of ours spent a year or so going to every denomination of Christian church fellowship in his moderate sized city. Despite style differences, he was heartened by the unifying power of the love of God in each congregation.
Me, I'm just as happy on a rock in the woods, as attending a gathering.

You all have me thinking. I know higher powers can be found anywhere and everywhere. For me church was,for me, my community. Since I'm not on the road yet, it sounds very much that community can  be found outside of a building' .Just like many things change if one is on the road I will have to shift my thinking re community. Thanks to all who have responded. Nora

The community that you are a part of is much larger than that which can be contained in one building. One analogy could be you having a few such close friends while you were going through your school years. Moving on from elementary through high school and beyond, each step had you realize how much bigger the world is, how much more than what was so familiar. Leaving your neighborhood/county/state/country has you realize that there are so many more people than you were aware of when you were 10, yet still so many similarities. Perhaps you've heard reference to the church, not a church or somebody's church, but the church as a global community. Throughout the population there are bird's of a feather, folks that meet by chance(?) and shore each other up, help each other, console each other, and have some laughs together as a community. This and much more awaits you as you start your rig & put it in gear. Happy Trails!

Im looking foward to going to a joel osteen service when i hit the road.ill also attend different churches along the way.i hope to make it to the rtr someday and find a group of people that would be interested in worshiping together. Im sure theres group that already do that.

I would love to visit Gethsemani Abbey in Kentucky, where Thomas Merton was a monk.

Scout said:
Im looking foward to going to a joel osteen service when i hit the road.ill also attend different churches along the way.i hope to make it to the rtr someday and find a group of people that would be interested in worshiping together. Im sure theres group that already do that.

I hope there will be something for us Astarte-worshippers.  :)

Merton's wonderful, nothing radical about him, certainly compared to Jesus.

Can imagine what either would have said about the TV celebrity multi-millionaire scam artists.

Yes, tolerance forgiveness love. It's so hard sometimes. . .