Speaking of potty's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeeRevell said:
Of course being a man means "the world is our urinal".  Trees are often convenient.

I'm with you 100%. It's kind of like picking up after your dog. If my dog's poop is good enough to be tossed into a trash can then so is mine! And if it's good enough for his pee to be left on x, y & z then so is mine as well. Besides, when you're risking peeing on yourself vs. peeing all over a toilet, all of a sudden you've the the aim of a sniper. That being said, I'm a cheater and carry a portable potty for emergencies and the 3am it's-too-cold-for-this-s--t wake up calls.

As soon as RTR starts smelling of urine, I'm out of there!!

I did seriously hear that last year a few people (women) left because of that. Sounds like this year there will be many more people camped within a distance to walk to the seminars.

Just sayin'....

For those travelers using an Android Mobile Device,  there is an app for finding public toilets now.

FLUSH  (rated one of the best apps of 2015)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=toilet.samruston.com.toilet

Nice little desktop icon too

7dkQ3Z6QOP_EySHp4tSK4iBtLDNnKtNpCPXzn48tBoIgf7DR8CjVCjy0Mk6QLQ9rzw=w300

It's display information is similar to a GPS

uufB69vTLRTnHEfW75Yzfzh--TYrm02zTf9T8Dpgg9lh5bLrKtAIUXOPQfqZlHFNAg=h310

River Septic in Parker will deliver a porta potty for $150. Good for about 20 people for a weekend.
That's about 3 bucks a day per person.
I don't know their pump fee, We use them for a weekend at our events in Hope/Salome and they they pick it up.

ZoNiE said:
River Septic in Parker will deliver a porta potty for $150. Good for about 20 people for a weekend.
That's about 3 bucks a day per person.
I don't know their pump fee, We use them for a weekend at our events in Hope/Salome and they they pick it up.

Sounds like civilization is coming to the RTR.

WriterMs said:
As soon as RTR starts smelling of urine, I'm out of there!!

I did seriously hear that last year a few people (women) left because of that. Sounds like this year there will be many more people camped within a distance to walk to the seminars.

Just sayin'....

I am sure that didn't happen!....However my question are Women disposing of Urine more efficiently then men.....How do you suggest Urine be disposed of????    Since most people use a bucket for going to the bathroom....

So, after the bathroom break,one kid washed his hands and the other kid didn't.The kid who washed his hands said"My mother taught me to wash my hands after pissing"The other kid replied"My mother taught me to not piss on myself"

Bob Dickerson said:
So, after the bathroom break,one kid washed his hands and the other kid didn't.The kid who washed his hands said"My mother taught me to wash my hands after pissing"The other kid replied"My mother taught me to not piss on myself"

Typhoid Billy. ~~~ :dodgy:

Bob
It's good to see you're only stopping for a week !
Every group has to have a comedian .

Sameer said:
I am sure that didn't happen!....However my question are Women disposing of Urine more efficiently then men.....How do you suggest Urine be disposed of????    Since most people use a bucket for going to the bathroom....

First, I do separate the urine from what goes in the bucket, so I use a big laundry detergent bottle that I can easily carry to a pit toilet or other toilet to empty. If I am quite alone or far from others, I dispose of small amounts by dumping in out of the way places.

Sameer said:
The best way to urinate is outside....or late at night in a bottle and then dump it out in the morning.  Not in the same spot.  Nothing to clean up!

I use a bottle whether I'm camping, road-tripping or at work (I drive commercially).  For daily use I have a tall bicycle water bottle and dump it either in next available toilet or in out-of-the-way bushes/trees/grass, etc.  
If I'm camping for extended periods, I have a much larger plastic bottle that holds 1.5 gallons that I got from a urologist.   

I do have a flushable camp toilet (but not when I'm at work), but I find it much easier to pee into a bottle, especially when it's dark.

Well, I use a bucket or a cat-hole. i am always Boondocking so I am usually at a great distance from anyone. I urinate outside just like my dog, but not in the same spot. That's really the key for me! I have owned three porta-potties and nobody could pay me any amount of money to use or own ever again.

When I was a kid I bucked logs on a landing. (With a chainsaw I cut up trees that were stacked at a large, clear area for loaders and trucks to operate.) Since the whole crew were dudes and we were out in the woods, I would walk about 8 feet away and pee there, then go right back to work. When summer time came, it got gross were I worked. It was embarrassing, too.

Next year I spread my pee around rather than peeing more or less in the same general area. Never had a problem then. The environment was able to handle being peed on, but not constantly peed on in the same area. If I were compelled to pee or dump bottled urine around my van or camper, I would spread it out.

Canine said:
Next year I spread my pee around rather than peeing more or less in the same general area. Never had a problem then. The environment was able to handle being peed on, but not constantly peed on in the same area. If I were compelled to pee or dump bottled urine around my van or camper, I would spread it out.

This is the key! 

The pee isn't the problem, it's peeing, or dumping your pee in the same spot all the time that causes the problem.
Bob

Okay. Let's do some math.

The "average" person puts out about half a gallon per day. Let's say that at the peak of RTR, there are roughly 140 people there. That is about 70 gallons per day. Times however many days.

Consider there should be over 100 rigs at the peak days, too. So I wonder how far one has to walk to "spread out" 70 gallons per day? A decent walk for those parked nearest the campfire might still be in an outer rig's "backyard."

Plus there is a lack of privacy vegetation for those going direct from the source to the ground. LOL

I'm not saying there MUST be a problem. Only just thought of this from the earliest posts on this thread. Just saying it is something for those who normally boondock all alone to think about preparing for.

WriterMs said:
Okay. Let's do some math.

The "average" person puts out about half a gallon per day. Let's say that at the peak of RTR, there are roughly 140 people there. That is about 70 gallons per day. Times however many days.

Consider there should be over 100 rigs at the peak days, too. So I wonder how far one has to walk to "spread out" 70 gallons per day?  A decent walk for those parked nearest the campfire might still be in an outer rig's "backyard."

Plus there is a lack of privacy vegetation for those going direct from the source to the ground. LOL

I'm not saying there MUST be a problem. Only just thought of this from the earliest posts on this thread. Just saying it is something for those who normally boondock all alone to think about preparing for.

Well, the math is just a little bit off IMO.

First off, none of us are at ground central for 24 hours a day...maybe most of us only 6 to 8 hours. Not all attend every seminar and not all hang out at the fire for the entire evening.

So we can perhaps cut that 70 gallons a day by at least half and I'd say more like only 25% if that.

Most of the women will go home to use their own toilets, particularly during the daytime. 

I'm not saying it can't be a problem but it's not the really huge problem that your math would indicate.

Almost There said:
Well, the math is just a little bit off IMO.

First off, none of us are at ground central for 24 hours a day...maybe most of us only 6 to 8 hours. Not all attend every seminar and not all hang out at the fire for the entire evening.

So we can perhaps cut that 70 gallons a day by at least half and I'd say more like only 25% if that.

I did not mean just in the immediate campfire area -- man, that would be uninhabitable in a day. LOL. I was thinking that most who come to RTR will be parked within walking distance (within sight?) of the campfire though. Maybe some will park way off and drive in for the seminars or community dinners?

But my thought was that most will park in the general vicinity...so even if folks are at their rigs for most of their needs, that is still a lot of liquid. I wanted to make the point since so many men have been posting that they will simply go outside and pee in different places. When you are at a gathering versus solo boondocking, some may need to plan a bit differently.