Speaking of potty's

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snow gypsy, I have seen that one while searching portable solutions. I bought a mini truck bed full of camping gear a few years ago and when unloading I found a portable potty. dometic I think, the kind you need to separate and dump at a station. good to have a review on something that is in the inexpensive range. do you use the recommended products also.

That Reliance, bag in a bucket. Perfect solution.

I use the same model as Snow Gypsy but place it on a little riser when stationary so it is a bit taller. The inner bucket makes it a snap to change out bags

KristinaKarina said:
Has anyone tried a dry compost toilet?
I am more and more coming to view water filled toilet bowls and their effluence as an unnecessary luxury, and
a pain to dispose.

Mm-hmm. Had one in the Yukon, in a house even, and it was brand new and vented through the ceiling. Thing still stunk. :rolleyes:

Brian_and_Jesse said:
Mm-hmm.  Had one in the Yukon, in a house even, and it was brand new and vented through the ceiling.  Thing still stunk.  :rolleyes:

As long as both liquid and solid waste are allowed to remain in the same container, it WILL have an odor. It's the combination of the two that create the smell!

That's why a separating toilet works so well - each of the liquid and the solids are in different containers > no odor.

The summer home that I grew up in has had a composting toilet for probably 30 years but the container is exterior to the cottage and has an evaporator system. The vent had to be extended on the composting unit until it was high enough to extend above the roof line of the building. Once that was done there was no noticeable odor at all.