South Dakota residency

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone changed their address and residency to South Dakota through escapes. And if so was it hard or was it easy and what were the pros and cons that you found. We're thinking about doing that but I would like to get some other opinions first.

Let me know what happens for you. I've considered South Dakota. Not so sure I want to do it through Escapees though if they'll help me get insurance, I might.

I used Americas Mailbox in Rapid City when I hit the road eight years ago. One of the people there is an insurance agent and he got me fixed up. I've since parted ways with Americas Mailbox and have residency in a different state, but my insurance has followed me.

MrNoodly said:
I've since parted ways with Americas Mailbox and have residency in a different state, but my insurance has followed me.

Were you able to stay with the SD agent or did you need to get a different agent in the new state?

The insurance was with Progressive and I just went online to change my address and modify my coverage a little. Don't need an agent. One of the advantages of SD residency is lower insurance rates, but the rate for my new location was lower.

^
Being able to do everything online would be great. I've been with State Farm for several decades and have always needed to get a new agent whenever I moved to a different state. I think I'll give Progressive and SD residency a look.

Wandering Zombies said:
We're thinking about doing that but I would like to get some other opinions first.

I've used a SD mail forwarder in the past but didn't do residency. I've been thinking of changing to SD and one thing I found in my research is that although you can get residency in one day, there are some things that require your presence there for at least 30 days.

One is the QMB program that pays the Medicare premium for low income people. Related to that is the fact that SD is one of the states that have not expanded Medicaid.

Another is if you want a SD concealed carry permit.

There are probably more, so do some more research before deciding.

I'm curious, what is the benefit of SD residency?
Less taxes or is insurance cheaper?
I know Delaware has low taxes.

South Dakota makes it very easy to qualify as a resident. Stay at least one night in a paid accommodation (that includes RV parks, campgrounds, etc.) Bring the receipt from that stay along with the usual ID requirements to the DMV, sign a form that says you'll eventually become a real resident, do the usual driver license stuff, and that's it. No proof of permanent address. It takes longer for license plates to arrive, but mail forwarding services deal with that.

No state income tax (which is cool if you make enough that you would otherwise pay state taxes)
No vehicle inspection
Lower insurance

A down side is that you need to renew your DL in person or use their inconvenient remote renewal procedure. I didn't want to go all the way back to SD, so it was easier (in my case) to change everything to the state I happened to be in at the time.

Another is that SD license plates outside SD pretty much advertise you're a full time wanderer.

MrNoodly said:
South Dakota makes it very easy to qualify as a resident. Stay at least one night in a paid accommodation (that includes RV parks, campgrounds, etc.) Bring the receipt from that stay along with the usual ID requirements to the DMV, sign a form that says you'll eventually become a real resident, do the usual driver license stuff, and that's it. No proof of permanent address. It takes longer for license plates to arrive, but mail forwarding services deal with that.

No state income tax (which is cool if you make enough that you would otherwise pay state taxes)
No vehicle inspection
Lower insurance

A down side is that you need to renew your DL in person or use their inconvenient remote renewal procedure. I didn't want to go all the way back to SD, so it was easier (in my case) to change everything to the state I happened to be in at the time.

Another is that SD license plates outside SD pretty much advertise you're a full time wanderer.
Interesting.
I can confirm that California plates outside of California are a magnet for cops who think all Californians are musicians hopped up on drugs. Which really sucks when you actually are a musician.
And both NY and CA seem to derive half of their state budgets from DMV fees and such.
I did manage to transfer my CA license to NY and get a new drivers license during the pandemic. No road test or anything.
If I can do that I'm sure the SD online thing is a breeze.

Add WA to that list of expensive DMV states. In WA the DMV is called DOL. Maybe they do Licensing for other activities besides driving vehicles.

Latest posts