Sorting out existing antennae

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WriterMs

Reaction score
I'm going to be looking into getting a signal booster for my mobile hotspot, but I first need to understand if any of the 3 antennae installed in my van could be used with the booster. My van was a former public transit van, so I'm sure one antenna was for local radio contact with the home base.

Here is my question: What type of service technician can best tell me what the heck I've got? Do I go to an RV dealership, a "car stereo" place where they install, a mechanics shop?

Or, is it likely none of what I have would work anyway?

Thanks for your suggestions,
Carla

4g boosters are only legal with the antennas they are sold with or others tested and approved with that particular model of booster.

highdesertranger said:
got any pics of your antennas?  highdesertranger

I do not have pics now.. but in a couple of days when the severe storms and tornado watches pass...LOL.. I will get some. I am concerned that it won't matter if it is true I must use an approved antenna for a 4G booster. I'll look at the link Bob posted, too.

blars said:
4g boosters are only legal with the antennas they are sold with or others tested and approved with that particular model of booster.

I see by looking at Bob's antenna suggestion that Blars is very right -- there is a big disclaimer about having the provider's approval for any antenna.

Thanks to all!

It' a new FCC rule because when you add the antenna, essentially you become a low-powered broadcast station. The antenna is already approved by the FCC but they want you to register it with your provider. I didn't bother and I can't imagine how it could ever become an issue. In other words, just forget the whole thing.

But, get the antenna, it is truly outstanding! It's directional so you have to turn it to get the best signal, but once you found it does a great job. It's very light so you can put it on a mast and get it way up in the air and it does even better.

Highly recommended!
Bob

I understand the licensing requrements for two-way radios transmitting over a certain power level, but a wifi hub isn't very powrrful, is it? We aren't trying to run a station, just our devices a few feet away.

We're talking about cell phone amplifiers and antennas, or at least I am. The cell tower here is 20 miles away and my antenna gets to and from it no problem with 4 bars of 4g.

I've had several friends show up with Verizon and they got nothing while I've got 4 bars.
Bob

So how do I attach it to my cell? It has an internal antenna.  :-/

It attaches to the Wilson Sleek which then amplifies the signal and rebroadcasts it as WIFI.

The Sleek is a cradle that your phone, MIFI or Jetpack sets in.
Bob

Bob, is there any chance you have done a blog post with your set-up that you discuss in this thread. Your blog posts usually do a great job at breaking info down and showing pictures which really helps me. I used to be able to read specs and understand stuff but not so much anymore. Now I need the 'dummy' version as in simple concepts, very little jargon and lots of pictures to supplement the words.

I'm still lost on how you use the cell antenna signal booster, is it permanently mounted to the outside of your van? It wasn't until I came back to this thread to re reread it that I realized you were discussing 2 products. I totally skipped over the Wilson Sleek the 1st few times I read it. Don't want to pepper you with my very ignorant questions if you have a blog post I can't find about it. I'm realizing I'm going to be needing something along these lines if I want to get away from the city much (& I do!) My first trip in my van I didn't have cell service even on some main roads. For emergency and health reasons, having working cell phone is something for me to make possible. At this point in time I'll not be going to such remote areas where only a sat phone will work.

Fortunately, installing the Sleek is very simple. You plug in the power cord, put the magnetic antenna on the roof and plug it in and it's working. It comes with different size arms to hold different size of devices and you adjust the arms to fit your phone or Jetpack. And that's it, it's working and doing a very good job. You'll usually get 2 extra bars with it on.

Getting the directional antenna to work is more complicated. You have to buy the antenna, a cable which is unique, an adapter for the cable and another adapter to the Sleek. I had to write Wilson's customer service to get it right, their website is not helpful. It was worth it to me, because it picks up another 2 bars over the Sleeks antenna, so that;s 4 bars I gained with the combo.

Apparently 4g is stronger than all other signals because where we are you either get a weak 4g, or nothing at all. I had a friend come in with the Sleek and he got nothing, he never could connect. Another friend with a Sleek and a truckers antenna could get 1 or 2 bars of 4g but it would drop and come and go. I started with the just the Sleek and that was my experience also--intermittent 1 or 2 bars of 4g.

When I switched to the Directional antenna, it jumped to a rock solid 4 bars 100% of the time. I'm astounded by it's quality.

The tower is 20 miles away!!!!

Yes, I will write a blog post on it. It's worth it. I just cut and pasted this into Word and it will be the foundation of the post. Heopfully I'll do it soon.

Here's the Sleek, I think every boondocker should have it
http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-Sleek-Kit-Packaging/dp/B00I9I67Z2/
Bob

Bob, how do you handle phone calls: bluetooth? speaker phone? something else?

Thanks, --Spiff

Do you need the Sleek to work with the directional antenna or can you go straight through to the phone/jetpack without it?

Enquiring minds want to know... :)

I rarely make pone calls so if I'm out of range I don't care. But yes, you can use a Bluetooth ear piece.

I don't think it would work without the amplifier to receive the signal from the antenna, but I don't know. Few devices come with an antenna jack any.more.

I learned about this antenna from RVSue and Crew, which everyone should subscribe to!! She has a Jetpack with an antenna jack. See her post here for details on how she does it:
http://rvsueandcrew.net/8014-2/

AT - on the link above to RV Sue's antenna for her Verizon jetpack she says that's all she uses is the antenna, not amplifier like the sleek. I think it's in the comments section. It's also written that an amplifier would help boost a weak signal, just a Bob has stated.

If I'm looking at things correctly than I believe from my research that Wilson (now weBoost) has a new version of the sleek for 4g data capability. You can also find it on amazon. I think it's called weBoost mobile 4G amplifier or something similarly easy to comprehend.

Now whether the new (more expensive) version is required, I don't know. Technomenia,or whatever their name is, did a test run of pre 2014 amplifiers like the sleek and the newer version. Now to get the test results you need to pay $57 for their yearly membership or wait until they make it available for free.

Bob seems to be using his version just fine. I always wonder whether buying the latest & greatest gets a product that is more future proof or gets a product that doesn't have the bugs worked out yet.

Thanks Bob for the link. That helps clarify things for me. Like I said I need the 'dummy' version - lots of pictures and words. Can't draw them myself from just the main concepts.

gypsychic said:
Bob seems to be using his version just fine. I always wonder whether buying the latest & greatest gets a product that is more future proof or gets a product that doesn't have the bugs worked out yet.

There's only so much space in the cellular bands.  To meet the demand for 4G service - which is exploding - it's inevitable that they will have to repurpose some of their 2G and 3G bands for 4G use.

I've seen one report that in some of the big metro areas, Verizon has run out of 4G band space and has already begun switching some 3G bandwidth to 4G - which means the people running 3G are going to be more crowded and running slower than before.

Regards
John