Song suggestions for grief/hope?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capricci

Reaction score
• I've been just utterly devastated this week by a breakup. Not coping well, overall. Been up and down and insane with grief all week. But yesterday I found a little relief with music. It's helping me to cry it out, I guess is how I would describe it. I don't expect the mourning to pass any time soon. I've lost enough beloveds to death now to know that grief takes her sweet damn time. Anyway, I need "break up" song suggestions, but they have to be a specific type. They have to be forward-thinking and hopeful. I found Lobo's "I'd Love You to Want Me" in a break-up list and it really helped me to shift my heart from the one I lost to thoughts of the one I might find, if I can just let go. Does anyone know of any more songs like that? Songs that can help me grieve, but also help me move on? Older songs? Not this modern crap?

(Warning: A little tongue-in-cheek. Some humour intended.)

Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats

This part always gives me vivid mental images:

I dug my key into the side
Of his pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive
Carved my name into his leather seats
I took a Louisville slugger to both head lights
I slashed a hole in all four tires
Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats

capricci
This isn't a song but I thought you could make use of a Dr Seuss quote: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

I'm no stranger to heartbreak. A coping skill I used in my 20's was to rephrase a line of an old Scottish fighting ballad which goes: "I'll lay me down and bleed awhile then I'll fight again." My version went: I'll lay me down and cry awhile then I'll love again." That mantra acknowledged my hurt yet held a promise of happier days.

Another time I found it helped to create an imaginary space in a corner of my heart ...a box with a one way slot. Every time I had a sad memory that threatened to bring on tears, I mentally put that memory through the slot. The memory was still mine but my imagery was that once in the box it No Longer had the power to cause me hurt. I was protected from the hurt. I'd basically cried or been on the verge of tears every waking moment for 2 weeks when I came up with the one way slot idea. Saved my sanity. Wishing you well.

judyg said:
capricci
This isn't a song but I thought you could make use of a Dr Seuss quote: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

I'm no stranger to heartbreak. A coping skill I used in my 20's was to rephrase a line of an old Scottish fighting ballad which goes: "I'll lay me down and bleed awhile  then I'll fight again." My version went: I'll lay me down and cry awhile then I'll love again." That mantra acknowledged my hurt yet held a promise of happier days.

Omigosh! I LOVE that! Thats worth at least a daycs crying, that one quote alone!

Well, this may be way off track for you, but when I was in full mourning, I fell in love with DeBussy's Suite Bergamasque, commonly called Clair du Lune.  The lack of words let me "see" my own way with the music.  Sometimes words just aren't quite right and music without words can really speak to your soul in a much more personal way.

And sometimes I'd listen to Chopin's Piano Sonata #2 in B Flat Minor, Opus 35, commonly called "Funeral March".  Somehow, the first part of that piece made me smile; maybe because it's so dramatic!  Then it changes to sweetness and just about the time you can't stand anymore "sweet", the death march returns and becomes almost angry, and then it just dies.  Very much like your emotions.  Down up and all around till you're just worn out.

Hang on.

(anything by the Carpenters) Carpenters -- Goodbye to Love (put this one on REPEAT)

The Love I Lost by Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

A Case of You by Joni Mitchell

River by Joni Mitchell

You're No Good by Linda Ronstadt

Forgiveness by Sarah McLachlan https://youtu.be/cFaBr-jKI5M

Nothing Left to Say by Staind 

And after you allow yourself to just wallow in pain, try

Nothing I Can Do About It Now by Willie Nelson

Hang in there.

This version of The Rose...
This is far more appropriate than my other suggestion, sorry for that one.
"The Rose" actually has me think of you directly, even the lyric's timeline speak of you.

Lee Ann Womack--- I Hope You Dance

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk