Something I'm considering...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LughTheBard said:
I might still get seduced by a step van! :)

YES.....Come to the Darkside my son!! :cool:

Stepvans are so much fun to drive, and have so much interior room...what's not to like??

Actually, Stepvans are what originally attracted me this. I've just had trouble finding the right one, so have expanded my search parameters to include vans and ambulances. Basically, I figure I'll go with what presents itself and intrigues me most when the money arrives. I can always change later. I have a pretty wide comfort range. That's one of the reasons I feel attracted to van dwelling.

Well, Dude...tell me what kinda parameters you need to work from, and I'll see if I kin shake something acceptable outta the trees for yas!!

Well, my height (6'3") probably isn't as much of an issue for a step van.

I do medieval recreation and help run a Medieval Summer Camp program, so I need a bit more storage than average for costumes, musical instruments, armor, props, etc. (I also hope to work some Renn Faires, so that stuff is more than just junk that I might be attached to.)

Other than that, I'm hoping to keep my vehicle budget between $2500-$5000. Might be able to do more, but hoping to keep a little margin for unplanned repairs.

Suppose I could, but I'd need to buy one. Haven't really priced those. Also, although I'm not TOO worried about stealth, (I'm planning to attach racks for a bicycle and a scooter.) a cargo trailer might be a lot of drag and added security probs. Something to think about, though. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it some thought!

a van with a cargo trailer would be a very versitile combination, and would give you alot of flexability. You can get a pretty good van for $3500, and pick-up a trailer for $1500, and still be right on budget.

Another good thing is that if you're running a summer camp, then a van can haul a bunch of people if the need arises. the bench seats in a van can be easily removed, and be replaced by a removable bedframe for camping time.

where are you located??

I'm in Tucson. I just found a '78 Dodge Xplorer for $1900 on CL. I think I'm gonna go with that for now, maybe add a trailer once I'm sure everything is set up to my tastes. A step van probably would have been perfect, but I couldn't pass up this deal. Plus less work for me up front!

Update:Well, I thought it would be less work up front. Didn't expect the previous owner to be such an unethical excuse for a person. He did a real good job of hiding some problems including the fact that it had very recently sat for years. I figured it had to have sat for awhile sometime to have such low miles, but it appeared to be running so well that I figured the problems from sitting had been resolved.

Turns out that was wishful thinking. The fuel tank was so corroded it had to be replaced. The original tank is impossible to find, so had to order the "low end" OEM tank for that year. (A downgrade from 35 to 22 gallons) then found out nobody stocks the filler tube for that tank. Had to have that fabricated. The entire fuel system needed to be overhauled and the carburetor needed to be rebuilt. I haven't done any refurbishing because repairs have siphoned away all the money I budgeted for that.
It's been a rough start, but I'm still optimistic and looking on the bright side, after all, the repairs I've taken care of shouldn't bother me after I get out on the road! :) and I've had a chance to broach the subject of me spending time on the road to my boss and he thinks it's a cool idea as long as I come back now and again to work for him. Nice to have backup!

I kind of have to laugh at everybody's warnings about stealth when it comes to ambulances......just think outside the box !!....leave the red lights on whenever you park ! (sirens.....not so much).
KinA

basically it is illegal to leave the red lights on. they should have been removed prior to the sale. highdesertranger

The legality of the lights really depends on what state it is registered in. As an 8+ year owner of an ambulanc that I used to drive daily, I have dealt with lots of laws and what not. Tennessee states that you can have red lights, so long as they do not blink more than 60 cycles a minute. Every state has some sort of lighting codes for vehicles. Good luck on your build!

Well, you got yourself a rig, but that sucks about the gastank!!

You couldn't find a replacement one in a junkyard??

also, did you take this rig out for a good test drive?? :s

well...at lest you've got spare funds for the trailer idea now!!

PICTURES MAN!!!