Something I'm considering...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the information, Duck! Yeah, sounds lie things are a bit different in the Frozen North™! <grin> I frequently check a site called

www.publicsurplus.com They often have all sorts of things up for auction. I also check it for cargo vans.
Ultimately, it will probably be whatever I like that's available when the money comes in which will decide what i get. We'll see!

Lugh:)

New guy here, I have an ambulance, and there are endless possibilities for the inside. Plus the outside compartments are great for holding a grill, tools, and things you don't use as often.

Lots of hi $$$ Ambo builds over at expo

Expedition Portal (dot) com / forum

I average around 9 mpg. I am going to add a water/methanol, injection sprayer that claims to add real world 3 to 5 mpg increase. Maybe add propane injection as well. Lots of people build diesels for power these days, I am building for economy. I am also considering changing the transmission to a 9 speed to aid in economy. It is hard to pull mpg out of such a heavy truck, but I will keep at it. I love how durable it is, so it is worth the headache.
I frequent the expedition portal often, lots of great ideas there as well.

Baloo said:
New guy here, I have an ambulance, and there are endless possibilities for the inside. Plus the outside compartments are great for holding a grill, tools, and things you don't use as often.

I've heard that as those bodies get old, the outside compartments can start to leak in rainstorms. So be careful with tools and stuff that you don't want to rust.

Regards
John

9 mpg is not much different than an Class A or Class C will get--and they have a lot more room.

baloo I saw from your other post that your rig is an international. what engine? highdesertranger

It is the dt360a, much like the 5.9l cummins, just a tougher bottom end and a wet sleeved block.

I checked the link on the SWAT ambulance. It's still active. I'm wondering. Could there be something horribly wrong that it's apparently still available after all this time? Or is it destiny? Or are they doing a bait and switch? I will have the money soon.

Well, give it a test drive and see if you can have a mechanic do a run-over to mark all the problems. May take a bit of your cash, but it'll be worth it.

Well, once I have the money in hand, I'll have to make the decision of whether to risk the money to travel to MN to test-drive it. Since I'm in AZ, that's a factor as well. :)

LughTheBard said:
Well, once I have the money in hand, I'll have to make the decision of whether to risk the money to travel to MN to test-drive it. Since I'm in AZ, that's a factor as well. :)

If you want something similar to that, a simple cut away box van may be a cheaper and easier to convert choice.

Retired mini school buses and shuttle buses can be another choice as well.

Do keep in mind that in some area's parking patrols don't take kindly to vehicles with dually's parked on the street.

Since you mentioned duallys....I'm glad I don't have to screw with them anymore.
I'm a stickler about tire pressure and I was constantly monitoring them on the RV. Just a few pounds difference in a set can cause excessive heat and wear, not to mention a blowout if the difference is too far under the mark. Then, there's always the added cost when replacements are needed.
Oh....and have you ever had to change an inside flat??? It sux!!!
I think the tires on the RV weighed more than I do and I'd have needed one hell of a cheater pipe to break loose the lugs.

I like having 4 tires under the van a lot better :)

LughTheBard said:

MN uses chemical de-icers on the roads. You are better off with local stock. Save travel money.

-Wayne

I do like shuttle buses and short buses. There are some of those around here. I hadn't really thought about the maintenance issues with duelies. I did think about what de-icers might have done to the body, though. That's why I thought it might be a case of buying someone else's problem.
Ultimately, I'll probably go for a van to keep life simpler. I just like examining other options. And I really appreciate you all sharing your experience and wisdom with me! Thank you!

Lugh

duallys like everything else in life has pluses and minuses. bindi&us pointed out some of the negatives. now for some of the positives. they handle heavy loads much better, when towing the tow vehicle handles much better, they get excellent traction(I almost never have to put my truck in 4 wheel drive), if you where to get a flat you can slow down and find a safe place to pull over, your rear axle braking is vastly improved(this has to do with the traction). so the moral of the story is if you have a heavy vehicle or tow a heavy load dual rear tires are worth the inconveniences imho. highdesertranger

Good points, HDR. And I imagine they're great for stability in high winds too! I just am not sure I wanna deal with maintaining them. Thanks for your input, though! And who knows, I might still get seduced by a step van! :)

I can go along with the pluses when it comes to dually tires, but I'm sure enjoying the simpler life in the van. We're having so much fun that not having the van finished inside doesn't even bother us much at all.
It'll be nice when payday rolls around and we can add a few things tho :)
The galley space is the most important addition we need to do. Samiches and eating out are sorta getting old....need some cooked meals ;)