Something I Found Amusing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephson

Reaction score
I stumbled across this video by The Onion and it had me chuckling a bit. Imagine that this is, at least in part, how much of the wider world views vehicle dwellers.

[video=youtube]

lol...or the one on there about the wearable computer.

It's like how we always talk about helping the poor people who live it mud huts on a beach without electric or jobs and rely on fish and coconuts to survive. Then we go camping, make movies, and write books about the fantasy of living on a deserted island to escape the crushing humdrum of our 9-5, 3k sq ft debt pit.

I searched the onion web site but it did not show up....

TrainChaser said:
You do know what The Onion is, right?

Yup!

I just find this video to be an amusing bit of social commentary. It's meant to be funny and satirical, but despite that, or perhaps because of it, it rings true in how the vast majority of people view success.

Doing theatre for a living, I earn significantly less than many of the people with whom I went to high school. I sometimes watch their social media postings where they complain about how crappy and awful their lives are because they're trapped in jobs and lifestyles that they hate. I may not have the three bedroom house or the Mercedes and BMW in the garage, but I'm happy with my life. I go to work to play and earn enough to live on, even if it's a struggle sometimes. While I'm single and don't have any kids, I have family who are always happy to see me. I have a few close friends and a lot of not so close friends. I don't understand how they can be so miserable when they have so much. They don't understand how I can be so happy when I have so little.

I think this little video reflects that.

Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.
— Abraham Lincoln (not)