Solo women's studio and home on wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered getting an aluminium boat and turning it upside down for a roof?
If you are set on wood, they made boats out of that as well.
The seats can be cut out if fastened to the roof.
Being in the great lakes area, they may be around. Look for one deep enough.
Something like this:
00m0m_5bp285Xltak_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• 00m0m_5bp285Xltak_600x450.jpg
    00m0m_5bp285Xltak_600x450.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 29
Todays progress. The front supports haven't been built yet. and I have one side support sort of in, but its not bolted down yet. Its coming a long :)

vanroofsmaller.jpg

Attachments

• vanroofsmaller.jpg
    vanroofsmaller.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 46
DannyB1954 said:
Have you considered getting an aluminium boat and turning it upside down for a roof?
If you are set on wood, they made boats out of that as well.
The seats can be cut out if fastened to the roof.
Being in the great lakes area, they may be around. Look for one deep enough.
Something like this:

That would be a good idea! But I'm pretty set on what I have going. Its hard to tell in the pictures exactly what its like, but its going well. Ill make a video once the whole frame is up I think and maybe put it up so its easier to see.

tonyandkaren said:
Thanks for the update! I've been wondering about you and your van but I couldn't remember anything except for the monarch painted on the side.  A search for van + monarch didn't get me anywhere so I was glad to see your post. Looking forward to more progress reports!

Thank you!!! I need to finish that damn butterfly.

All the left side support beams are up. They are bolted glued and screwed down to the wooden and metal frame. The pictures explain it all. tomorrow I want to build my windows for that side. I ordered the special glass (forget the name) that windshields are made out of so it won't shatter. Just two sheets of 12x12 that I will build a frame around and put centered in-between the side supports. Im also probably going to run a 2x4 horizontal in between all the left side supports. 

Now that the top roof part is up, its easy to tell how high it is. It stands about 18 inches above the frame. Even if I stand as tall as I can on the tips of my toes my head doesn't touch. 

Sidesupports.jpg

sidesupportclose.jpg

underbolt.jpg

topbolt.jpg

sideandfrontbolt.jpg

Attachments

• Sidesupports.jpg
    Sidesupports.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 33
  • sidesupportclose.jpg
    sidesupportclose.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 23
  • underbolt.jpg
    underbolt.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 23
  • topbolt.jpg
    topbolt.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 19
  • sideandfrontbolt.jpg
    sideandfrontbolt.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 19
Heres more detail of the finished back. (except maybe one more horizontal beam running across the back two supports) 

To be honest I'm not really sure what to do about the actual corners... Where the edges of the roof will meet. I feel like I need supports going up, but I don't know how to do it. 

Im definitely open to suggestions and advice, if anyone has any.... 

back.jpgbackcorner.jpgbackcupports.jpg

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 38
  • backcorner.jpg
    backcorner.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 35
  • backcupports.jpg
    backcupports.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 26
Caroline57 said:
To be honest I'm not really sure what to do about the actual corners... Where the edges of the roof will meet. I feel like I need supports going up, but I don't know how to do it. 

Im definitely open to suggestions and advice, if anyone has any.... 

Maybe cut two 45 degree angles down one of the skinny sides of a 2X4 then cut to length and angle for the corner support.

Made a window, one down, three to go :)

2cc08eb18b632ed23e3f0555c56c5d7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. maybe Youtube can help with framing, as in do a search for hip roof gable roof etc. layout or construction.

Just three more windows and a couple more boards and the frame will be all done... 

van front frame.jpg

Attachments

• van front frame.jpg
    van front frame.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 40
Looking good, Caroline! Like those pretty window frames.

Hi,
I'm a bit late to this thread but first congrats on all your adventures! You are definitely starting out right at your age. Nice artwork too! I don't consider myself an artist but have been woodworking the last 18 years. As far as a wooden high top is concerned you could by all means make one much lighter than a fiberglass roof and very strong too. If i were to make one out of wood, I'd build it like they do a cedar strip canoe. Not only incredibly strong, but very lightweight as well. And Cedar is great for exterior environments.

I think you're motivated and determined and have already begun the high top and I have no doubt it's going to work just fine.

Congrats & good luck!

Matt

Every Road Leads Home said:
Hi,
I'm a bit late to this thread but first congrats on all your adventures! You are definitely starting out right at your age. Nice artwork too! I don't consider myself an artist but have been woodworking the last 18 years. As far as a wooden high top is concerned you could by all means make one much lighter than a fiberglass roof and very strong too. If i were to make one out of wood, I'd build it like they do a cedar strip canoe. Not only incredibly strong, but very lightweight as well. And Cedar is great for exterior environments.

I think you're motivated and determined and have already begun the high top and I have no doubt it's going to work just fine.

Congrats & good luck!

Matt

I have been thinking about cedar! But haven't made final decisions yet. Thank you so much! :)

image.jpeg

Progress. The roof is almost completely done. Tomorrow I'm putting a sail boat hatch in the middle of the roof for a skylight and so I can climb out it. Then the whole roof is on, the only thing left is some bolts screws and the metal trim and Windows. Sitting on the roof has become one of my favorite thigs to do, so I've just started calling it the deck :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 47
Sweet!!! Love that hatch idea. Will your roof support your weight so you can hang out up there??

Queen said:
Sweet!!!  Love that hatch idea.  Will your roof support your weight so you can hang out up there??

Yup! I sit up there all the time. So I know it can support my weight easily, but Im small, so I'd like to test it with a guy sitting up there with me. I can hang from it, jump on it and it does just fine. I think you could easily have two people sitting up there. It's got 5 supports on each side and three on the front and back and it's all 2x4s bolted down to the steel frame.

That is just great, Caroline. Should be a wonderful place to make some art as well.

So here is the ceiling from the inside. Sorry for the bad picture by you get the point. Eventually the 2x4s will be sanded down and white washed. After the walls are finished.

6343ca9b4dee671b211fb1c3dc4018e6.jpg

Here is the ceiling once the bottom part of the hatch is in.

99efeccd1cd52586db45641d43841342.jpg

And awkward picture of my all dirty and siting on the roof screwing the ceiling in from above

484139bb360b75ed72711a6fcc9b3737.jpg

Last but not least the top. Tomorrow a friend is helping me and coming over and lifting the plywood on top, because it's to heavy for me. And then the just cutting the hole for the top part of the hatch and screwing and glueing it down. Then moving on to the aluminum edging.

6d13dad01cb1f067259a93b6538160eb.jpg

Wow! You're going big time with that wood top. It looks really cool.