Solo women's studio and home on wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one bit of advice when building this, I know I have said it before, but I have also put a lot of thought into this idea and you are welcome to tell me to shut up but keep it light build it like a boat, and as aero as you can,,,,,
I would build ribs like a boat growing in height from the front to the middle then decreasing 12 to 14 degrees is ideal, then thin plywood, glued and screwed, epoxied over the top, finally painted whatever colour you like, good luck and keep us posted great project glad you are finally doing it and didn;t let anyone tell you it was not possible.

Flying kurbmaster-

To be honest, your going to be disappointed, I'm not going to focus much on aerodynamics. I know this is why I keep getting shit, but I have a certain look I'm going for and it will all make sense when you see it finished. I am building ribs or a frame. I'm just having trouble getting there. I need to bend down the metal roof to meet the frame to seal it off and I'm having trouble doing that. I don't know if I should use bondo to seal it. Or if I should try and take up welding as a hobby. But it would be a big welding job. This is the UP, With all the mines up here there a lot of welders in the unions and I know a few who would teach me.
But I don't know if it's worth my time. And For the roof- I'm either going to treat it similar to a log cabin on the outside or I have another idea, but that ones a surprise. And everyone who keeps bringing up my gas mileage, I know. It's not going to be the best, but they invented these things called bikes. I plan on bringing my road bike incase I decide to to a triathlon along the way or want to bike far and my mountain bike, I get around by bike a lot to reduce my footprint.. I think I'm also going to use 1/2 inch plywood. I haven't decided yet but that's why my bother thinks I should use. I thought 1/4 would be fine if you painted it with such thick clear stuff like a log cabin but I don't know yet. I'm not to that point.

And I would never tell you to shut up, instead I'd like to encourage you to share your thoughts and ideas! I knew going into this I was going to get a Lot of people saying it was a Bad idea or not possible. And thank you, trust me I've been told many times in my life that what I want to do isn't possible. I can't decided if people just have small expectations of me or if my ideas are just too out there. I think it's 50/50. And maybe I am building a van that belongs more in a museum than the road, but it will be amazing. When I die, and my art is shown in museums and galleries they're going to put this van in the center and circle it with velvet ropes and have a shiny engraved plaque explaining what I did.

Okay so it turns out bending the metal roof down to meet the frame is going to take forever. So instead I'm using the angle grinder to cut the rest of the two inch strip of roof off. I have to say at first all the sparks from the angle grinder scared me a little, now i think this is my favorite tool I've ever used. This also solves the roof rust problem. In case anyone else has a ford econoline you will know that the roof has this little rim that sticks out on the side and is slightly slanted into the roof. This causes the little seam where it meets the roof to rust a little. Cutting this strip off and grinding it down to pure metal, then treating it, priming it and painting it. Then over the paint I'm going to fill this stupid slant in so it dosent collect water. If you ask me having it there is a design flaw, so Im goint to fix it. This also leaves the entire frame exposed though. Which makes some things easier and some things harder. Ill put up pictures later, and like I said I've video taped the whole thing.

I am totally a NON-builder, so my comment is only for something to keep in mind (not how to go about doing it).

The aerodynamics may not be ONLY for gas mileage. You will also want to consider that driving at varying speeds will put stress on the structure, and I'm guessing it doesn't take much over 30 miles per hour for that to begin. My worst nightmare would be driving along and having a piece of something give way and hit someone behind me.

With that said, I'm sure you will make sure it is safe and unique and pleasing!

you can get this two part epoxy that some body shops use for gluing panels, metal to metal, I was talking to a friend who used it on skins on an old pick up a few years back, then had an accident, totaled the truck and the glue never let go. Apparently bus companies use it in there body repair shops to glue panels on instead of welding. I asked him to look up the name for me, he said he would get back to me. The gun to dispense the tubes cost close to 80.00 and the two tubes about the same. Learning how to weld is a great idea however welding thin material is very difficult and takes a lot of experience so you are not likely to get the swing of that too soon or at least not soon enough for this project given that you already have the roof off.

So sorry its been so long. I've just been so crazy busy and had so many opportunities presented to me lately. I spent the last just over a week in Portland Oregon with my best friend. We flew out there just for a girls trip. But I have made progress. I got the boards bolted to the frame and most of the wood cut to size. I'm spending all day tomorrow and Saturday working on it. I can post a real update and pictures and news tomorrow night.

Sorry for the delay I've been extremely busy. I ended up leaving unexpectedly early (last Tuesday) for a trip to the Caribbean. A friend of mine needed crew to help out with his sail boat, and when I realized I wouldn't be able to do much on my van during winter I said I could. I thought I would be leaving a lot later, but last minute there was a change of dates. I will be island hopping in the British Virgin Islands and the French islands for a few months to possibly most the winter.

Back on topic-
I got the roof framed in and the top part of the roof up. To frame it I decided to build the roof in two parts. The actual roof that provides an elevated ceiling and the front part that catches the wind. I did this so that the part that hits the wind is bolted to the roof and won't actually put any pressure on the roof.

I build the base frame of the roof in a perfect square. I bolted 1x6s to the metal frame with a runner capper liner underneath to seal it.

cc05facb219525be090ce31689ae9509.jpg

The rest of the frame doesn't have diagonal supports yet, because I ran out of time to do it so once I get back from the Caribbean I will post pictures.

I hope everyone has a great winter!

Spending the winter months, sailing around the Caribbean???

...oh, you poor, poor child. Such a burdensome life.

Have fun & Be Well. :)

As Br'er Rabbit said, "Please, oh PLEASE don't th'ow me in that Briar Patch!"

ilovemyvanHi Caroline,
This is so cool, you're doing at 20 y/o what we wished we did when we were 20.

Following my signature are 2 links. The first is our conversion all finished and the second is over 100 photos and captions of how we did it. It might trigger some ideas for your design.

Two things I'd like to suggest to you if I may.

1) Make sure you have enough insulation. It will not only help on cooler nights but also during hot days.

2) I would strongly suggest to figure out your floor plan before you cut the roof of the van to install the high top. Here's why: Our van came with a higher top and we realized that we could use the sections of the original roof that were not cut as shelf for storage. I'm talking about the sections on  the front, above the driver and passenger seats as well as what they had left of the original roof on the back. We used the front for pantry
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Ezl4/EWgfAzH8Tqs/s640-Ic42/DSCN0107.JPG?gl=US

and the back for our clothes.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...EzmE/41krSbqW16A/s640-Ic42/DSCN0109.JPG?gl=US

We do not need to stand up under these because the bed is under the back storage and the seats are under the front one.  So to maximize your storage capacity only cut the section off the original roof where you will need to stand up. And so if you plan to have something on the floor along the side walls, do not cut to roof off above it either because this could be excellent extra storage too.

I'm not very good at explaining so I hope the photos help. If they don't let me know and I'll make a quick video of what I mean. Regardless if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. There are so many people here that will be able to help.

There will be some good and bad times doing the reno just remember those are part of the adventure.

Have fun young lady.

-Nicole

Nicole your pictures and modifications are great! My van is similar and I needed (still need) :idea: information like this so badly! It's hard to find! Thank you!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: I think I didn't post correctly. Thanks Caroline!

I am back! I spent a total of 7 months in the caribbean living on a 35 ft Camper & Nicholson. Ive been home for about a month and a half and wanted to do an update on my progress. Its been slow, it rained the first whole month home, but I've got a decent amount done on the roof, and I will post pictures later after working today, and show everything I've gotten done :)

Thanks for the update! I've been wondering about you and your van but I couldn't remember anything except for the monarch painted on the side. A search for van + monarch didn't get me anywhere so I was glad to see your post. Looking forward to more progress reports!

Alright, the rain has delayed this post, its hard to take pictures of a roofless van when its pouring out. 

So first off I put up the back supports. Two 2x4s which are screwed and glued to the back piece of wood (which is bolted to the frame) and then the 2x4s them selves are bolted to the frame. As shown

cheap1.jpg

Underneath the back frame board were some gaps. The board sat tight on the frame and you could hang on it and shake it without it moving but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry so I filled it in with this stuff

cheap2.jpg

To look more like this under there (the darker yellow stuff is the putty) and sprayed the corners gap with some expanding foam sealant stuff.

cheap3.jpg

Then I put in the back support beam that the back shelf and the vertical support rests on. Then I put the shelf on top of it, drilled a hole through a metal plate put it in between the shelf and board and bolted them together. The metal plate will then be screwed down to the  side frame boards. like this 

cheap4.jpg

The back looks like this with the shelf in. It will in the middle be bolted down to the metal frame and screwed in the back down to the wooden frame, but that hasn't been done yet. It will also be screwed using L brackets to the back support beams. 

cheap5.jpg

Attachments

• cheap1.jpg
    cheap1.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 16
  • cheap2.jpg
    cheap2.jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 16
  • cheap3.jpg
    cheap3.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 18
  • cheap4.jpg
    cheap4.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 15
  • cheap5.jpg
    cheap5.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 18
Last but not least heres a picture of the vertical support beams that will be attached and you can see the top flat part that the frame will sit on. (The top frame is built) by the way despite the back boards being cut at all sorts of weird angles and bolted to the weirdly angled frame the flat cut that the frame will sit on is perrrrrfectly level;) And you can see in this pic, maybe the most impressive part of it all, I've managed to maintain perfectly manicured nails while nannying for 3 kids and using power tools daily.  

cheap6.jpg

Oh and on that note, bolting this all to the frame was easy for me because I have really long fingernails and very small hands so fitting my hands in the little holes in the frame was simple. If someone else (cough cough, a man) were to do this they would probably have to cut holes in the frame to get there hands inside to put the nut on and tighten it down. the roof will stand high enough for someone to very comfortably stand in (if your 5'4") but not a super far above the head.

Attachments

• cheap6.jpg
    cheap6.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 20
Keeping the nails spiffy is most impressive I'll have to agree!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a few more pictures with things a little more screwed and bolted down. The back supports look wonky in the second photo, its just the angle, I stood on my kitchen step stool and held my phone above my head to take the picture, so it turned out a little weird looking, but you get the idea.

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

Attachments

• back1.jpg
    back1.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 21
  • back2.jpg
    back2.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 15